Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just me, or do you feel that the 1st generations had nicer looking front ends?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

+1
The 'gills' on the back of the 997 GT2 are hideous
Old 10-18-2007, 03:28 PM
ozr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Nexus 6
Maybe you guys and gals can weigh in here? But honestly I PREFER the 1st generation front ends over the new Cayennes (excluding Turbo of course). I feel as if the 1st Gen fronts/grill were more....open you know? I am just not digging the lower part of the new front ends with the three partition "cold air intakes" (for lack of a better description)

Example:

And an '04 S:

<Shameful gratuitous plug>(which happens to be mine)</Shameful gratuitous plug>

However, I DO dig the Cayenne Turbo hood (and the ENTIRE front end appearance for that matter!!) I wonder if the new Turbo hood would be able to fit on my '04 S? Hmmmm.

...agree...

Seems, like they designed CayTT08 for the 90% of a time, and spent 10% on the rest of the Cay model lineup...

...this is what you get, when overworked designer spends TOO MUCH time staring at the same picture for a long time on his PC...he gets "blind"...

...also, ORIGINAL CayS08 front bumper design idea was DIFFERENT and IMHO much better...

OZRacing

Last edited by ozr; 10-18-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:38 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Originally Posted by Sharptt
+1
Porsche needs to hire some new stylists but hopefully not from BMW
oh, I see you've seen the new x6!
Old 10-18-2007, 06:17 PM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
As posted a LONG time ago, Larry mentioned a RWD Cayenne having been built and tested.
No, it was not approved. Too bad, not a bad idea on how to polish up the pig a bit.
Not sure I follow your logic, Lewis. You've made it clear how you feel about Cayennes on the track. Seems to me that that would be the primary purpose of a RWD "GT" model. To emasculate the capabilities of the Cayenne as an "SUV" would be to further prove my point that what most Cayenne buyers really want is the Porsche nameplate on a RFFJUSW (Really Friggin' Fast Jacked-Up Station Wagon) that they can pretend is a sports car, rather than a true SUV.

Back to the initial post, as I've said before, I prefer the old style in every way, and liked the look of the "new" CTT front end much better when it was on the front of my "new" 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:49 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sigs
Not sure I follow your logic, Lewis. You've made it clear how you feel about Cayennes on the track. Seems to me that that would be the primary purpose of a RWD "GT" model. To emasculate the capabilities of the Cayenne as an "SUV" would be to further prove my point that what most Cayenne buyers really want is the Porsche nameplate on a RFFJUSW (Really Friggin' Fast Jacked-Up Station Wagon) that they can pretend is a sports car, rather than a true SUV.
What logic? It's not my logic, just a statement.

Create another Cayenne variant with minimal investment (just remove the AWD and go with RWD), similar to that applied to the Carrera line.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:36 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK - I no longer own a Cayenne so I would like to think I am not biased here in my opinion that the first generation looked quite a bit better then the current version.

:-)
Old 10-18-2007, 08:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JFScheck
OK - I no longer own a Cayenne .....
:-)
Does this mean anything to you....

"!"
Old 10-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

I was behind an '08 the other day I notice they also lost the red tail lights that signal yellow. Now they are just red lights that signal red. More cost cutting?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:19 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by Shamus
I was behind an '08 the other day I notice they also lost the red tail lights that signal yellow. Now they are just red lights that signal red. More cost cutting?
...look CLOSER...

OZRacing
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2007, 09:22 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Shamus
What do you think, there's actually someone who remembers the 968 tail lights?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:47 AM
Polemicuss
2nd Gear

I completely agree and have this discussion with my wife all the time I have an 04 S and we love the front. The reason I went with it over the Mercedes, Range Rover, Lexus etc. is it is really the last of the SUV's with a distinctive styling that is Porsche. Everyone can identify the two bulbous headlights protruding from a slanting hood whether 911 or Cayenne. Now they started to phase that out and make it flatter and the back as well. It is a shame much like the extinction of the old Jaguar which is also a shame.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:04 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Does this mean anything to you....

"!"

Akin to holding a cross to a vampire...

Hisssssssssssssssssssss...

Old 10-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Brettcp
Track Day

i personally like the 08 styling far better than the previous years.. which is why i waited to buy a new 08
Old 10-19-2007, 04:12 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Personally I like the headlights but I don't really like the treatment of the front bumper on the 08.

I DO like the rear end AND the tailpipes.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:51 AM
Nexus 6
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ozr
...agree...

Seems, like they designed CayTT08 for the 90% of a time, and spent 10% on the rest of the Cay model lineup...

...this is what you get, when overworked designer spends TOO MUCH time staring at the same picture for a long time on his PC...he gets "blind"...

...also, ORIGINAL CayS08 front bumper design idea was DIFFERENT and IMHO much better...

OZRacing
I agree

Quick Reply: Just me, or do you feel that the 1st generations had nicer looking front ends?