Sponsored by:

Cayenne a good first vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 05:22 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, what an informative thread. Turns out that a first car can be responsible for future divorce :-D

Anyhow, I'm all for spoiling kids, so I think you should go for the Cayenne. As long as your wife doesn't mind footing, what has a very high chance turning into frequent, repair bills.

Btw, what does your wife drive?
Old 05-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Darkhare
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MadFox
that's two of us
skip a few oil changes and no maintenance on any car and you could be by the side of the road with smoke coming from the hood.

that's true, I didn't explain that, I consider oil changes more than just maintainance... you can never skip one of those.. but realitively (sp) speaking, just keeping the car in perfect running order is a HUGE cost... will the vw be free? no, not at all.. but it's a lot cheaper over all, if the girl keeps the car a long time, after she is no longer living with mommy and daddy, she'll need something she can afford to maintain
Old 05-14-2007, 05:10 AM
StickShift964
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the Cayenne V6. When i was 16(almost 4 years ago) i wanted one...but i wanted the turbo Then again, im a guy, so of course i would opt for a more powerful truck. Either get the Cv6 or consider a lexus like above mentioned. I drive a 2000 LX470 that has about 90k miles on it(i got it with 26k and have ripped on that truck non-stop like a GT3 owner @ a PCA Enduro event). No major problems yet...hopefully it stays that way or shucks, ill have to take the 997T when it comes in!
Old 05-14-2007, 07:09 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

I'd just get a Volvo S40 and be done with it. Nice cars, good power, can be outfitted with AWD. Hell right now if I had a little money, a new S40 stick with AWD and a turbo would be on the list...
Old 05-14-2007, 09:45 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Since we're talking about first rides.

Mine:
1984 Bronco II
3800 lbs
105 HP
5-speed
Carb.
VIN: 1FMCU14S6EUA28402

High center of gravity? Yep
Slow? Yep
Keep me out of trouble? Yep
Loud stereo? Yep
Teach me the value of maintenance and upkeep? Yep, after my dad told me the next car was on my dime...... Which, 10 years later and 250k miles, I did buy a new car.

I wrung every last mile from that poor truck. Yes, I even remember the VIN number. Why? I studied every inch of that truck to make sure it would always be ready to run.

The good: great visibility... 2-door body made it tough for people to get in the back so it was rarely more than me and one other person.

I've got a 5 month old son and my wife and I joke about his first car. I don't know what will be around in 16-17 years. However, it will be something safe and slow.
Gives him something to look forward to.

If he doesn't like it, there's always the bicycle.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:46 AM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
I'd just get a Volvo S40 and be done with it. Nice cars, good power, can be outfitted with AWD. Hell right now if I had a little money, a new S40 stick with AWD and a turbo would be on the list...
I would have to second that - they are really nice cars, PLENTY fast, reasonably safe, and are still way up there on the panache scale. (at least for a kid!!!!)
Old 05-14-2007, 12:02 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Well coming back to this thread and seeing some of the views. The rollover issue is a big deal and I agree but I never thought of letting him drive it out of town or in a situation where a rollover would happen. I live out in th e mojave 80 miles from the rest of the real world-the single car rollover is the most common accident out here people fall asleep and wake up and over correct. My son is only going to drive the truck around our little town. If we go out of town (or a miracle happens and he goes to college(how can a son of two scientists be SO DUMB??!!) he wont be taking that)
Good advice everyone. its good to get parents togehter and talk about what works and what doesnt.
If anyone needs help on how NOT to raise 2 boys just ask me I am an expert.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:06 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Howabout a first-year G35?
Old 05-16-2007, 10:42 AM
PUZZ1
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 31 Posts

Maybe it's because I wasn't born into privelage (not that there is anything wrong with that) that I am having a hard time with this concept. There would be no way in hell that I would by ANY high-end car for my kid (still in highschool mind you) unless it was a 10 to 15 year old Mercedes diesel wagon or a Saab 900 or a Volvo of some sort. I don't think a brandy new Cayenne or Boxster teaches anything about the value of money and that these cars are things you have to work hard for. Forget the 90210 mindset and come back to earth!!
Old 05-16-2007, 10:47 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PUZZ1
Maybe it's because I wasn't born into privelage (not that there is anything wrong with that) that I am having a hard time with this concept. There would be no way in hell that I would by ANY high-end car for my kid (still in highschool mind you) unless it was a 10 to 15 year old Mercedes diesel wagon or a Saab 900 or a Volvo of some sort. I don't think a brandy new Cayenne or Boxster teaches anything about the value of money and that these cars are things you have to work hard for. Forget the 90210 mindset and come back to earth!!
Amen Brother! As I stated at the start... message to kid -- I'm spoiled... recommend a used 4 door sedan as the way to go (I do four years old - that keeps it safe and not the worst one in the high school parking lot)
Old 05-16-2007, 07:16 PM
kem
Instructor

I firmly believe your first car from you parents should be a hand me down. It teaches you to respect what you have, and when you finally do get a nice vehicle (especially if its given to you) you learn that you have to earn something. This is of course my own opinion and what would work for me, not knowing your family this course of action might be wrong or not necessary.

We all drive fast cars and to many of us a base boxster is a slow car, but lets not kid around here. We are all a bit jaded, a boxster is a VERY fast car compared to what most people drive (especially young adults). You could easily get in a lot of trouble (legally or physically) in a boxster.

I think if your intent on getting something new or newer but nice for you daughter, I would consider the Audi A4/A3 maybe even a TT. Its a nice classy car and the AWD is really safe for a younger driver, especially if you consider what it will do in the rain etc...
Old 05-16-2007, 07:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kem
This is of course my own opinion and what would work for me, not knowing your family this course of action might be wrong or not necessary.
kem.....you couldn't have said it any better. While I understand both sides of the argument (as I have already stated) for people to give a BLANKET statement that a car should or should not be given to a new driver is just ignorant and 100% subjective in it's conclusion.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:46 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Yesterday's wall street journal had an article on this very subject in the personal section-- what is a good 1st car for your kids.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:50 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Something you could post?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:28 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Didn't keep the paper...read it quickly yesterday. Theme was to buy a somewhat older, but nicer car...and there was a lot of discussion about safety and crash testing. I recall they mentioned a couple of VW models, and the Volvos and BMW's from a few years back as good choices.

There was no discussion of Boxsters and Cayennes as a good first car. (Probably not on the radar screen for most, even for the WSJ crowd).

Quick Reply: Cayenne a good first vehicle?