Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy/lease another Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Stone43
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if any of you other guys are getting these, but my dealer here in San Diego has been sending me letters (2 this week!) about how heaviliy discounted the new Cayennes are. As much as $20K!

So there may be a little inventory glut happening....use it to your advantage.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:45 PM
prm1177
Intermediate

After 13 months and 26,000 miles, I'd buy another one. I'll report back in another year.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:01 PM
ozr
Racer

Lightbulb

I would get another Cay, if facelifted Cay is hesitation free or has substantially reduced hesitation...

OZRacing
Old 12-15-2006, 03:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I am looking for a cool looking, sporty SUV, that I can drive to my offices or on the track when the Cayman, that the Cayenne would be in charge of towing, needs a rest.
Is that too much to ask?
From what you described, a Cayenne/open trailer/Cayman is an acceptable combination. I would suggest doing some reading on towing:
http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm
http://www.sherline.com/lmwkshet.htm
http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

Yes, towing is fairly straightforward, right up until you have an 'event'....crosswinds, 18wheeler blowing by you, getting that 'tail wagging' going.....then it quickly turns into an accident.
There is a fairly active thread going on in the Racing/DE forum regarding towing capacity and wheelbase.
Rennlist member 'Redlineman' is a very good resource for this, and many other topics as well.

As for Cayenne track duty, again, check with 'tkerrmd'......
You WILL go thru a set of pads VERY quickly (you are trying to stop a large pig) and you WILL go thru tires quickly.

I would also check with some local region DE chairs to see what run groups they put Cayennes in/how high up they will allow them to run.

FWIW, I would NOT feel comfortable being on track with a Cayenne in the higher run groups.....simply for lack of forward looking visibility if I were behind one......and the fear of the damned thing tipping over and crushing 2-3 cars.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:50 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone43
Not sure if any of you other guys are getting these, but my dealer here in San Diego has been sending me letters (2 this week!) about how heaviliy discounted the new Cayennes are. As much as $20K!

So there may be a little inventory glut happening....use it to your advantage.
20K???

I have been offered $2500 below invoice, but I am sure I can do better....
Old 12-15-2006, 05:09 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc

I would also check with some local region DE chairs to see what run groups they put Cayennes in/how high up they will allow them to run.

FWIW, I would NOT feel comfortable being on track with a Cayenne in the higher run groups.....simply for lack of forward looking visibility if I were behind one......and the fear of the damned thing tipping over and crushing 2-3 cars.
Really looking forward in meeting you at the track next year!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 05:45 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just rolled over 30k miles in my 05 CS. For the most part they have been trouble-free miles.

I did have the neurotic rear hatch replaced twice. I don't know why Porsche like replacing known defictive parts with, known defective parts. It also spent the night at the dealer with what I thought was a rough idle problem. I thought it might have been the coils, but it was nothing. I had the cowboy belt buckles installed and promptly removed; dumb-asses.

At this point I would get another one, it is an impresive SUV. I can haul my 911 and it handles well. Now keeping this one after the warranty expires, that is another topic all together.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:57 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jaholmes
I just rolled over 30k miles in my 05 CS. For the most part they have been trouble-free miles.

I did have the neurotic rear hatch replaced twice. I don't know why Porsche like replacing known defictive parts with, known defective parts. It also spent the night at the dealer with what I thought was a rough idle problem. I thought it might have been the coils, but it was nothing. I had the cowboy belt buckles installed and promptly removed; dumb-asses.

At this point I would get another one, it is an impresive SUV. I can haul my 911 and it handles well. Now keeping this one after the warranty expires, that is another topic all together.
Great to hear you are happy, and most importantly that you haul your 911 with no problems.

Thanks for your response.....
Old 12-15-2006, 07:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Really looking forward in meeting you at the track next year!!!
Not sure if I'll be track driving next year.... depends on my son's karting schedule.....might be doing some longer distance traveling to new/different tracks.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

DMD,
Here is that thread I mentioned (there are others):
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/315695-is-6500lbs-enought-capacity-to-tow.html

Again, towing with a Cayenne in a straight line (depending on trailer weight AND length in comparison to the tow vehicle) is fairly safe.

It's when you have to swerve, or the trailer starts to swerve all by itself, then the issues with shorter wheelbase tow vehicles come into play.
I've seen folks tow 911's to the track on open Trailex trailers with Chrysler MiniVans......doable, but not ideal.

Again, if a dedicated "Cowboy Cadillac" tow horse is NOT in your plans, then a Cayenne, towing properly with respect and attention, is adequate.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:19 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 940 Likes on 571 Posts

I'll sure consider a CPO'ed CTT when my CS hits 50K...
Old 12-15-2006, 09:06 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Default Would you buy/lease another Cayenne?

To quote 'Ali G': "No doubt"
Old 12-15-2006, 10:11 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by skl
I'll sure consider a CPO'ed CTT when my CS hits 50K...
Just check exactly what IS covered and what is NOT covered in a CPO.....it's a bit different than the 4/50 original warranty
Old 12-15-2006, 10:21 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rome
To quote 'Ali G': "No doubt"
OT Rome is my favorite city......
Old 12-15-2006, 10:26 PM
catchacab
Instructor

The experts say the longer the wheelbase and wider the track of the tow vehicle the better it will tow.

I had a 2002 GMC Denali, I know use my 2004 Cayenne S (shorter wheelbase and narrower track). The Trailer is a Trailex open trailer with a 944 on it. Which tows better? The Cayenne by far. Better in a strait line, better on turns, more power on inclines, brakes are far superior. The CS has the air suspension, I normally drive in Comfort setting, tow in Normal. If there is a obstruction in the road the Cayenne is better at getting around it. Need to stop quickly, Cayenne!!! My next tow vehicle 2008 or 2009 CTT.

28 K miles on the car, minor annoyances (air bag light, drive shaft coupler out of balance, original alignment specs. (thanks for the prorated new tires PCNA), self opening rear hatch glass.

Quick Reply: Would you buy/lease another Cayenne?