Sponsored by:

Headlight condensation...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 04:31 AM
thsiao
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Headlight condensation...

I got a new 06 CS in early October... there is headlight condesation at night and the sales person told me it was normal for Cayennes and that there is no fix. I have read in forums that there is a "ventilation" system...

- How do I know if my car already has this "ventilation" system?
- Wouldn't these be in the 06 installed at factory?
- Does the "ventilation" system eliminate ALL condensation from the headlight?

Also, is there any way to increase the air flow in the rear vents??? There is barely any air coming out of those vents and my dealer says that is a problem with the Cayennes and there is no fix for that either... WTF.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:06 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by thsiao
I got a new 06 CS in early October... there is headlight condesation at night and the sales person told me it was normal for Cayennes and that there is no fix. I have read in forums that there is a "ventilation" system
- How do I know if my car already has this "ventilation" system?
- Wouldn't these be in the 06 installed at factory?
- Does the "ventilation" system eliminate ALL condensation from the headlight?
... WTF.
You can remove a headlight assembly (instructions are in the owner's manual) and verify that W424 was implemented for yourself.

Is the condensation permanent? Is it leaving spots on the inside of the lens assembly?

Here is the ventilation system history.
In the beginning, there was the 'stuff a sock in there to absorb moisutre".....one of my personal favorites.

This was then followed by W424 (adding a snorkel tube).....

But fear not, you are not alone, the 996's have headlights that sometimes get teary eyed during chick flicks and fog up as well (also attached)

Even owners of Turbos and GT2's were not spared (also attached)

Of course if you spent $450K for a Carrera GT, those headlights don't require a snorkel, since they don't fog up.

FWIW, some older Porsches (964's for example) used bleed air from the engine fan shroud assembly to ventilate the rear tail lamp assemblies; there was no need to do so for the front H4/H5 headlights.
Attached Images         
Old 11-23-2006, 11:10 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by thsiao
I got a new 06 CS in early October... is there any way to increase the air flow in the rear vents??? There is barely any air coming out of those vents and my dealer says that is a problem with the Cayennes and there is no fix for that either... WTF.
The simple fix is to close off the front center dashboard air vents; this will force the air thru the center console and back to the vents for the back seat passengers.
There is no secondary fan/blower for this function (4 zone A/C option works a bit differently, but we'll skip that for now)

Official Cayenne Forum Bartender and 2 time Cayenne owner 'MadFox' has reported that in his new Cayenne Titanium S (****), he has much improved airflow from the rear center console vents than in his earlier Cayenne.....sorry, but we don't talk much about the early alpha/beta days anymore......nor do we use the word "Hawaii" either.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:19 AM
Ton
Intermediate

I got a new 06 CS in early October... there is headlight condesation at night and the sales person told me it was normal for Cayennes and that there is no fix. I have read in forums that there is a "ventilation" system...
I got my CS in Mai 2006 and since a couple of weeks I have condensation too. Last week the modification was performed but today I noticed (even worse) condensation. Porsche centre will contact Porsche Netherlands...we will see
Old 11-23-2006, 11:29 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

we really havent had to many issues with condensation with the new style vents, Imguess you have xenon lampsdue to the nature of the lamps occasionaly you will have some ocndesation,
And fwiw the carrera gts had moistue issues and there was a bulletion for them too
Old 11-23-2006, 11:31 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
And fwiw the carrera gts had moistue issues and there was a bulletion for them too
I must have missed that one....
Old 11-23-2006, 11:35 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

w536. Installing new headlight ventilation to prevent moisture from forming in the headlights.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:38 PM
thsiao
AutoX

So people that have the ventilation kit don't see ANY sort of condensation in the headlights???
I have the HIDs and I can see condensation on the lower part of the headlight (kinda like a lower eyelid) when the headlights are on for a while at night.

However, once it dries out, it seems that the condensation disappears... BUT, I have only driven the car at night very few times (like 5 times) so I wouldn't think that there would be stains from condensation from 5 times either.

So my stupid dealership lied when they said there is no fix for it right? WTF...
Old 11-23-2006, 07:09 PM
thsiao
AutoX

If my VIN is WP1AB29P16LA668_ _ , that part of this list? Its supposed to be a 2006 CS. I'm confused by how they arrange these numbers...

Old 11-23-2006, 09:55 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Actually, the CGT was not spared. I saw CGT in the shop here where they were drilling the carbon fiber
to make passage for the snorkel tube.

I asked about the car and was told Porsche was handling this one very quietly.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:52 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

theres really not a fix for an 06, there havent been to many issues with an 06 is it one head light or both
Old 11-24-2006, 03:10 AM
thsiao
AutoX

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
theres really not a fix for an 06, there havent been to many issues with an 06 is it one head light or both
Condensation on the lower part of the headlight happens on both headlights...
Old 11-24-2006, 08:40 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

most likley normal, a small amount of condesation is normal on xenon lights
Old 01-23-2008, 11:04 PM
h_walker
Intermediate

According to my 2004 PET catalogue under Model 9pa, Year 04, Maingroup 9, Subgroup 05, illustration 905-00; Pos 10 in the diagram is Part Number 000 043 205 33 and is described as "dessicator bag headlamp". It would appear that the bags have to be replaced, but how often? I read on one of the Cayenne forums that someone removed these bags, heated them at 250 degrees F in his oven for 10 minutes, replaced them, and the condesation was gone... any truth to this? I may give it a try, as my 05 S has the same problem...
Old 01-23-2008, 11:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Default In no particular order

1. Let me take this opportunity, especially on behalf of 'MadFox' and the STFF emoticon, for actually searching and finding the thread.
2. Ignoring #1, stop digging up the dead.
3. Are you naked on your 05 Cayenne S? If not, then please direct your dealer to remove the headlight "maxi pads' and install the aforementioned ventilation kit.
4. If you are in fact naked, my condolences.
5. Yes, you can 'dry out' the dessicant bags. They are "designed" to work until they are saturated with moisture, which varies widely. If you can not 'dry out' your dessicant bags, you can probably get some 'off the shelf' ones that are routinely shipped with electronics, etc.....usually marked 'silica gel','do not eat/ingest'.
6. Are you allergic to shellfish?

Quick Reply: Headlight condensation...