Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife's interested in trading her 99 XK8 Jag for a >$35k used AWD SUV. Cayenne or ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:39 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Wife's interested in trading her 99 XK8 Jag for a >$35k used AWD SUV. Cayenne or ?

Posted this on the 993 board but you folks might be more knowledgable about the Cayenne. It seems from what I've read here on your forum, the pre 05 cars are a big gamble and not a great bet. The 2005's out of warranty might be a real risk?!? That ain't good...

My BMW web board thought a 2005 Lexus RX330 would be the best bet. Personally, I can't see how I could be caught dead driving this car, but ... it might be perfect for her.

I need ideas for an SUV that's "hot" for my wife who's 47. It also can't be too huge either . She doesn't hardly ever take her roof down on her Jag and would like a larger vehicle that she could also take to the ski slopes and get us out of our neighborhood when it snows (now, we just get stuck for a couple of days each time it snows). Many times she need to put people in her back seats and it's incredibly tight in her Jaguar. We need to be around $35k or less use and it has to easily fit 5 people.

I don't feel like my BMW 740i easily fits 5 for a long trip. That middle hump is a bitch to sit on for a long period of time. I thought that a used BMW X3 might be nice for her but they seem kind of small for the 5th person on that middle rear seat. Anyone have experience with one?

The used BMW X5 seems also kind of tight in the back for a 5th person, but I can't be sure without doing more research. The last time I sat in one it seemed tight.

She likes the LX470 but they're HUGE and she'd prefer something a bit less gargantuan for a thin, 5'3" woman. Here's the car she'd have to give up to get a 4 wheel drive.

She wants something with some pizzaz. I thought 2006 Lexus RX 330 might be perfect for her, but they look kind of feminine to me and I certainly wouldn't be proud to drive one:

The only AWD I really love is the MB G Wagon but she hates this vehicle. I guess this one is strictly a guy thing or something. I adore this boxy truck...(A 2002 model year is around $32k or so)

I really dislike the used ML Mercedes so that's out.

I kind of like the 2005-6 Acura MDX in grey so that's a possibility...at least it would be reliable I'm guessing, which is important to her.

Being a guy, I'd like a used Range Rover, but she'd never go for that. Too big. The smaller Land Rover's are too boxy for her and her friend had one for a while (a Discovery) and it had lots of problems. The Volvo SUV is ok but says soccer mom all over it to me. A used Audi All Road is decent looking, but not my favorite either.

I would like to afford a used 2004-5 Cayenne "S" Porsche (here's a 2004 for around $35,900k). That might be perfect, yet the back seat is kind of cramped, isn't it?

Knowing that I'm posting this on a Porsche forum, I'm guessing that your answers might sway in the Porsche direction... but is it really the best used AWD SUV for around $33k-$35k, for a woman? Which would you pick for your wife in this price range?

Thx in advance,
Steve R
Old 02-26-2007, 01:56 AM
charlieXS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm.... interesting.

I test drove nearly all of those. Wife liked the Lexus RX too... it drives like a Camry. Fantastic engineering and runs like a sewing machine. But ZERO excitement.

The X3 was kinda fun like a go-kart. But it just felt cheap and small.

The X5 is a bit tippy, has too many small buttons and controls ans every soccer mom from here to NYC drives one.

The Acura is nice, kinda like a raised AWD Honda Accord.

I settled on the Cayenne... and a 05 CS at 35K-40K is possible. Avoid 04, still had gremlins.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:02 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thx for the info. We'll have to focus then on waiting for the 05 Cayennes to come down a bit in price over the next few months. The Cayenne's don't seem to get a great rap amongst Porsche drivers, reliability wise... It'll be interesting to see what she thinks after driving and looking at all these SUV's in person. I'm going to try and steer her towards something that appeals to me too.

Steve R
Old 02-26-2007, 07:14 AM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

I assume the Acura RDX is too small.

Wife drives an 06 MDX after trading an 02. The rear seating configuration for 7 makes it a great vehicle for traveling families.

The MDX (and all of the other acura's we have owned) have been great cars. If I could have sold my Pepper I would have seriously considered taking her 02 MDX when she upgraded. Of course that trade off would have included another Porsche somewhere in the equation.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks for that info on the Acura. I'm kind of shocked that you all aren't having me jump hard for a Cayenne. I'll check out pics of the Acura. Seating for 7 is nothing short of amazing in an SUV this small. That could really help out when we have to lug my daughter and her friends, or tons of groceries.

Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 02-26-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:05 AM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You left out the VW Touareg. The V8 might be a decent alternative for you to consider in your price range.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:27 AM
jordan2tre
AutoX

I'm in a similar situation. Looking at the same cars almost (x3, x5, cayenne). My wife actually likes the toyota rav4.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:33 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by willfranklin
You left out the VW Touareg. The V8 might be a decent alternative for you to consider in your price range.
Agreed, and VAG interior design is always rated near/at the top, well ahead of PAG.
It is also 65%-85% common with the Cayenne (parts and assembly/labor), same unibody, etc....
Old 02-26-2007, 12:06 PM
sigs
Racer

First off, are you buying the thing for you or your wife??? Are you buying it for function or as a fashion statement? You're comparing apples, oranges, apricots, and watermelons. Surely, your wife must have some more distinct opinions. She certainly will have them after she drives one of these for a while.

Major limitations such as whether she really wants to seat 7 or carry a lot of cargo are the first cut, and could eliminate several options, depending on her choice. One assumes from your options that you don't really need any serious 4WD capability, which would really be the only reason (IMHO) to consider the Rover or the G, and maybe even the Cayenne, depending on her other answers.

When you say she wants pizzaz, what does that mean? Does she want acceleration? Handling? Or just something that looks different than thousands of others on the road (in which case, you're out of luck with any of them, except the G-wagon she doesn't like), but you're especially SOL with RX330, MDX, or X3-5. If it's just the "cute" factor, that's her choice, not yours.

Is service and reliability important? Advantage Lexus and, maybe, Acura, unless there is something different about your local dealers than most.

Comfort around town and on long road trips? Definitely Lexus or another car-based SUV.

Ill-defined "driving passion"? Cayenne or Xx.

I'd start with the things she absolutely wants, then figure out what she likes and dislikes about her Jag. If she's like most women (and men) the thing that is most important to her in a new vehicle is often to remedy what she most dislikes, while keeping as much of what she really likes, about her current vehicle.

Bottom line, there is a reason why there are so many women (including my wife) driving Lexuses out there and it's not just so they can make fun of the crappy customer service their husbands get with their Cayennes (although my wife does enjoy that part immensely). And, while it offers no driving thrills whatsoever, it offers no bad surprises (except for the mileage), impeccable dealer service, and, if so equipped, a Mark Levinson stereo system that can make you forget the embarrassment of having to drive it occasionally.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:13 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

I hear ya about the Tourag. Nothing against anyone that has one, but I just don't want a car called a Tourag. It's just a "it ain't me" thing. A vehicle has got to be a little "me", and that name doesn't do it for me.

A friend: "Hey Steve-O, what kind of car did you get?

Me: "Uhh, a Tourag"

Friend: "Say what?"

Me: "I know, a stupid name..."

Friend: "Dude, you bought a Tourag? Dude, I'm sorry, that's lame. Why did they have to call it that? Why didn't you get the Porsche Cayenne? Jeez, you coulda hada Porsche. Doh."

Me: "Ughhhh".

Steve R

Me:
Old 02-26-2007, 12:19 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Infinity FX (35 or 45)?
Old 02-26-2007, 12:28 PM
SHV
8th Gear

The '06 Cayenne's are now being sold at significant discounts.

Steve
Old 02-26-2007, 12:58 PM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

Interesting delima. As sad as it may seem, the Lexus Rx may be the right choice given her need and prefs and budget. Not very exciting, but nicely equipped with the luxury touches. With some good all season tires it should perform well, and be virtually maintenance free. We have had 3 LX 470's over the past 9 years and they just keep working. No fuss, no hassle. The Cayenne will need a second set of winter wheels/tires if that is the route you choose, and the warranty issues can be covered by CPO extended coverage to 100k if done through he dealer at time of purchase. ( how close is the Porsche Dealer, and is the service dept up to snuff ?) as you may get to know them better than you want.

My 04 Cayenne Turbo has turned into a great car, but has had its share of warranty work, and I expect it will need more for the remaining 18 months of warranty. After that, I will probably get another one simply because the benefits of power, comfort, styling, handling, and panache, outweigh the maintenance, depreciation, and occasional inconvenience. But it's my job to service the beast and pay for the privilege of ownership. Its a trade off I will make for myself, but one she would not choose if it were her daily driver.

Some other choices would include the Acura MDX (very quick, comfortable but a bit bigger (with a great NAV unit) as well as the others mentioned.

My wife was looking for a new car recently and was all over the map! We looked at Hummer H3's, Jeep Wranglers, Jag XKR verts, and the Lexus 450 Hybrid {I said it was all over the map!} In the end she picked up a 997 S Cab that followed her home from the Porsche Dealer while the Cayenne was in for service. Check back in two years and we'll see if the choice was a good one.

Happy trails
ps + 1 on the Infinity as a good choice.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:00 PM
sigs
Racer

Originally Posted by ltc
Infinity FX (35 or 45)?
As they say on the gum commercials - "Brilliant!"

Wouldn't be a choice for me, but sounds like the solution to all Steve's problems, including that nasty neurosis about funky names. I think that one needs to go to a shrink, or at least some sort of "self-esteem" coach. Provided the seating and cargo space fit the bill, which would seem the case from his other options, the styling certainly has "pizzazz." Probably not quite the reliability of a Lexus, but compared to a Jag....
Old 02-26-2007, 01:02 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couldn't get more to the point than Sigs.

And just to clarify, Steve96C4S, you're not this Steve-O, or are you? If so, I never knew you had a wife

Quick Reply: Wife's interested in trading her 99 XK8 Jag for a >$35k used AWD SUV. Cayenne or ?