Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne a good first vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:41 AM
peachboy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best wheel for your daughter would be an older 3/4 tons pickup with a detuned diesel engine....for your son I would highly recommend a GT3 but pleeease be reasonable and outfit it with street tires...wait a second am I using a double standard...darn...hope my wife doesn't see this...
Old 05-09-2007, 12:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It was interesting to note that when my daughter went to her performance driving classes, they mentioned that a high center of gravity vehicle (SUV, pickup, crossover, etc) was NOT a good choice, based on insurance company accident records/research. The chance for rollover in a high speed avoidance maneuver was the likely cause.

They recommended 2-4 door sedans or estate wagons (I've always felt that the Audi A4 Avant was much more balanced than the A4 sedan), equipped with full airbag/side curtain systems.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:57 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
It was interesting to note that when my daughter went to her performance driving classes, they mentioned that a high center of gravity vehicle (SUV, pickup, crossover, etc) was NOT a good choice, based on insurance company accident records/research. The chance for rollover in a high speed avoidance maneuver was the likely cause.

They recommended 2-4 door sedans or estate wagons (I've always felt that the Audi A4 Avant was much more balanced than the A4 sedan), equipped with full airbag/side curtain systems.
Absolute Agreement with Lewis here. Sorry to you SUV, Pick-up fans. The number of roll-overs that teens have had just from the ones that I know with my kids is unbelievably high. One girl over-reacted and rolled an Escalade 5 times at 60+ mph when she fell asleep about 1AM (curfews help with this), woke up when off the shoulder, over-steered to get back on the road.. rolled and rolled and then slid on the side into a tree. Coma for weeks, slighly paralyzed on one side and some speech issues. I bet that I could name a dozen high school kids that have rolled a pick-up or SUV. Thus, My decision to go with 4DR SEDANS was made to maximize the odds of KEEPING THEM ALIVE. I think there are plenty of suitable cars.. but again, I have a great independent shop for service so went with Volvos... plus they are heavy.. 4 years old means slightly lethargic.. but enough power to get out of trouble.. low so no roll-overs and still the best occupant "cage" for the pax of lower priced cars in my opinion and the insurance guys that I've talked to.. my rates on the Volvos are substantially less than other cars, SUV, pick-ups etc.

Just a Dad giving advice from the benefit of experience. Oldest is a Jr. in college and has a accident free career.. I'm willing to help him with something nice next year at college graduation AFTER 6-7 years of learning how to drive.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
Absolute Agreement with Lewis here.......

Oh, NOW you've done it.
Welcome to the Cayenne Forum Dog House.
You won't be getting any Christmas cards from the Cayenne Faithful
Old 05-09-2007, 02:26 PM
charlieXS
Pro

OH but everyone knows the Cayenne handles like a sports car and is immune to truck-like rollover characteristics.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Larry is going to mention that to Sir Isaac Newton (they're playing golf this week)......let's see what Sir Isaac has to say about your statement.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:38 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
My daughter has been driving with a learners permit for a year now. She'll be getting her driver's license next month. During her training period, she has driven my wife's 04 Expedition and my 05 Excursion. She is a really good driver from what I can tell so far, having driven the very hairy sections of Central Florida roadways including the Turnpike and I-4. I haven't let her drive the GT3 yet...and probably won't anytime soon.

Anyhow, my wife is determined to buy her a relatively high end vehicle for her first vehicle. Two on the short list are the Cayenne and the base Boxster with "chicktronic" transmission.

Any comments on the Cayenne &/or Boxster as per reliability, safety, appropriateness for a first vehicle for a 16 yr old? I would have chosen something more along the lines of a 72 Buick LeSabre, but the wife thinks otherwise. I suppose from a reliability standpoint a newer vehicle is nice and the wife has the money saved to pay cash, so I suppose I'll go with it.
To be perfectly blunt, buying a car like that for your 16 year old daughter is doing her NO favors.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:44 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

I'm 17 and my personal car is a 944. However, the only reason my mom allowed me to buy this car was because it would be off the road for a while while I rebuilt the sucker in the garage (after homework was done of course :P).

I learned to drive in my family's van, and also in my dad's 320HP Q45. After getting into the 944, I never want to drive any other car. It's a blast to drive and goes plenty fast when I want it to.

If I had a child who had just turned 16, I wouldn't buy her a new Porsche. They are simply too powerful for someone of the age to handle. Several times this year in my school district, kids have been killed while racing in the Z28 that their parent bought them, or their Mustang GT, etc. My 944 puts out 150HP at the crank, and that's all I really need. The main reason I got comfortable driving the Q45 was because it weighs over 4,000lbs and makes up for the gobs of power.

For a first car, if it's going to be something upscale, get her an Acura or something. It's not overpowered, it's reliable as hell (it IS a Honda), and has the leather seats you want. They've got a nice automatic too, I've driven a TSX before. If not an Acura, find a used 3-series or an '00 Benz or something.

Just as long as it doesn't say "PORSCHE" on the crest.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:46 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
To be perfectly blunt, buying a car like that for your 16 year old daughter is doing her NO favors.
What do you think you're going to do when she decides it's time to change cars? I know I've got the high-expectation disease, getting her a brand new Cayenne will just make it worse. If I ever choose to change cars in a few years, I'd get an Audi of this model year. I know I'll have a possibility to afford that S4 in a couple of years, unlike when your daughter asks you to get her a nice shiny Gallardo.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:52 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Yes I know that hot cars and 16 year olds don't mix. That's why my Father took me out on the Autobaun and said " I know your going to drive fast, let me show you how to do it right, so you don't get yourself killed"

I would get her the Cayenne but take that approach.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:12 PM
HD2pct
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for your insight, V2.

Everything you said is very sensible.

BTW, it looks like you're on the right track, automotively.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:10 PM
eaglejackson
Track Day

So, Mark, what did you decide?
Old 05-13-2007, 03:53 PM
Darkhare
Intermediate

The VW eos is the perfect car for a girl, chicks love the convertable and the visibility with the top down is perfect....

I honestly wouldn't recomend a porsche for a new driver, If you forget a few maintenance stops in a vw it's not a big deal. In a porsche you're looking at thousands of dollars.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:56 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkhare
If you forget a few maintenance stops in a vw it's not a big deal.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:04 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
that's two of us
skip a few oil changes and no maintenance on any car and you could be by the side of the road with smoke coming from the hood.

Quick Reply: Cayenne a good first vehicle?