Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Independent mechanic in Boston area?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Independent mechanic in Boston area?

Can someone recommend a reputable independent mechanic in Boston area?
thanks,
Sam
Old 08-31-2007, 10:23 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

European Performance Engineering in Natick

www.epe.com

Ask for Jerry Pellegrino
Old 08-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rome
European Performance Engineering in Natick

www.epe.com

Ask for Jerry Pellegrino
Thanks Rome, I will call them.
Sam
Old 09-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

EPE is probably the best known indy - I also use Rick Hethering at Autobahn Performance in Peabody - primarily due to their proximity.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shamus
EPE is probably the best known indy - I also use Rick Hethering at Autobahn Performance in Peabody - primarily due to their proximity.
thanks again Shamus, I will take note,
regards,
Sam
Old 09-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

I should clarify that by proximity I mean to my home not the Golden Banana Gentleman's Club
Old 09-02-2007, 09:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I should clarify that by proximity I mean to my home not the Golden Banana Gentleman's Club
Wait a minute, the Banana is open again? Last I knew it was closed. I knew the Cabaret was still open....and of course a moment of silence for The Squire.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:31 AM
rome
Rennlist Member

Come on guys, everyone knows it's all about RI nowadays....
Old 12-27-2007, 04:19 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
Wait a minute, the Banana is open again? Last I knew it was closed. I knew the Cabaret was still open....and of course a moment of silence for The Squire.
How about an reputable independent south of Boston?

And the Squire is open again, . . . I heard.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:45 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Never used them, but Randolph Racing in Stoughton Advertises in the Nor'Easter.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:00 PM
alsamrob
Instructor

Default Independent

Never used them, but Randolph Racing in Stoughton Advertises in the Nor'Easter.
Had the 60k service done at Randolph Racing in Stoughton. Excellent experience, at 60% of dealer cost. www.ranrace.com
Old 04-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Major Payne
2nd Gear

Randolph Racing is a half mile from Club Alex's. I heard good things about them....Randolph Racing that is.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Alfie
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Rennlist Member

I'll second the vote of confidence in Rick at autobahn performance in Peabody. Seems to do excellent work.

ltc, yes, the banana is open. Has been for a year or so, maybe 18 months. How could you miss it? Really, its a big, yellow, banana after all....
Old 10-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Sam CS 05
Burning Brakes

after 6 years of service experience, my votes are:

dealer: Herb Chambers on commonwealth ave. (Frank)
indy: Jerry @ EPE in Natick

Sam
Old 11-11-2010, 01:41 PM
jimh3063
Track Day

Thumbs down Randolph Racing run for your life.

I used Randolph racing for a few things and here is what happened.
I used Kevin to repair my 930. He talked me into an Electromotive Ignition system that he installed and ran great. It turned out he had it so close to the turbo that the PCB inside the ECU became de-laminated. It took a while to figure this one out. It costs almost $500 to replace. thanks to Ove at Electromotive.

While I was in the shop for the 930, I saw a 944 T that looked well done on the outside. He mentioned it was for sale. He stated he built it and it was in great shape and needed nothing. I asked multiple times, Kevin are you vouching for this cars condition. He stated multiple times that he built it and knew it very well and it was in great shape all around. I bought the car based in his word that it was in great shape. A PPI from the guy who built it and is selling it in retrospect is probably a bad idea. He ended up getting a $1000 for helping sell it.

I told Kevin to go through it and get it ready for the track. He charged me a couple grand to replace the exhaust and a few other things when he was supposed to only replace the exhaust tip. That should have been a hint of things to come. We went to the car would not boost. It turned out the turbo was frozen. So much for going through the car!!! He unfroze it and I went out on the track. The car was smoking and filling the puke tank with oil rapidly. I asked him had this ever done this before and he stated yes. So much for full disclosure. He stated it just needed a ring job and 3200 was the price. I was screwed with a useless car and went ahead. I got the car back. I was heading to FLA with it for a race that day. I got to the track in FLA and went out for practice. The car puked all the oil out under boost within 10 second of getting on it and f'ed the crank bearings and a few other things. I called him up and he said, I don't know what it wrong but bring it back and I'll take a look.
1500 mile drive down, 10 seconds of track time, 1500 miles back. Needless to say, I was pissed. Kevin took the engine apart. He told me it was over boosted and had detonation. He would never show me the pistons. We argued quite a bit. This went on for months. I went into his shop and ask for my parts back. He wouldn't give them to me. I knew I was onto something. I had another company pull the engine apart and take a look, they saw no det. All they work on is turbo cars. I went to Kevin and he still insisted it was over boosted. I again asked him for the parts and he again would not give them to me. I finally got the pistons back and they still had the coating from the factory on them and no det marks AT ALL. He still refused to give me the rings back. I knew that was somehow the issue. He introduced me to a person who he stated could rebuild my engine and he would pay for the labor if I picked up the money for the parts. I talked to the guy on the phone and did some research about him. It turns out he is a VERY reputable engine builder with a GREAT reputation. A pretty decent guy too. I went back to the engine builder to talk to him. I didn't' think I should have to pay for any of the build because I knew it was something he had done. He was very helpful. He stated "I told myself I would give you this is you ever came in my shop". It was the piston build sheet from the original build of the engine. He was the original engine builder. He stated Kevin had came down and asked him what he thought had gone wrong with the rings. He explained everything to the builder. It turns out the block is steel sleeved and Kevin put the wrong rings in it. I was asked to not mention that I had spoken to the builder. I went back to Kevin and explained what I knew and what info I had. He denied it once again. I asked again for my rings back. He wouldn't give them back still. I asked him for the receipt for the rings. He had purchased them from EBS racing. He stated he couldn't find the receipt but I could talk to them and get a copy. I called them and asked for it while I was in Kevin's shop. EBS stated they would fax a copy to me. I left Kevin's shop. I not sooner got down the street when I got a call from EBS stating Kevin had just called him and told him to not give me any of the paperwork for the rings. I said ok, then give me a quote in the EXACT same rings he ordered and had put in my car. They were the STOCK ring gap rings for a non-sleeved car. I went back to Kevin again with all the information I had. He finally admitted that he made a mistake on the ring gapping and that's what caused the problem. This was in a Monday. He asked if he could fix the engine and I still buy the parts. I told him no. He then stated his insurance may cover the damage and to call him at the end of the week. I did ask requested. He told me that since I had the piston build sheet I should have given it to him prior to the build. Isn't he the mechanic and doesn't he know how to use a Vernier Caliper? I'm not mechanic and know this. I couldn't tell him where I got the build sheet and when. He told me go ahead and sue him. He knew all along what he had done. He spent a lot of time and effort to hide his mistake. He is one of the most deceptive people I've ever met.

I posted something on Facebook about what had happened and was inundated with stories of how others had bad experiences as well. He has left as long line of people who have had similar experiences. I would recommend you steer clear. I have used Rick Hetherington with great results. He's a good guy who knows what he is doing. Conway Autoworks ended up putting my 944T back together with a new motor from Lindsey Racing. I'm happy with the end result from both companies. Both have been very helpful through the whole process and I would do business with them again any day.
I have every piece of documentation I mentioned in either hard copy or email and will be happy to share with anyone who asks. Kevin Saltzman and Randolph Racing have left a long trail of broken cars over the years. Go to a PCA event and ask around. He's well known for his work or lack thereof.

Quick Reply: Independent mechanic in Boston area?