Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 07:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question Who wants a hybrid Cayenne

OK, let's play a game, strictly hypothetical of course....

Let's assume for a moment that there actually IS a Cayenne hybrid.
Let's assume for a moment that there is someone (no names) who has been cursed (yet again) by having to design systems for it.......and no, it's not anything like a Toyota/Ford hybrid system.....or even a Honda.......leave it to VAG/PAG to totally screw the pooch on electrical system design, yet again.
(Ironic that when Dr Porsche produced the world's first hybrid back in the early 1900's, he had no idea that Dr W and the modern day nitwits would screw it up so badly, but I digress)

So, who would actually want to buy a Cayenne hybrid?

Show of hands please.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think you can ask a hypothetical question like that without some hypotetical data points, eg premium $, performance #s, and most importantly will it have bluetooth and an IPod interface?
Old 02-10-2007, 08:07 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I would definetely check it out.......
Old 02-10-2007, 09:03 PM
bancu
Racer

I tell people that ask about my CT that it's incredible when I can push it but think I'd be better off with a hybrid for around town stop and go stuff. If the hybrid addresses the hesitation, and has a sport button, I'd take a look.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:08 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

No thanks! My Prius is an Audi A-3!
Old 02-10-2007, 09:11 PM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok, these are the people who took 3 years to perfect the rear glass switch? a HYBRID? my wife has a honda insight, and it is not something i would recommend trying to copy. the simplicity hides alot, and even it has gone through a couple of free service upgrades.

porsche.... hybrid... i need to buy more stock in tums.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:22 PM
sigs
Racer

Agree with Shamus, - need more data.

Agree with Droptop, - "What, and give me just that much more opportunity to drive a loaner Camry?!?!"

On the other hand, if I can't have a spare, why not fill that space with a bunch of batteries? May help balance out the weight distribution a bit.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:27 PM
BinNY
Intermediate

I had a Lexus 400h for a year and a half. If you drive around town for only a few miles, the gas mileage is terrible (you must drive far/long enough to charge up the batteries). My commute to work is about 2 miles. I was averaging 12-13 mpg (premium fuel). When I drove 30-40 miles, I could get 20-22 mpg. I never get anywhere the 30+ mpg that was advertised. Since I was getting only 12-13 mpg, I thought I might as well be in a CTT! The Lexus 400h had lots of low end torque because of the batteries - 650 ft-lb or something like that. It was easy to chirp your tires on dry pavement even with 4 wheel drive. That only lasted a split second though. I was given an RX330 as a loaner and preferred it to the hybrid. Seems like a diesel such as mercedes bluetec would be a much better approach for Porsche.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

Given "no names" avowed love for the Cayenne platform...Given "no names" past experience with Cayenne electronics (e.g., MOST system which has taken the user population almost 4 years to effectively or at least openly attach an IPOD or other device to)...Given the fact that "hybrid technology" is not yet ready for prime time...Hypothetically, I don't think I would be interested!!
Old 02-11-2007, 01:57 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

Give me a V10 or V12 TDI anyday, but then of course dr w said Porsche would never sell a diesel, guess he forgot about the tractors... what a joke...
Old 02-12-2007, 01:57 PM
jangobox
Instructor

I would love a Porsche I could drive everyday on HOV by myself. Sure.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:14 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Cay-ute
Given "no names" avowed love for the Cayenne platform...Given "no names" past experience with Cayenne electronics (e.g., MOST system which has taken the user population almost 4 years to effectively or at least openly attach an IPOD or other device to)...Given the fact that "hybrid technology" is not yet ready for prime time...Hypothetically, I don't think I would be interested!!
So, you claim to know the identity of "No Names" ?

I'm pretty sure there are some people in Atlanta and Germany who would like to know his/her identity as well.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

Duly Noted!!
Old 02-12-2007, 09:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

On a related topic, I'm having a lot of fun observing hybrid behavior in cold weather, as my daily driver is a hybrid (06 Ford Escape Hybrid AWD).

The avg mpg goes WAY down, partly due to battery efficiency vs temperature, but more due to the fact that the hybrid likes (needs) to keep the engine warm, so when it shuts off to run off batteries, the engine cools down so fast it has to restart the gas engine, even though the batteries could still provide additional charge.

In the summer months, I was getting ~ 34mpg, now in the winter, I'm getting 29 or so.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:35 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what do you think of the hybrid escape? i rented a regular escape to go to california for a week (didn't trust the cayenne to make it there and back with all the !) and found the v6 to be a pretty good ride, if a little boring. the AWD is great too, i crested a hill at 80 and went from dry, sunny pavement to 3 inches of snow (and sunny) on the roadway. there were several wrecks (including a really nasty fatality in a 4runner that flipped) but the escape kept all four paws on the ground without complaining. nice ride if a little bland...

Quick Reply: Who wants a hybrid Cayenne