Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife's interested in trading her 99 XK8 Jag for a >$35k used AWD SUV. Cayenne or ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 437 Posts

Well, I appreciate your replies and I know I have some neurosis about SUV's in general. I'm not a fan of the Infinity's looks, and my neighbor has one so I'd kind of want something different. I think he has the FX35 in black.

The more I look at the Cayenne, I like it. Joanne (on this forum) has one in bright red that looks awesome next to her other Porsches! Yeah, looks and panache are a big deal to me. Nothing wrong with that, right?

The LX 330 does make the most sense, or a Jeep. We are supposed to look in a week or so at the auto park where they have most of these models. If only the 06 Cayennes were closer to $40k. I know, they're not, so why even bring it up...

Steve R
Old 02-26-2007, 01:21 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, you got big ones... Does she know you posted her picture? Does she know that you're asking about a Cayenne? Does she know that YOU want to tell her what is best for HER... And, if it is her car, what is the whole schtick about 'TOUR-RAG', maybe she likes how that sounds?

On Porsche website (http://www.porsche.com) a quote from Jon Lovitz --- "Uh, to tell you the truth, she'd hate a Cayenne.. ummmm, yeah that's right... ummmmm yeah, go for the FX45 or Lexus or BMW.... She'll love them.. uhhh, she can't buy one... Cayennes are only sold to MEN!"
Old 02-26-2007, 01:45 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

MadFox. Sounds like you're mad at me. I guess I'll have to live with that.

To answer your questions, MadFox: Yes, she saw that I posted her pic. I guess I'll remove it if it offended anyone (already done).

I mentioned to her about the Cayenne and her eyes lighted up. She always wanted a Porsche but she needs more room. The Cayenne fits the bill there.

No, I didn't even think about the Tourag when I talked to her nor mentioned it to her. It's just not my cup of tea. I've had VW's in the past and said I'd never own another after spending $5k the last year I had my Jetta just to keep it running. It may not make any sense to anyone else on the planet, but I'm not buying a VW. Nuff said there. If she likes it the best and wants one, then I'll have to deal with that then and there.

Cheers,
Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 02-26-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Given the current dealer trade in prices for 04 Cayennes (mid 30 to high 30's), then a CPO 04 S should be in the low 40's sometime this year, perhaps by summer.

As it looks as though you've made your decision for a CS, I would strongly advise going with a CPO from a Porsche dealer. Owning a CS 'naked' will make the $5K used to keep your Jetta running look like fun.
Also, make sure it has all of the options you want, adding options to a Cayenne is ill advised (VIN specific harness nature of the pig)

I'd say 'Welcome Aboard', but I don't own a Cayenne....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

BTW, the Cayenne Cliff is -------> this way.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:16 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
MadFox. Sounds like you're mad at me. I guess I'll live with that.
Not at all.. we're just brutally honest with opinions around here.........
To answer your questions, MadFox: Yes, she saw that I posted her pic. I guess I'll remove it if it offended anyone (already done).
Doesn't offend anyone.. but most people prefer to remain anonymous.. just interesting that you're speaking for her.. ENIGMAWMN would probably have her husband's "testiculars" if he did that for her, here.
I mentioned to her about the Cayenne and her eyes lighted up. She always wanted a Porsche but she needs more room. The Cayenne fits the bill there.).
"lighted up?" are you from alabama?!
It may not make any sense to anyone else on the planet, but I'm not buying a VW. Nuff said there.
Oh, this will be fun......... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1......... ENTER --- LTC.. do you care to comment on him "not" actually buying a VW?
Old 02-26-2007, 02:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
Oh, this will be fun......... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1......... ENTER --- LTC.. do you care to comment on him "not" actually buying a VW?
He'll figure it out in time.....they all do.
However, it does seem like an 04 CPO CS is the correct vehicle for his situation.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:27 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
He'll figure it out in time.....they all do.
However, it does seem like an 04 CPO CS is the correct vehicle for his situation.
yahhhhhh... das iz twho.. der VW is der underpinningz of zee Cayenne.. but voondahbah.. vee like it dis vway.

04 CPO?? und you are vouchingz fuhr zee zero fourtd? .. zis iz still verry riskee... das zee dealer in her areaz have loanerz for vhen it zits in zee shop for vweekz?
Old 02-26-2007, 02:37 PM
sigs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

04 CPO?? und you are vouchingz fuhr zee zero fourtd? .. zis iz still verry riskee... das zee dealer in her areaz have loanerz for vhen it zits in zee shop for vweekz?

ltc recommending an '04? He must be overmedicated today.

As for the loaners, did I mention the glee my wife gets out of my scratched-up loaner Camrys, when she gets a new RX 330 to drive if her car is at the Lexus service dept for anything that will take more than an hour?
Old 02-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Hmmm - So, what I hear you saying is that the Cayenne is actually, basically, mostly, a VW Tourag, in ... disguise as a fancy, shmancy, Poorshe?

Uh oh, back to the drawing board, and I just found this...
Is this ugly to you? The wheels are kind of funky to me.
You're really scaring me about that CPO or forget it stuff... are they that bad?

Didn't they hear about cleaning a car before putting ads on cars.com?

This car is listed at $51,999 for an '06. I wonder if they deal down to ... $45k?
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...eadExists=true

Steve R
Old 02-26-2007, 02:46 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not at all.. we're just brutally honest with opinions around here.........
Doesn't offend anyone.. but most people prefer to remain anonymous.. just interesting that you're speaking for her.. ENIGMAWMN would probably have her husband's "testiculars" if he did that for her, here.
ENIGMAWMN surely agrees ... But, since we are brutally honest with opinions here, I do want to say that based on the photo of Steve-O's wife I would recommend she go for a Lexus, b/c it's more feminine and I just couldn't picture her getting out of a Cayenne.

A question for Steve - does your wife like performance + speeding & spending lots of time in a service department? If so, go for a Cayenne. If she's about quietly floating down the highway in a car that will be virtually trouble-free, go for a Lexus
Old 02-26-2007, 03:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Hmmm - So, what I hear you saying is that the Cayenne is actually, basically, mostly, a VW Tourag, in ... disguise as a fancy, shmancy, Poorshe?
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but yes:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...ad.php?t=295741
VW workers produce more than 85% of the wholesale value of every Cayenne, and that the Cayenne shares 65% of its parts and modules with VW's Touareg

This car is listed at $51,999 for an '06. I wonder if they deal down to ... $45k? Steve R
Doubt it.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
A question for Steve - does your wife like performance + speeding & spending lots of time in a service department? If so, go for a Cayenne. If she's about quietly floating down the highway in a car that will be virtually trouble-free, go for a Lexus
Hmmm - a trouble free car is PARAMOUNT with a capital P for her. I'm the sports guy, the guy that doesn't mind waiting for service all day for my sporty car. She? I'm the one that'll have to be waiting for her car in service! She doesn't do the "waiting in the service dept for service" thing.

Uh, Lexus then? Eegads.

Steve R
Old 02-26-2007, 03:16 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmmm - a trouble free car is PARAMOUNT with a capital P for her. I'm the sports guy, the guy that doesn't mind waiting for service all day for my sporty car. She? I'm the one that'll have to be waiting for her car in service! She doesn't do the "waiting in the service dept for service" thing.

Uh, Lexus then? Eegads.
If you were going for a brand new Cayenne, suggestions would have been different. But an '04 and even '05 are really a gamble and will most likely have you stopping by to take care of this/that/the other pretty often.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Uh, Lexus then? Eegads.

Steve R

"Trouble Free Car", "PARAMOUNT"......used in the Cayenne forum ?

Old 02-26-2007, 03:26 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by sigs

ltc recommending an '04? He must be overmedicated today.
Actually, I was just trying to be helpful.

On the other hand, it is a bit like being a rescue swimmer. When you swim out to rescue a drowning person, if that person refuses to obey your commands, you have 2 choices:
1. struggle to gain control over the person/situation and risk drowning along with them
2. leave them to drown.

I was just sitting at the computer, snorkel, swim fins, water wings, just waiting.....

Quick Reply: Wife's interested in trading her 99 XK8 Jag for a >$35k used AWD SUV. Cayenne or ?