Sponsored by:

Shuddering at low speeds/high gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 11:05 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This reminds me of a brand new 2004 that had a whole tranny/engine exchange because the transmission was mounted off center to the engine - ruined the bell housing on the engine.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:38 PM
2005 Cayenne
AutoX

Default Shudder

Originally Posted by lic265
I will check the ECU upgrade on my invoice
Thanks for the advice
Did you have any luck with a fix for this problem? I am experiencing the same exact thing.

Thanks

Rob
Old 04-03-2019, 11:24 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 2005 Cayenne
Did you have any luck with a fix for this problem? I am experiencing the same exact thing.

Thanks

Rob
Had this issue on my 04. It was TQ Converter lockup clutch shudder. Replacing the solenoid in the valve body for that fixed it.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:38 AM
2005 Cayenne
AutoX

Default Converter Shudder

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Had this issue on my 04. It was TQ Converter lockup clutch shudder. Replacing the solenoid in the valve body for that fixed it.
J, Did you have the Asin Warner 09D 6-speed Transmission installed? Reason i ask is that I thought the lockup was hydraulically controlled?

Thanks,
Rob

Old 04-04-2019, 04:54 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Solenoid for hydraulic lockup is part of the valve body if I recall correctly.

Before replacing solenoids however, you may try clearing adaptations on the transmission first (using Durametric or another specialty scan tool) and then having the transmission relearn to shift. Note that you may have to do this a couple times to get it right.

Also double check that you don't have a leaking purge valve or other vacuum -- when mine was leaking it seemed to exacerbate the shudders.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:56 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

J, Did you have the Asin Warner 09D 6-speed Transmission installed? Reason i ask is that I thought the lockup was hydraulically controlled?

Thanks,
Rob
Yes

Originally Posted by Brainz
Solenoid for hydraulic lockup is part of the valve body if I recall correctly.

Before replacing solenoids however, you may try clearing adaptations on the transmission first (using Durametric or another specialty scan tool) and then having the transmission relearn to shift. Note that you may have to do this a couple times to get it right.

Also double check that you don't have a leaking purge valve or other vacuum -- when mine was leaking it seemed to exacerbate the shudders.
Exactly. Rostra makes solenoids.
I agree Brainz. Also when I did solid shore 80 urethane bushings in my torque arm the transmission seemed to shift much quicker. From my experience resetting the adaptations as I went up in power, what is most important is how you perform the re-learn procedure. There are a couple methods that work, some more involved than others. Diligently completing the re-learn made a big differenc ein results for me and It's a PIA. I live out in the country and make test hits down the street from my house so traffic and LEO is not an issue but you do need some open road.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:39 PM
2005 Cayenne
AutoX

Originally Posted by J'sWorld
Yes

Exactly. Rostra makes solenoids.
I agree Brainz. Also when I did solid shore 80 urethane bushings in my torque arm the transmission seemed to shift much quicker. From my experience resetting the adaptations as I went up in power, what is most important is how you perform the re-learn procedure. There are a couple methods that work, some more involved than others. Diligently completing the re-learn made a big differenc ein results for me and It's a PIA. I live out in the country and make test hits down the street from my house so traffic and LEO is not an issue but you do need some open road.
Thanks J, I did remove and visually check the condition of the Evap Purge Valve (N80) (Suggested by Brian Z) and found the screen to be clean and the valve itself seemed to hold vacuum, so ruled that out as a possible cause. Are there any other vacuum considerations? I thought about having the Transmission Control Module re-flashed at the dealer but I haven't read that a Flash will correct converter shudder. Has anyone tried Flash with success?
Old 04-04-2019, 09:08 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Mine has done the same thing since new. 170k miles now. ‘04CTT
Old 04-04-2019, 09:13 PM
2005 Cayenne
AutoX

JagMan1, doesn't the shudder drive you nuts?
Old 04-05-2019, 12:45 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Thanks J, I did remove and visually check the condition of the Evap Purge Valve (N80) (Suggested by Brian Z) and found the screen to be clean and the valve itself seemed to hold vacuum, so ruled that out as a possible cause. Are there any other vacuum considerations? I thought about having the Transmission Control Module re-flashed at the dealer but I haven't read that a Flash will correct converter shudder. Has anyone tried Flash with success?
I have genuine dealer software(PIWIS). I have reprogrammed my trans with the latest version. That's wasn't the problem.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:13 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I find the shutter annoying from the perspective of an OCD mechanic that wants it to be perfect. But no, it is very mild and only occurs for me in 5th gear between 30-45 mph if I lift all the way off the gas and then apply just a little bit of throttle. So it's a rare scenario.

Normal accel and decel will not produce this shutter for me.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:16 PM
2005 Cayenne
AutoX

Default Converter Shudder

Originally Posted by JAGMAN1
I find the shutter annoying from the perspective of an OCD mechanic that wants it to be perfect. But no, it is very mild and only occurs for me in 5th gear between 30-45 mph if I lift all the way off the gas and then apply just a little bit of throttle. So it's a rare scenario.

Normal accel and decel will not produce this shutter for me.
Jagman, good to know that you went 170K without further mechanical issues.

Quick Reply: Shuddering at low speeds/high gear