ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
Details, please, o-learned one.
o-learned one? Who me?

What you described is the Cayenne's version of the Microsoft Blue Screen of Death.....NEVER a good thing.
I would have suggested that you bring it immediately to the dealer to see exactly how many codes were thrown and from there try to determine which module(s) went AWOL.

They're actually programmed to scare the **** out of the owners right before they cross the line into 'nakedness'.....helps with new vehicle sales.

Happy Trails
Old 11-25-2007, 11:44 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only two codes thrown-- I don't have the numbers off hand but I recall they were in the 300 series.

The tech showed me the corresponding definitons and one was a misfire fourth cyl. and one was a "random" misfire which evidently is automatically triggered by the first one.

Truck has been running great since I picked it up.

We shall see, I guess.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:53 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Old 11-27-2007, 04:56 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

40K service on my 2006 Cayenne Turbo. I told my dealer that the engine has a rough idle. 40K service calls for new plugs which were changed. After checking the coils, all 8 were replaced under warranty! See, be nice to your dealer and they will take care of you!
Old 12-03-2007, 05:01 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My car was just taken in and diagnosed with this problem. It's a '06 with only 14K miles. They replaced the cracked coil pack with the updated part.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:01 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So those of us that are "nekked" or with third party warranties...any advice from anyone?

I need to run by my dealer for another issues...but scared to ask them to hook up to their "diagnostic equipment" i.e. cash register.

Guess the big question is, will they replace coils if you are out of warranty?
Old 12-03-2007, 09:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by littlejt1
So those of us that are "nekked" or with third party warranties...any advice from anyone??
Suicide is a noble way out of Cayenne ownership. Please remember to share it on Youtube with the forum members....it's always nice to play it during the wake.

And the answer is (from page 1 of this post)

"Remedial action:
Replace all installed bar ignition modules (Part No. 948.602.104.00 or 948.602.104.01 ) with modified bar ignition modules (Part No. 948.602.104.03).
Only replace bar ignition module if it was diagnosed as faulty."

"On vehicles that are still under warranty, the replacement of all bar ignition modules (coils) with Part No. 948.602.104.00 or 948.602.104.01 with bar ignition modules (coils) with Part No. 948.602.104.03 can be claimed under warranty using the following damage code: Damage Code 2820 12 000"

"On vehicles that are no longer covered by warranty, we also recommend that you replace all bar ignition modules (coils) with Part No. 948.602.104.00 or 948.602.104.01 following consultation with the customer with bar ignition modules (coils) with Part No. 948.602.104.03 in the event of a complaint.

Translation of consultation with the customer:
You (the customer) will be asked to hand over your money.
They (PCNA) will be wearing a mask and holding a gun.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:13 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still wondering when did they make the updated part available? Was it very recent?

My car has a March '06 build date, which still has the problem. The car drives noticeably better now. With the new coils, it no longer hesitates at around 30 mph.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:55 PM
Vino
Racer

So those of us that are "nekked" or with third party warranties...any advice from anyone?

I need to run by my dealer for another issues...but scared to ask them to hook up to their "diagnostic equipment" i.e. cash register.

We will be naked in 2 weeks

I don't know if we'll buy the warranty or not, we'll see..
Anyway, I went through a few websites and found our coils here-

http://www2.9parts.com/parts/parts1/...+Coil&dp=false

$20.95 per coil

I'll give them a call in a week or two and see what part# they wear.

I have taken the engine covers off to expose the coils, passenger side could be a pain with the engine mount bar in the way. Otherwise maybe a 2 hour job max for the DIY mechanic including plugs.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
40K service on my 2006 Cayenne Turbo. I told my dealer that the engine has a rough idle. 40K service calls for new plugs which were changed. After checking the coils, all 8 were replaced under warranty! See, be nice to your dealer and they will take care of you!
Took the car in for a check engine light, engine Thermostat replaced, reported rough idle, verified by dealer, all coils replaced under warranty...and yes I was very nice with them...they even threw in the low tone horn (defective)...4k left to going naked...any other suggestions?

joining this forum has already paid off many-many times

Old 12-11-2007, 03:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Sam CS 05
Took the car in for a check engine light, engine Thermostat replaced, reported rough idle, verified by dealer, all coils replaced under warranty
Did they replace the spark plugs as well?
Normally, once the coil goes, the plug is fouled.

...and yes I was very nice with them...they even threw in the low tone horn (defective)...4k left to going naked...any other suggestions?
Perhaps transition slowly from clothed to naked Cayenne ownership.....say boxers to briefs to thong to Porsche pole dancer?

joining this forum has already paid off many-many times
Wow, a compliment for the forum inmates.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

" Did they replace the spark plugs as well?
Normally, once the coil goes, the plug is fouled. "

just called them , no spark plugs replaced, they recommend it @ 60 K service (when I pay for it), I guess I should still be thankful...this Boston dealer, Herb Chambers, seem to know their stuff, so I trust them to have checked the plugs...

I am just wondering what Dr. W. would pay to shut down this forum...
Old 12-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

picked up the car tonight:

1. thermostat replaced
2. "funny" horn sound (per repair report) fixed
3.all ignition coils replaced
4.software updated

I don't know if it's my imagination or the reality, but the car drives a lot smoother and not hesitating like before...if it's reality, I hope it's permanent.

Sam
Old 12-12-2007, 11:10 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

picked up the car tonight:

1. thermostat replaced
2. "funny" horn sound (per repair report) fixed
3.all ignition coils replaced
4.software updated

I don't know if it's my imagination or the reality, but the car drives a lot smoother and not hesitating like before...if it's reality, I hope it's permanent.

Sam
Your dealer "may" be good.. but I would ask and/or read the service ticket and see if they even inspected the plugs.. if they did not.. take it back and insist that they inspect the plugs.. MOST of the dealers have replaced BOTH coils and plugs that I've read here.. your dealer will be paid so there is no reason not to do it.. if they inspected and said fine.. you're hosed for "freebies".

When the site is down, I'm sure the new owners could claim it "is" indeed Dr. W!
Old 12-13-2007, 10:06 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

I will call them, the service ticket mentions no plug inspection, I agree with you it would take them few more minutes to replace the plugs, prevention is the least costly practice.

on a happy note, the car still drives better....

Quick Reply: COILS TSB