Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 10:37 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
DMD,
Here is that thread I mentioned (there are others):
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/315695-is-6500lbs-enought-capacity-to-tow.html

Again, towing with a Cayenne in a straight line (depending on trailer weight AND length in comparison to the tow vehicle) is fairly safe.

It's when you have to swerve, or the trailer starts to swerve all by itself, then the issues with shorter wheelbase tow vehicles come into play.
I've seen folks tow 911's to the track on open Trailex trailers with Chrysler MiniVans......doable, but not ideal.

Again, if a dedicated "Cowboy Cadillac" tow horse is NOT in your plans, then a Cayenne, towing properly with respect and attention, is adequate.
Thanks, now can you help me with the negotiations of the Cayenne S Titanium edition iceland silver MSRP $73,705.
Do you think I can get it for $60K?

BTW I would really like to meet you, at the track or for lunch.... I just want to "pick your brains".....
Old 12-15-2006, 10:50 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by catchacab
The experts say the longer the wheelbase and wider the track of the tow vehicle the better it will tow.

I had a 2002 GMC Denali, I know use my 2004 Cayenne S (shorter wheelbase and narrower track). The Trailer is a Trailex open trailer with a 944 on it. Which tows better? The Cayenne by far. Better in a strait line, better on turns, more power on inclines, brakes are far superior. The CS has the air suspension, I normally drive in Comfort setting, tow in Normal. If there is a obstruction in the road the Cayenne is better at getting around it. Need to stop quickly, Cayenne!!! My next tow vehicle 2008 or 2009 CTT.

28 K miles on the car, minor annoyances (air bag light, drive shaft coupler out of balance, original alignment specs. (thanks for the prorated new tires PCNA), self opening rear hatch glass.
Thanks for the info.......
Old 12-15-2006, 10:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Thanks, now can you help me with the negotiations of the Cayenne S Titanium edition iceland silver MSRP $73,705.
Do you think I can get it for $60K?
No, not quite that low.....I'd be surprised.
Originally Posted by BostonDMD
BTW I would really like to meet you, at the track or for lunch.... I just want to "pick your brains".....
If things settle down, I'll send you a PM.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:08 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
No, not quite that low.....I'd be surprised.

If things settle down, I'll send you a PM.
I was offered $2500 below invoice today.

When I asked if that was the best they could do, they said "no". They didn't want to give me the rock bottom price until I checked around and see what other better offers I could gather, they seemed willing to deal.....

You still think $ 13k off MSRP is unrealistic?

I'll be looking forward to your PM
Old 12-16-2006, 01:45 AM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is in the shop again - PSM workshop - faulty All wheel drive.
Even my wife is considering releasing me from my 3 year moratorium on a new car.
Oops maybe this post belongs in the "wife won, exhaust gone thread

Shamus
'04 (beta) Cayenne S
Old 12-16-2006, 06:35 AM
tbill
Racer

We have an 2004 "S" with 33,000 miles on it. No problems, other than dealer not advising about swapping out summer tires for snow tires. Found out after driving to hospital for heart tests and losing it in the snow and destroying highway route sign on the side of the road (no damaged to vehicle though).
I would purchase a replacement, but not a base model, only an "S" or Turbo. Shop around and I would think you could get a really good deal with the excess inventory that is around.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:04 AM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 48 Posts

Do I dare chime in and make Larry mad.......we have an April 2003 delivery (badged as a 2004) C-TT that just rolled over the magical 100,000 mile mark (her ride, my 2003 996TT X50 is just under the 130,000 mile mark).........we love it and will run the beast till it dies - we have been extremely lucky with ours as far as issues go.......one cardan shaft, one set of coil packs and one water pump other than that it's been brakes, tires, oil changes and normal maintenance!! I did a three year lease on her to start and re-fi'd the end out about 4 months ago as it did not make sense to trade it in for a new one!! My only regret is that I wish it had more room as we have 2 young kids and 2 large Rottweilers to "tow" around!!
Old 12-16-2006, 11:10 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 571 Posts

Interesting comment about the brakes- last summer we were on a long tow to Road America and I was towing one spec Miata on a small open trailer behind the Cayenne. My son was towing the other Miata in the ATC trailer behind a friend's Titan. In heavy traffic around Madison a truck cut in right in front of him and then slammed on his brakes- my son couldn't stop and rear ended him. We had the brakes on the trailer turned up but the brakes on the Titan ( a reasonably big full size pickup) aren't nearly as good as the ones on the Cayenne. You have to plan ahead and drive very defensively when towing especially in traffic...
Old 12-16-2006, 11:18 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skl

Interesting comment about the brakes- last summer we were on a long tow to Road America and I was towing one spec Miata on a small open trailer behind the Cayenne. My son was towing the other Miata in the ATC trailer behind a friend's Titan. In heavy traffic around Madison a truck cut in right in front of him and then slammed on his brakes- my son couldn't stop and rear ended him. We had the brakes on the trailer turned up but the brakes on the Titan ( a reasonably big full size pickup) aren't nearly as good as the ones on the Cayenne. You have to plan ahead and drive very defensively when towing especially in traffic...
Nice looking set up.....
Old 12-16-2006, 12:57 PM
catchacab
Instructor

I got 9K off sticker when I bought my 04 CS in November 03. I had bought a 996 from the dealer two years earlier, (5% off sticker). I think Boston DMD can get 10-11K off sticker as his best deal.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:49 PM
ozr
Racer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Shamus
Mine is in the shop again - PSM workshop - faulty All wheel drive.
Very many 2004/2005 Cays have faulty component from the PORSCHE AG factory supplier: transfer case electric motor (pumping oil inside transfer case).

...many folks replaced broken/leaking/noisy transfer case...but the source of the problem in MOST of the cases is a small faulty electro motor component in a transfer case, FAULTY from the factory supplier...

Motor fails to operate, oil stops comming properly into transfer case components, whole transfer case fails leaking oil and posting "PSM workshop - faulty All wheel drive".

Go to dealer replace this electric motor ASAP. It may be necessary to replace whole transfer case, if it started falling aparts/leaking...

OZRacing
Old 12-16-2006, 05:28 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Love mine. When the lease runs up in the next 1.5 years we will trade up to a S or TT since we tow an enclosed 20' trailer to the track and could really use the extra "umph" when the road decides to incline. Other than that, problem free 2005 with zero problems to date as well as no trailer lighting issues.....Pace American 20' Enclosed Auto Trailer with STANDARD lights (no LEDs for me).
Old 12-16-2006, 08:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LVDell
.....as well as no trailer lighting issues.....Pace American 20' Enclosed Auto Trailer with STANDARD lights (no LEDs for me).
Yes, and you forgot to mention you have the MAGIC number of standard/incandescent trailer lights......isn't that right 'skl'?

As for LED's, IMHO the "!" adds a bit of personality to towing.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:18 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 571 Posts

You never let me down Larry...
Old 12-16-2006, 08:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by skl
You never let me down Larry...
I just think that Porsche should say something like "Stepladder Not Included".....otherwise, how are you supposed to reach the top running lights to disconnect them and make the headlights actually work and not get a "!"?

OK, I can see Porsche not providing a spare tire, after all, they did provide Cayenne owners with 3 different Porsche Roadside Assistance cards......but not providing a step ladder......now they've crossed the line IMHO.

Quick Reply: Would you buy/lease another Cayenne?