Ken Rockwell & his CTTs

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 12:01 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ken Rockwell & his CTTs

This name might ring a bell to people who've been hanging out at photography forums like DPreview.com or who are just into photography (and prefer Nikon) and/or googled photo-related stuff. Today I found out that Ken drives a CTTs and he doesn't call it a pig. In fact, he refers to it as a "small truck", so there, to all of you who say otherwise. I think you'll also enjoy his review of the car:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/porsche/c...bo-s/index.htm
Old 10-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,495 Likes on 938 Posts

It is a good review. He seems quite pleased with his Turbo S.

BTW - I got ZZ Top tickets for October 17th. Not quite a close as yours appeared to be, but still close! They're playing in a small arena here in Indiana where all the seats are close.

I'm looking forward to the show!
Old 10-10-2007, 01:23 PM
sigs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, EW, I really love my "pre-Turbo S" '05 PowerKit, despite its problems, and would love it even more if I had gotten it for $30k off sticker. I routinely refer to it as my "truck" because that's the way I use it. I use the word "pig" only on this forum, and often when arguing with Lewis about it not being as much of a "pig" as he exhorts us to believe. This is a pretty thorough review, albeit on the optimistic side, with a side-order of PAG marketing-speak. It has some interesting contradictions, like giving the so-so (IMHO) Bose stereo a thumbs up, while pointing out the lousy quality of the Sirius audio (and I thought it was just me). But, overall, it's an interesting read. Thanks for posting.

BTW, the dealer who sold him a temp spare that won't fit on his TurboS brakes should get special recognition, don't you think?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:44 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C

BTW - I got ZZ Top tickets for October 17th. Not quite a close as yours appeared to be, but still close! They're playing in a small arena here in Indiana where all the seats are close.

I'm looking forward to the show!
Cool! Take pics, if you can. It's a great show.

Originally Posted by sigs
Okay, EW, I really love my "pre-Turbo S" '05 PowerKit, despite its problems, and would love it even more if I had gotten it for $30k off sticker. I routinely refer to it as my "truck" because that's the way I use it. I use the word "pig" only on this forum, and often when arguing with Lewis about it not being as much of a "pig" as he exhorts us to believe. This is a pretty thorough review, albeit on the optimistic side, with a side-order of PAG marketing-speak. It has some interesting contradictions, like giving the so-so (IMHO) Bose stereo a thumbs up, while pointing out the lousy quality of the Sirius audio (and I thought it was just me). But, overall, it's an interesting read. Thanks for posting.

BTW, the dealer who sold him a temp spare that won't fit on his TurboS brakes should get special recognition, don't you think?
From his reviews it is rather obvious that he's never visited this forum, never met LTC or droptop ... btw, I've gotten used to Siri "acquiring signal" anywhere from 1-40 mins during rain and in certain spots all over the city regardless of the bad weather. The alternative doesn't look any brighter, either a) FM with commercials b) iPod through FM where reception is 100x worse than Siri c) I'm tired of listening to the same CD. Too lazy to change it + I run the risk of occasionally not being able to eject it :-D
Old 10-10-2007, 04:43 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
b) iPod through FM where reception is 100x worse than Siri
One word: mOBridge.

PM me or mudman2 or both. we've beta-ed and have had 4 weeks of 1000's of optically delivered perfect sound IPod songs in my Tit.S and his Beta.

p.s. I'm opening a can of worms.. they are not ready yet and so we can't post pics and/or push for sale yet as they don't have units here in USA. 110% satisfied and it was easy to integrate into MOST.

p.s.s. Mudman2, was this sufficiently vague????
Old 10-10-2007, 05:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Where to begin.....let's just hit the high points, as I don't want to waste John D's disk space.

The 2006 Cayenne Turbo S has over three times the power of a full military HMMWV Hummer H1!
Of course it's more powerful than most 80,000 pound class-8 tractor-trailer, like newest the International ProStar, which usually comes with only a 15-litre (912 CID) 450 hp Cummins engine (Car & Driver, Nov 2007, p. 151.)

OK, so clearly the concept of torque escapes him.....I'm not surprised.

Porsche's Mommy Van
Well, how can you argue with that?

Big Folding Mirrors
I guess size is relative.

The ignition key is on the left of the steering wheel, an homage to the mid-1970s Peugeot 504. Porsche claims it's a tribute to the running starts of LeMans; you decide.
Wow, the only Porsche with the ignition key on the left side......who knew?

And my personal favorite:
This is a small truck, not one of the pig SUVs
You sure he hasn't been lurking here? A unibody truck......give him an oxymoron award.

What a clueless poseur.
Apart from that, I have no opinion.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Where to begin.....let's just hit the high points, as I don't want to waste John D's disk space.

The 2006 Cayenne Turbo S has over three times the power of a full military HMMWV Hummer H1!
Of course it's more powerful than most 80,000 pound class-8 tractor-trailer, like newest the International ProStar, which usually comes with only a 15-litre (912 CID) 450 hp Cummins engine (Car & Driver, Nov 2007, p. 151.)

OK, so clearly the concept of torque escapes him.....I'm not surprised.

Porsche's Mommy Van
Well, how can you argue with that?

Big Folding Mirrors
I guess size is relative.

The ignition key is on the left of the steering wheel, an homage to the mid-1970s Peugeot 504. Porsche claims it's a tribute to the running starts of LeMans; you decide.
Wow, the only Porsche with the ignition key on the left side......who knew?

And my personal favorite:
This is a small truck, not one of the pig SUVs
You sure he hasn't been lurking here? A unibody truck......give him an oxymoron award.

What a clueless poseur.
Apart from that, I have no opinion.

For once I agree with Lewis - I like that vehicle, but the review is ridiculous and I have to wonder what his frame of reference was. Maybe a long love affair with an old Toyota Camry? A present, well-liked Honda Odyssey? He seems not to appreciate what a proper "car", nor "truck" really is. That vehicle is impressive, but to compare it to Vipers and Hummers and the like is just like listening to my small twin nephews - they get excited when they see "monster trucks" and loud CRVs. But they are automotively clueless.

They are only 6 years old, so they have an excuse.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by HD2pct
For once I agree with Lewis - I like that vehicle, but the review is ridiculous and I have to wonder what his frame of reference was..
AGREE WITH LEWIS ?

You feeling OK? Saying that here?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:25 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Somehow I knew this review would be a "hit". Damn it, you people are brutal

MadFox, Mudman & I have discussed this previously. We decided that some day I'll come pick him up, we'll drive over to LTC and he'll supervise the install. It's now just a matter of setting the date

OT: I do think that Rockwell's camera/photography tips are excellent (if a bit obvious at times), and suggest checking them out if you haven't done so already.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:54 PM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc

Gee, I thought I felt the earth stop rotating there, for a second.

You guys feeling simultaneously vitriolic and conciliatory? Did I hear someone pleading "Can't we all just get along?"

You're both spending a lot of adrenaline on an obviously "infotainment-oriented" review that is not that much more gushing than the average car-mag review and has about the same accuracy level as our typical Saturday newspaper automotive section review. Whether he wrote this piece mostly for his own ego or whether he really believes all the hype his salesman heaped upon him, it was an interesting peek into the mind of what I imagine to be the typical Cayenne buyer (i.e.: not your typical Rennlist dweller). Maybe not a pretty sight, but an interesting one, nonetheless. Whether you consider the mall-crawlers friends for "saving" our precious 911s or or enemies for enabling current PAG strategy, the show is always entertaining.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:01 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Somehow I knew this review would be a "hit". Damn it, you people are brutal :
Thank you. It's what keeps people coming back......and lurking, hiding in the bushes, scared to enter the forum.

MadFox, Mudman & I have discussed this previously. We decided that some day I'll come pick him up, we'll drive over to LTC and he'll supervise the install. It's now just a matter of setting the date
The only thing I would ever install in a Cayenne would hvae a timer and would be ticking......and delivered to Peter the Great in Atlanta
Old 10-11-2007, 12:33 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
AGREE WITH LEWIS ?

LOL!
Old 10-17-2007, 02:25 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Hoehn Porsche sucks.. the review sucks...

i do like the first photo
Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 AM
alsamrob
Instructor

Is there going to be a group buy for the mObridge units?
Old 10-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Nexus 6
Burning Brakes

This name might ring a bell to people who've been hanging out at photography forums like DPreview.com or who are just into photography (and prefer Nikon) and/or googled photo-related stuff. Today I found out that Ken drives a CTTs and he doesn't call it a pig. In fact, he refers to it as a "small truck", so there, to all of you who say otherwise. I think you'll also enjoy his review of the car:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/porsche/c...bo-s/index.htm
Well I made it to about 3/4's of the way through and gotta say that after reading some of his statements such as:

"Big Folding Mirrors

The Porsche Cayenne Turbo S is designed for big players and important people, not little people who live in tract homes."

and:

"The seats are designed for athletic European butts, not lard-butts. The seat bottoms are of normal width, not big ones like American seats. These seats grab you tight.

My solid thighs tend to rest on the top of the narrow side supports. I suspect the seats are designed for marathon runner physiques, not soccer players. "

I couldn't go on any further because of feeling that he was just SO much more "outclassed" then me And when I read that he had a firmer butt then me...that was it! I couldn't take no more!!

Quick Reply: Ken Rockwell & his CTTs