Sponsored by:

Weekend Long Lest Drive of Q7 -- It is NO Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:56 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weekend Long Lest Drive of Q7 -- It is NO Cayenne

Rented the 3.7l Audi Q7 this weekend. While the car shares a fairly large number of parts with the Cayenne, driving one makes it difficult to believe.

The Good:
1) Audi Interior -- Was typical Audi A1 interior. Very functional, not plush, but very nice.
2) Rear foding seats -- SOOO much better than the Porsche system. One lever, and your done, night and day with the Porsche.
3) Rear Storage -- Seems a fair bit larger than the Cayenne. Could fit two bike travel hardcases in the back, with plenty of room left over.
4) Audi MMI -- Multi Media interface. A lot easier to use, once you figure it out. Oddly, there is no off button for the AC or the radio. To turn off the AC, you need to hold down the Econ button for 3 seconds -- Very odd. Never figured out how to turn off radio, just hit mute.
5) No hesitation and silky shifts

The Bad:
1) Blind Spots. Going forward, when you see a Q7 on the road, give it space. This car is just one giant blind spot. It also seems to bulge all over the place, making it even more difficult to manage in tight spaces. I find the Cayenne to be manuverable and while it has blind spots, nothing like the Q7. Maybe its crappy Audi side view mirrors.
2) Tracking -- Unlike most Audi's the steering in my Q7 was very loose. Without a drink in me, I was all over the road in the car. It could be a malfunction or just crappy tires, but it was NOTHING like the Cayenne, which I feel does a much better job.
3) Power -- Not surprising, I felt the car lacked power. The 3.7 just didn't cut it. I know I drive the CTT, but even compared to CS's I have driven, the car is down on power.
4) More a mini Van than SUV -- One could say the same thing about the Cayenne I guess. However, the Q7 just seems more like a mini van to me.

Other:
Panorama Roof -- So cool. I want one, but not bad enough to turn in the CTT for another one.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Great writeup. My wife and I was just talking about a car with 7 seaters and she mentioned the Q7. I'll let her know your review.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:31 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Q7 seemed very "floaty" to me with a lot of body roll.

I also found the 'I drive' type system unnecessarily complicated and over engineered.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:21 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rome
Q7 seemed very "floaty" to me with a lot of body roll. I also found the 'I drive' type system unnecessarily complicated and over engineered.
Ditto.. I got as a loaner towards the end of my Beta days and decided to test drive for possible change from Cayenne since I liked the dealer (it's a Porsche/Audi co-location dealer).. I hated the thing and said no thanks for the future as a loaner or to buy! Never could figure out the dang A/C and radio controls plus felt like I was backing over a dog or kid or a a Mini-Cooper because of such horrible blind spots.. never mind I felt like I was a soccer mom again like with my RX300 (which I came to hate, too).. Did I mention it had no soul... granted some think the Cayenne is soul-less because it isn't a 911... did I mention that I think the Q7 is a POS...... Wait.. uh-hum, but I digress!?
Old 07-16-2007, 11:10 PM
SciFrog
Racer

Whoa, you guys are harsh.

I happen to own a 4.2 Q7 and an 04 Cayenne TT, and while the Cayenne is a much better car, the Q7 has its points: it is much more confortable, the MMI is nice, the button/interface is one of the best out there, the engine is peppy when driven hard, the auto gear box is much better than the Cayenne. Last but not least, it has 7 seats. Of course the engine/handling and interior of the Cayenne is way ahead as it should for a car 50% more expensive.

To mute the radio on the Q7 press the volume button!
Then you can switch the screen off with the button on the dash.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:29 PM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I test drove a Q7 for a day as a possible replacement for my 04 CTT. We need a 6 seater, and more cargo room than the Pepper. I agree with most of your comments, but in this case I'm going from a Sport Sedan/ Truck to a people hauler with bells & comfort. We passed on the deal when the trade in value of the perrer came in (Way low) so we're keeping the Pepper until next August, when it goes back to Porsche. We'll be looking again next summer.

Othjer contenders:

Lexus LX 570 (All new & due in showrooms in Jan 08)
Audi Q-7 4.2
Still looking ?
Old 07-17-2007, 01:38 AM
SciFrog
Racer

Mercedes GL or R if you digg the design...
Old 07-17-2007, 02:05 AM
uder26
Advanced

I looked at them as well. You definitely need the 4.2 to move the thing, and it didn't look really good until it had big wheels on it....
Old 07-17-2007, 02:33 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SciFrog
Mercedes GL or R if you digg the design...
My wife has the R500. With the big V8, this Merc is actually pretty quick. It is longer than an S-class or Escalade--plenty of room and comfort for 6 full-size adults!
Old 07-17-2007, 11:56 PM
SciFrog
Racer

Q7 can do 7 passengers FYI...
Old 07-18-2007, 02:24 PM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Drove the Audi when i was looking at the Cayenne. THe car is heavy, felt much better with the 4.2
The interior is nice and it does seat 7. I felt it was a bit akward to park, but was a reasonable people mover

Quick Reply: Weekend Long Lest Drive of Q7 -- It is NO Cayenne