Sponsored by:

WANTED: Cool "Pic" of you and your Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:55 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Correct. Should have known it would go on sale right after I purchased mine. No biggie still worth while investment and still a lot cheaper. Great camera and I will be getting the attachment so I can use all my R lenses with it.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:15 AM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've auto crossed my old 996 a lot back in the day. I was set up to do the track up in Scottsdale, but alas I've moved a long way from there. There is the PCA Club in ABQ and I need to look into that. But that's 200 miles up the road, The shootin range is just down the street. I've been invited to partake in some in coarse offered by Scottsdale Porsche which I'm going to take them up on that, in the winter. My experience with these cars goes back to when my Father taught me how to drive them in Europe when there were no speed limits in any country back in the 70's. Plus this whole state is a track if you know where the cops hang out. My Father did teach me the limits of adhesion in a original 911 and that was the greatest and scary lesson that I have ever had.

Your right, Porches and Vettes and the Italian cars are made for racing. But the market is turning to the luxury side and who has the most horsepower. I had an E-55 which would run like a bat out hell but handled like a Dodge Pickup. I am very disappointed in BMW and Mercedes. There not true performance cars anymore they are just hype. For the Lindsay Lohan types. The times they are a changing. I feel the Cayenne was designed with performance in mind, in many different Categories.

As far as women drivers goes my eldest daughter can drive me into the dirt. That's a stereotype I don't agree with.

As for Board edicate I thought you came across a little rough on Daniela. Not explaining yourself and your feelings as you did in later posts. I think it's great that she did that. You don't really get to test the limits of your car on the LIE. So good for her. I hope she keeps it going.

As for my 15000 miles in my Cayenne. It was a great all weather fast, stable, reliable car. Not one Problem. I don't care if they build the transmission in Japan and the frame in some old East Block Country. It worked for me. But I would rather have a 997S and do the Jeep thing in a cheap Jeep.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:38 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Here's my 0.00002 - just posted as "me"....

My feeling is - some of you are "missing the fox in the forest".. Drivers Education is EXACTLY THAT - Drivers Education. It's NOT about racing, who is fast, who is slow, who drives WHAT - it's about having a "student" learn to drive in a controlled manner. Let me say that again - It's NOT about racing...

Now - personally, being a PCA National Instructor, instructing for BMW Clubs and others - I've been in situations with crappy students with crappy attitudes. Those folks are "unsafe" - and I ask them to leave the track. I've also been in situations with GREAT students whose cars I won't let on the track - they have crappy - "unsafe" - cars....

And yea - I've had the opportunity to drive some really great cars on the track. And yea - that includes a Cayenne. Did my driving style change - you bet your buttocks it did - BUT, I learned a whole lot about the car - AND LEARNED A WHOLE LOT about driving it as I tooled it around. Was it "unsafe"? Well - I sure as hell wouldn't want to RACE it - BUT Drivers Education is NOT RACING!. And it drove a whole LOT better, and was SAFER then some of the "other" cars that somehow, pass "TECH".

So as for Daniela? You keep up with the enthusiasm and wanting to learn to drive your Cayenne.. If I ever have the opportunity to meet you at the track - I'd be honored to be your instructor. If I could take your enthusiasm and "bottle" it, it would be sold as rocket fuel

And last time - Drivers Education is NOT RACING!

John D.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:52 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John D.
Here's my 0.00002 - just posted as "me"....

My feeling is - some of you are "missing the fox in the forest".. Drivers Education is EXACTLY THAT - Drivers Education. It's NOT about racing, who is fast, who is slow, who drives WHAT - it's about having a "student" learn to drive in a controlled manner. Let me say that again - It's NOT about racing...

Now - personally, being a PCA National Instructor, instructing for BMW Clubs and others - I've been in situations with crappy students with crappy attitudes. Those folks are "unsafe" - and I ask them to leave the track. I've also been in situations with GREAT students whose cars I won't let on the track - they have crappy - "unsafe" - cars....

And yea - I've had the opportunity to drive some really great cars on the track. And yea - that includes a Cayenne. Did my driving style change - you bet your buttocks it did - BUT, I learned a whole lot about the car - AND LEARNED A WHOLE LOT about driving it as I tooled it around. Was it "unsafe"? Well - I sure as hell wouldn't want to RACE it - BUT Drivers Education is NOT RACING!. And it drove a whole LOT better, and was SAFER then some of the "other" cars that somehow, pass "TECH".

So as for Daniela? You keep up with the enthusiasm and wanting to learn to drive your Cayenne.. If I ever have the opportunity to meet you at the track - I'd be honored to be your instructor. If I could take your enthusiasm and "bottle" it, it would be sold as rocket fuel

And last time - Drivers Education is NOT RACING!

John D.

She does have lots of enthusiasm
Old 08-23-2007, 12:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
As far as women drivers goes my eldest daughter can drive me into the dirt. That's a stereotype I don't agree with..
I never said it was a stereotype. PCNA has decided to advertise/offer 'Ladies Only' high performance driving classes....I merely mentioned it as I had recently received the ad via email.
Interesting that would they make/offer this level of differentiation, as they were already offering 'high performance driving courses' which were open to both men and women.

My son races karts and there are some female drivers. I have told him that once a helmet goes on, it doesn't matter at all. Once off the track, he acts like a gentleman, holding a door open for a lady, etc.

Originally Posted by ChipAZ
As for Board edicate I thought you came across a little rough on Daniela. Not explaining yourself and your feelings as you did in later posts.
I disagree.
Here is the quote in question:

Originally Posted by ditalo
[..... It turned out it was hard for ppl to see my hand since the car was so big, so I ended up borrowing my instructor's red gloves--that worked!!! lol ..]

Originally Replied by ltc
That is one of the biggest reasons why a Cayenne does NOT belong on the track with other vehicles.

I was not hard on Daniela; I commented on the vehicle, not the driver.
I merely commented on the fact that there are 'issues' or 'concerns' with Cayennes on the track, again, as evidenced by some regions allowing them, some not.

I'm happy she enjoyed her track experience and that she enjoys her Cayenne.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:47 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I was not hard on Daniela; I commented on the vehicle, not the driver. I merely commented on the fact that there are 'issues' or 'concerns' with Cayennes on the track, again, as evidenced by some regions allowing them, some not. I'm happy she enjoyed her track experience and that she enjoys her Cayenne.
Oh, don't get all "squishy" on us.. I like you're tell it like it is personality..

I don't race.. but it doesn't take a "racer" to see that a 6000 pound vehicle that sits at twice the height of most 911's shouldn't be on the same track for a race. Formula 1, Nascar, etc. don't have vehicles all that much different from each other. As has been stated ad nauseum, DE is for whomever wants to be there... I can see how an all ladies class would be less intimidating for racing.. not sure I agree with a DE... as I imagine in a DE class, I'd like to have Enigmawmn, Danielle et al there so I wouldn't have to stare at some male ugly mug instructor all day.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:24 PM
ChipAZ
Pro

Originally Posted by ltc
I never said it was a stereotype. PCNA has decided to advertise/offer 'Ladies Only' high performance driving classes....I merely mentioned it as I had recently received the ad via email.
Interesting that would they make/offer this level of differentiation, as they were already offering 'high performance driving courses' which were open to both men and women.

My son races karts and there are some female drivers. I have told him that once a helmet goes on, it doesn't matter at all. Once off the track, he acts like a gentleman, holding a door open for a lady, etc.

Didn't say you said it, EnigmaWmn said it sort of and I understand her point. Poor driving on the public streets is unisex sport, but if the ladies want to learn let them. I'm of the opinion that those that think women can't handle a car is as weel as men are wrong. Women fly commerical jetliners and I don't see any difference there.

I disagree.
Here is the quote in question:

Originally Posted by ditalo
[..... It turned out it was hard for ppl to see my hand since the car was so big, so I ended up borrowing my instructor's red gloves--that worked!!! lol ..]

Originally Replied by ltc
That is one of the biggest reasons why a Cayenne does NOT belong on the track with other vehicles.

I was not hard on Daniela; I commented on the vehicle, not the driver.
I merely commented on the fact that there are 'issues' or 'concerns' with Cayennes on the track, again, as evidenced by some regions allowing them, some not.

I'm happy she enjoyed her track experience and that she enjoys her Cayenne.
You explained yourself in later post. But I took at the time that we should ignore her deal with all the pictures and talk about track politics on Cayenne's Well it's up to the powers the be that own the track to do what ever. I can see your point too. But I don't really know what goes on east coast tracks. My experiance is that you had to have a helmet that the club approved, doing auto cross. Etc and Etc. The chances of rolling a car on airport tarmack made all that seem silly to me. But I'm that kind of a guy anyway. Lets get on with the racing and not talk all day about every little thing. A lot of you will take exception to what I've said and I very much understand that.

Did
Old 08-23-2007, 03:29 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Correct. Should have known it would go on sale right after I purchased mine. No biggie still worth while investment and still a lot cheaper. Great camera and I will be getting the attachment so I can use all my R lenses with it.
Lumix is to Leica as Touareg to Cayenne. The price difference is for the logo, right? :-D

Exercise the new purchase and post more photos
Old 08-23-2007, 03:52 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Lumix is to Leica as Touareg to Cayenne. The price difference is for the logo, right? :-D

Exercise the new purchase and post more photos
Actually not quite the Lumix is like the Touareg with a Porsche engine. At least in the old days the lens was 90% of the camera. Today the senors are a large part. I did play with the Leica and to be honest they both have the same quirks the leica is better but not worth double the price as where a cayenne is IMO.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Larry's Cayenne (both are no longer with us: Larry is dearly departed , the Cayenne is just departed for parts unknown ) and the 996TT
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2007, 10:50 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LTC--

That TT looks like it is just dying to have its legs stretched....Have you found any time this summer to blow it out?

BTW-- I was at EPE this week for an oil change in the 993. Jerry sends his regards. I love stopping in there, like a kid in a candy store.
Attached Images      
Old 08-23-2007, 11:48 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rome
BTW-- I was at EPE this week for an oil change in the 993. Jerry sends his regards. I love stopping in there, like a kid in a candy store.
Great pics.. Love your 993.. it still is one of the best, if not the best, looking iterations.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:30 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Tried playing with the new camera, it will take a while to learn how to use but fair luck so far. Some pictures of the 04 TT after a cleaning. I also just added an 08 Avalanche to the towing group. What a boat but rather plush inside. A lot of features we could use in the Cayenne. The last is the 93-GTS.
Attached Images       
Old 08-28-2007, 04:53 AM
Cognac
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

many nikon users here!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:28 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes there are, heres one , off topic slightly but interesting all the same. Taken last week in Grand Junction, CO. On their way to Aspen for a hill climb.
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: WANTED: Cool "Pic" of you and your Cayenne