Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Cayenne maintenance too much to handle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 10:40 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by v10rick
How many listings have you seen with a shot of the factory window sticker?
A classic indicator of what it will cost to fix, when (not if) it breaks.

If you could locate a Gen I Cayenne which never had fluid leak out or water leak in and lived in a warm climate all its life it would be one to consider purchasing.

Not knowing this for certain a Cayenne that will transfer title for $1 is the only one to consider. IMO
I don't know. I am getting mine for $3200 with 175,000 on it. Then again, I do my own work on my 928 S4 so it isn't as scary as someone who never wrenches on their own car. Be cool to see if the Cayenne engine would fit in the 928.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:15 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 475 Posts

My '06 V6 has been pretty much bullet proof. 150k miles.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:12 PM
Michael Styles
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Holy dead thread revival Batman! I think this sets a recent record - 10 years!

I'd suggest looking at the stickies. Much is explained there. Good used Cayennes aren't a scarce item, but neglected and costly ones also are out there - dragging down the used market prices.

These were expensive vehicles new. They remain expensive vehicles when it comes to repairs. Repairs and parts prices don't depreciate like the selling prices do. Even regular wear items like brakes and tires are $$$.

Porsche made a lot of Cayennes - lots and lots and lots more than any other model they've ever made of any vehicle - so you'll see what appears to be a lot of Cayennes for sale, but compared to the number in existence - the number for sale isn't all that great.

As far as "buyers market"? Yes - if you're willing to go out on a limb for one that has no service history, multiple prior owners who may have neglected it, and unaddressed issues. The smart buyer reads our stickies and goes out forewarned as to issues that could be costly. Not so much for good ones with known service histories that are well maintained.
I appreciate all of the responses to my question about purchasing a used Cayenne. I have a lot to consider...still interested though. I need to talk to some more Cayenne owners, for sure. Thank you.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:20 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 602 Posts

It can be Love-Hate ride.

It drives nice when it runs and feels almost invincible in the rain, but...

These are getting old and with any complex old vehicle, problems can be daunting and expensive.

Cayenne does not embrace the KISS principle.

Other things with the 06 that I find irritating are:

Fit & Finish is sub-par for such a vehicle. My interior plastic is painted gray!

Ergonomics are poor. Porsche really needed some avionic human factor guys. The side view mirror controls are beyond arm's length, so you need to lean forward to adjust the mirrors, then sit back to see if they are right.

The memory seat buttons are hidden on the side of the seat. You can't feel any difference from one button to the next and must open the door to find the right button.

The window controls are too easily activated on the arm wrests.

Plenty of 12-Volt power outlets everywhere but where you need them.

Steering wheel is large and clunky. Again, the buttons are painted plastic and the paint wears and chips off.

Rear cup holder much to fragile.

Interior and some exterior trim breaks off. Plastic gets brittle with age, so the older models have more problems with trim pieces and removing them to service the vehicle can lead to breakage.

Lastly, oil changes on the V6 is absolutely insane. You will be drier standing under a gushing Texas oil well than pulling the oil filter on a Cayenne.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:27 PM
CTTGenTherapy
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I see a question of maintenance costs my first thought is always a sarcastic!

How much ya' got ? 😃🤑🤑
Old 08-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Michael Styles
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much reading, I can understand why my original inquiry about purchasing a used Cayenne might cause the upward rolling of eyes,�� or "ok, here we go..." I like to peruse owners forums because I believe the best consumer ratings come from the owners. I did my own auto repairs for many years, except for automatic transmissions. I now believe to go and buy a used Cayenne, I'd need to single, 30 years younger, and living off a trust fund. ��
Old 08-31-2017, 08:35 AM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the great irony is that the original poster was concerned about the maint costs on a NEW Cayenne, as we debate the merits of owning a decade plus old version.

Not much less to maintain today than when new and almost certainly a LOT more is required as they age.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:27 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Is Cayenne maintenance too much to handle?
Depends...are you a 'snowflake' or a man?
Old 08-31-2017, 06:27 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood
Depends...are you a 'snowflake' or a man?
Old 08-31-2017, 07:11 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 304 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by prosled8
I think the great irony is that the original poster was concerned about the maint costs on a NEW Cayenne, as we debate the merits of owning a decade plus old version.

Not much less to maintain today than when new and almost certainly a LOT more is required as they age.
Well, considering the thread was started in 07, the "new" one the OP may or may not have gotten will new be a decade old.

Originally Posted by Michael Styles
After much reading, I can understand why my original inquiry about purchasing a used Cayenne might cause the upward rolling of eyes,�� or "ok, here we go..." I like to peruse owners forums because I believe the best consumer ratings come from the owners. I did my own auto repairs for many years, except for automatic transmissions. I now believe to go and buy a used Cayenne, I'd need to single, 30 years younger, and living off a trust fund. ��
I don't agree with that assessment. I'm single, but haven't been 30 for a while, and I work for a living. Nowhere near rich.

I do my own work, and while owning mine hasn't been cheap, it's not all that bad. Parts are not cheap, which kinda goes along with the fact that the car was $90k back in 05 when new.

I've seen it suggested to plan on ~$2k per year for maintenance, if you do your own work. I think that's a pretty good "ballpark".

Any 10 year old, 100k mile car will need to be taken care of. Stuff's going to break. But don't let the horror stories scare you away. Keep in mind that all the problems show up here. But not all the cars have all the problems. And there are some pretty ingenious fixes that are on here.

The "love/hate" is fairly true. For me, it's been a lot more love than hate though. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:35 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,116 Likes on 602 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Well, considering the thread was started in 07, the "new" one the OP may or may not have gotten will new be a decade old.

I don't agree with that assessment. I'm single, but haven't been 30 for a while, and I work for a living. Nowhere near rich.

I do my own work, and while owning mine hasn't been cheap, it's not all that bad. Parts are not cheap, which kinda goes along with the fact that the car was $90k back in 05 when new.

I've seen it suggested to plan on ~$2k per year for maintenance, if you do your own work. I think that's a pretty good "ballpark".

Any 10 year old, 100k mile car will need to be taken care of. Stuff's going to break. But don't let the horror stories scare you away. Keep in mind that all the problems show up here. But not all the cars have all the problems. And there are some pretty ingenious fixes that are on here.

The "love/hate" is fairly true. For me, it's been a lot more love than hate though. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.
I can say that out of all the Porsches I have owned, and I have continuosly owned Porsches for the last 29 years, the Cayenne has been the most troublesome.

Now, the Cayenne is a sample size of one for me. Your expenses may vary.

I just wish it was as reliable and trouble free as the other cars I have had through the years.

However, as my wife just pointed out, despite its cascade of faults along the way, it did get us back from a 1,600 mile trip.

And Joe, you are correct about there being a great deal of wisdom here. Couldn't/wouldn't have done it without everyone's help!
Old 09-01-2017, 09:23 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by CTTGenTherapy
When I see a question of maintenance costs my first thought is always a sarcastic!

How much ya' got ? 😃🤑🤑
^^^Agree^^^

how about..."if you have to ask you cannot afford it"
Old 09-01-2017, 11:25 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

^^^^
LOL, just like the mpg question!
Old 09-01-2017, 03:56 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
^^^^
LOL, just like the mpg question!
I always answer with, did you mean gpm? ;-) (well, in case of Europe, I respond with loooh, you mean XYZ liter per 100km? I meant per 20km" ;-) )
Old 09-05-2017, 02:02 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

See my sig. Vehicle #3 on that list was a maintenance Soap Opera. Almost every CEL I got on that thing led to a stranded, tow-me-away breakdown. I finally had to STOP that madness... after spending 2x the worth of the car. By comparison, both Cayennes are tame.

Quick Reply: Is Cayenne maintenance too much to handle?