Sponsored by:

Shuddering at low speeds/high gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 09:33 PM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Shuddering at low speeds/high gear

I have a 06 S, bought new. Now with 5K miles, and it has had an annoying problem for most of its life. When between 30- 40 mph in 4, 5 or 6th gear, light accleration will cause the vehicle to shudder. Goes away when you stomp on the gas. No fault codes or warning lights appear
No problem in 1-3 gear at any speed

Have been to 2 dealers multiple times, coils replaced with latest parts, DME flashed etc. No change. Discussed with Porsche NA, not getting very far

I have searched this forum and others, cannot get a handle on what is the issue might be.

Please offer any constructive advice, as i am at my wits end
Old 10-24-2007, 10:04 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So, you are saying it is NOT RPM specific but rather SPEED specific?
(so 30-40 in 4,5,6....tiptronic manual mode I'm assuming...and it does it)?
I'm assuming normal water temperatures?

Try turning PSM OFF and see if that changes anything.

Doesn't sound like a cardan shaft.....I'm guessing tran$mi$$ion......or perhaps motor mount(s).

Oh wait, you said "constructive advice".....that rules me out.....forget everything I typed....where is the 'delete' key?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:44 PM
capt601
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds very similar to what I experienced on our 04 S. It turned out to be a failed driveshaft center bearing. which involved replacing the drive shaft.

mine did not only do it under light acceleration, but the whole car was shuddering. quite excessively at times.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Nexus 6
Burning Brakes

See my post in the thread "Coils TSB" at the top of teh page. Read my scanned invoices where I had my '04 "S" in for that VERY exact same thing. You can actually read where they typed in my complaint and it is almost identical to yours. They (amongst other things) did the coil pack replacements, BUT they also did a Transmission ECU "upgrade" or something like that? All I know is that it is NO LONGER shifting like that, so......

Jason
Old 10-24-2007, 11:42 PM
JRCTT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nexus 6
BUT they also did a Transmission ECU "upgrade" or something like that? All I know is that it is NO LONGER shifting like that, so......

Jason
Did they list any information on the transmission ECU "upgrade" on your invoice? I asked my service writer to have the version on mine checked and was told I had the right version but I am not convinced they actually checked it ...thx
Old 10-25-2007, 12:16 AM
Nexus 6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JRCTT
Did they list any information on the transmission ECU "upgrade" on your invoice? I asked my service writer to have the version on mine checked and was told I had the right version but I am not convinced they actually checked it ...thx
Yea man I think it does. Check out the "Coils TSB" thread and look at the second page I posted from my invoice. Hell bro...print that **** out and hand it to the tech and say "Here". It said that they performed "Transmission ECU Upgrade" and listed a part # of 273005500 or something like that?

All I know is...you can see my chief complaint was my transmission was shifting erratically and that seemed to have fixed it as it has now been a couple of weeks and I am good to go. My problem I told them was:

"Between speeds of 20-30, and when I am not in Tiptronic mode, I go to accelerate....it was most common and noticeable when exiting the freeway when I would go home from work. The exit had a huge loop, and as I would exit I would let off the gas, enter the turn, and slowly go to accelerate and the trans would STILL have me in 6th gear. As I slowly applied gas...the car would shudder as it tried to accelerate from 6th gear at a low speed. Then I even noticed it in high traffic conditions on the freeway...again at that 20-30MPH range"

Thats pretty much how I described it for them. And what you see on the invoice is how they wrote it down. They performed the services you see listed, and I am now good to go.

Hope that helped?

Jason
Old 10-25-2007, 02:35 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My '06 does that too. The car is too new to have coil problems. I think it's "normal".
Old 10-25-2007, 09:50 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by racer_65
My '06 does that too. The car is too new to have coil problems..
Wrong
I think it's "normal".
If that is your definition of 'Normal', then if you say so.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:21 PM
racer_65
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
Wrong

If that is your definition of 'Normal', then if you say so.
In my case, the shudder is not severe. Particularly in 4WD vehicles, some looseness in the driveline is not unheard of. Unless the problem gets worse, I would suggest leaving it alone. The car is so new that everything should be very close to factory spec. Once you have a mechanic work on it, you never know what could happen.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:36 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

The car is so new that everything should be very close to factory spec. Once you have a mechanic work on it, you never know what could happen.
You must be new to Porsches...
Old 10-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Nexus 6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JFScheck
You must be new to Porsches...
I know right? Here I have only owned my Cayenne S for about 2 months and I already know better then that! LOL!

I thought the EXACT same thing because mine had a CLEAN CARFAX, only one previous owner...and it is a 2004 that had 17k miles on it!! And I STILL had the problems that most others have had, some new and some old. I would get it checked out myself? Why wait and ASSUME (***/U/ME) that it is normal? Dude...I am going to tell you...THAT is NOT normal.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:22 AM
racer_65
Racer

Well, 2004 car is a different story...
Old 10-26-2007, 12:20 PM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I will check the ECU upgrade on my invoice
Thanks for the advice
Old 10-26-2007, 02:03 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BEWARE

the transmission flash was what started my "PHC unavailable" saga.

some of these cars aren't even compatible with themselves, expecting mechanics to determine the "upgradability" of the units and the "current available" firmware is silly.

but they try anyway....
Old 11-01-2007, 10:13 PM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like carrier bearing on drive shaft, you will feel the vibration throughout the vehicle. Double check your receipt for your coils and verify you got pn's ending in 03

MArk

Quick Reply: Shuddering at low speeds/high gear