Sponsored by:

Early Oil Change a Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 11:02 PM
BinNY
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early Oil Change a Problem?

Any reason a Porsche dealership would change the oil on a 2004 CTT at 3500 miles? Is this a problem? I recall reading something about not changing the oil early. Also, would a CPO'd car have all scheduled maintenace performed on it and can this be checked at any dealership if I have the VIN? Thanks for any information.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:07 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BinNY
Any reason a Porsche dealership would change the oil on a 2004 CTT at 3500 miles? Is this a problem? I recall reading something about not changing the oil early. Also, would a CPO'd car have all scheduled maintenace performed on it and can this be checked at any dealership if I have the VIN? Thanks for any information.
Yes, the dealership can verify service history via eDCS. It's easier if the work was done at that particular dealership, but service/recall/TSB status can be verified.

Was the oil change at 3500 miles done simply as part of the CPO process?

IIRC, PAG does not use 'break in oil' on these motors.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:16 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

I changed mine myself at about 4K miles the first time- wasn't going to leave it for 15K like Porsche suggests- don't care what they say. Of course, I don't believe Lewis ever changed his oil, or checked it for that matter...
Old 11-30-2006, 11:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I never washed the wheels...although the dealer did a couple of times when it was in for service.....likely out of pity.....or just embarassment of having it sitting on the lot.

Add oil? Of course I did. Whatever oil I happened to have available.
2 stroke kart oil (hey, it was Motul synthetic), 15W-40 diesel oil, Mystery oil.....I would have used Wesson oil if I had it around.

Nothing was too good for the "alleged" and beloved Cayenne.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:27 PM
BinNY
Intermediate

ltc, the answer to your question is no. The only thing in the maintenance manual is the 3500 mile oil change. The car is a 2004 CTT with 27,000 miles, CPO'd this month. The build date was 1/04 with an in service date of 11/04 (meaning the extended warranty is now 11/2010). Not sure why nothing else is written in the manual other than the oil change. I can't imagine it was CPO'd without the scheduled maintenance being done?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

By in the maintenance manual, I'm assuming you mean 'stamped'.

Simply ask the dealer to run the car thru their computers and print out the service history. They may not, unless the previous owner doesn't have a problem with it (they're sometimes touchy about those things..)

Build date of 01/04 and in service date of 11/04? Something sounds odd there.
I'm going to guess that this car was a dealer demo or lease, can't imagine why the in service date was so late....unless it's a completely hideous color combo and simply wouldn't sell.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:31 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
..............Build date of 01/04 and in service date of 11/04? Something sounds odd there. I'm going to guess that this car was a dealer demo or lease, can't imagine why the in service date was so late....unless it's a completely hideous color combo and simply wouldn't sell.
I vote that demo that had two flat left tires and was sold "new"!!! Wait wrong thread!?
Old 11-30-2006, 11:39 PM
BinNY
Intermediate

Jarama (sp?) beige exterior, sand/tan interior with wood trim; 20" rims; had 97K MSRP (plus has aftermarket xm and lojack). Any reason to care if it was a demo (clean carfax) -- you get a longer warranty. The car looks very very clean. 2 owners, the second guy only had it for 2 months and traded it for a 997TT.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Have you read this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/314755-pre-purchase-new-cayenne-damage.html

As long as you have a CPO prophylactic, then a beta model Cayenne should be manageable.

I would simply ask for all of the service records/history from the Porsche system, that's all.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

BTW, the aftermarket sat radio is due to the PCM in 04's NOT being SAT capable, so you can't retrofit the current OEM Sat radio kit......not sure if that matters or not.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:06 AM
BinNY
Intermediate

Yea. I read that thread. I'd be pretty annoyed. That being said, they are not saying it is a new car and it does have 27K miles on it (so hopefully any problems would be apparent by now). This is a very large dealership that has nothing but dozens of positives from other buyers (on e-bay). It seemed like a good deal to get a fairly late build (1/04) 2004 CTT that was originally worth over 100K (in theory) with a warranty (albiet limited) until late 2010 and in the colors and with options I like. The only thing I don't like are those stupid seat belt clips. Thank goodness it does not have entry and drive so the FOB actually works from 20 feet away. Oh, and turning off PSM actually does something fun! (I had an early build 2004 CS, argh).
Old 12-01-2006, 12:22 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Ah, yes the rear seatbelt "Cowboy Belt Buckles".....recall A506 IIRC.

If you do a quick search, you'll find the procedure to remove the aforementioned "Cowboy Belt Buckles". Once they're removed, it's up to you what to do with them.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:30 AM
BinNY
Intermediate

What the heck do those clips do, other than prevent the seat belt from retracting properly when you unbuckle your seat belt? It is a real pleasure to manually feed your seatbelt back (especially on a $100K car). Impresses the clients.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:40 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BinNY
What the heck do those clips do, other than prevent the seat belt from retracting properly when you unbuckle your seat belt? It is a real pleasure to manually feed your seatbelt back (especially on a $100K car). Impresses the clients.
You asked.....

Larry asked me to post this for him.....he's current sedated and strapped down to the bed in his 'tight fitting pajamas' and can't come to the keyboard right now:

Make : PORSCHE Model : CAYENNE Year : 2003
Build Dates : - 20040930
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V593000
Date Owner's Notified: 20050517 Date Received by ODI: 20041215 Date Added to Databse: 20041220
Manufacturer's Involved: PORSCHE CARS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Manufacturer's Responsible for the Recall: PORSCHE CARS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Manufacturer Campaign Number: A506
Component: SEAT BELTS
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 31000
Summary:
CERTAIN PASSENGER CARS FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 208, "OCCUPANT CRASH PROTECTION." ALL THREE REAR SEAT POSITIONS AND THE FRONT PASSENGER POSITION ARE EQUIPPED WITH SEAT BELT RETRACTORS THAT HAVE A LOCKING FEATURE WHICH CONVERTS THE RETRACTOR FROM AN EMERGENCY LOCKING RETRACTOR (ELR) MODE TO AN AUTOMATIC LOCKING RETRACTOR (ALR) MODE FOR THE PURPOSES OF CHILD RESTRAINT INSTALLATION. THE BELT MAY DEACTIVATE THE ALR MODE WITH CERTAIN CHILD RESTRAINTS.
Consequence:
WHEN INVOLVED IN A CRASH, THE CHILD RESTRAINTS MAY NOT BE PROPERLY SECURED INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY OR DEATH TO THE SEAT OCCUPANT.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL PERMANENTLY INSTALL A CLIP IN EITHER OF THE AFFECTED REAR OUTBOARD SEAT BELTS AND PROVIDE AN OWNER'S MANUAL INSERT. THE CLIPS WILL PREVENT UNWARRANTED CONVERSION FROM ALR TO ELR MODE WITH CHILD SEAT INSTALLATION. THE RECALL BEGAN MAY 17, 2005. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT PORSCHE AT 1-800-545-8039.
Report Initiator: OVSC Vehicles Report
Regulation Part Number: 571 Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard Number: 208
Notes:
CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATIONS AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

31000 affected vehicles.
NOW you know why they simply just didn't replace the seat belt with the redesigned one that was already in production...........$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
It's all about the profit$.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:00 AM
BinNY
Intermediate

So, if I use the LATCH system this is a non-issue (I know there was another recall for that!); and, a "booster" seat that uses the seat belt normally should not be affected, right? So can I toss the clips if I am using a booster seat (with the seat belt) and an infant seat with LATCH? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Early Oil Change a Problem?