Question!! Need Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 01:07 AM
Noubs
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question!! Need Help Please

here's the situation:

Purchasing the new BMW M5 or the Porsche Cayenne Turbo.

Both are somewhat in the same price range.

A friend of mine made a comment which really gave me a sense of doubt in purchasing the Cayenne Turbo.

he said something in the lines of:

"dont look at me when you're Cayenne breaks down"

now please, persuade me into getting the Cayenne Turbo. Im a BIG Porsche fan, i love my BMW X5 3.0, and i just believe the Cayenne Turbo can offer much more than my x5 right now.

what do you guyz think? how can i show my friend that he is WRONG.

peace!
Old 11-14-2006, 01:33 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Noubs
A friend of mine made a comment which really gave me a sense of doubt in purchasing the Cayenne Turbo. he said something in the lines of: "dont look at me when you're Cayenne breaks down"

now please, persuade me into getting the Cayenne Turbo. what do you guyz think? how can i show my friend that he is WRONG. peace!
1. Your friend isn't much of a friend. I don't think I'd ever say something like that to my friends... what does he know.. has he looked at the line? is he a car enthusiast? or is he a "know it all"? Cayenne break downs even in the alpha/beta models (search the forum) were rare events (I'm assuming 'break down' is the car has to be towed and is inoperable). But, in '05/'06 or laters the vehicle has been through the adjustment phase and is pretty much trouble free or JDPower wouldn't have rated Porsche #1 for first 90 days. The Cayenne sunk them the first year.
2. We shouldn't persuade you.. you should examine the facts and decide for yourself.
3. And why do you want to show up your friend? See point #1.. doesn't sound like much of a friendship.
4. If you have doubt about the vehicle, then remember a forum generally is a place to get help with problems and/or exchanging ideas amongst enthusiasts. Thus, a certain number of problems will be discussed ad nauseum and seem to be disproportionate as a percentage. But, you have to remember that boards also have very few opportunities to just "gush".. it isn't the nature of the forums.
5. Be a big boy... make your own decision and be prepared to live with it.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:48 AM
Noubs
Track Day

Originally Posted by MadFox
1. Your friend isn't much of a friend. I don't think I'd ever say something like that to my friends... what does he know.. has he looked at the line? is he a car enthusiast? or is he a "know it all"? Cayenne break downs even in the alpha/beta models (search the forum) were rare events (I'm assuming 'break down' is the car has to be towed and is inoperable). But, in '05/'06 or laters the vehicle has been through the adjustment phase and is pretty much trouble free or JDPower wouldn't have rated Porsche #1 for first 90 days. The Cayenne sunk them the first year.
2. We shouldn't persuade you.. you should examine the facts and decide for yourself.
3. And why do you want to show up your friend? See point #1.. doesn't sound like much of a friendship.
4. If you have doubt about the vehicle, then remember a forum generally is a place to get help with problems and/or exchanging ideas amongst enthusiasts. Thus, a certain number of problems will be discussed ad nauseum and seem to be disproportionate as a percentage. But, you have to remember that boards also have very few opportunities to just "gush".. it isn't the nature of the forums.
5. Be a big boy... make your own decision and be prepared to live with it.
im at 99% sure of getting the Cayenne Turbo once my lease is up. (i am a big boy...im gonna be 19 soon )

thanks for the help, you're right i shouldn't be persuaded, but it's good to read others backing you up on an opinion.

and maybe "friend" wasn't the right term used. more of rival situation. we are buddies, but for some reason were always in friendly competition.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:44 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

now please, persuade me into getting the Cayenne Turbo. Im a BIG Porsche fan,
You're a big Porsche fan.....you do of course realize that you're buying a vehicle that is 85% VAG content and 65% VAG employee assembled?

i love my BMW X5 3.0, and i just believe the Cayenne Turbo can offer much more than my x5 right now.
Offer you what?

what do you guyz think? how can i show my friend that he is WRONG.
A very wise man on rennlist once said (and had it in his sig).....I'm paraphrasing here:

Never argue with an idiot, once at their level, they always beat you with experience.

You love your X5 3.0, why not move up to a larger engine X5?

How about taking some car control clinics, driving schools......never mind, you're 19, I can see where this is headed.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:46 AM
GM Austin
Pro

Your experience with your X5 3.0 should tell you something. My ex-wife has one of those, it's about 3-4 years old now. Her X-5 has been problematic from the beginning, especially electrical gremlins that will conspire to drian her battery and leave her stranded. That is a recurring problem that seems incurable. But there's other issues as well. Overall, my Cayenne S is far more reliable with very few issues. Be aware that the Cayenne Turbo will use oil but that's just part of the deal and doesn't seem to affect its reliability.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:53 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cayenes have some issues, but alothough they may do some weird things, open the rear hatch on their own accord, give you all kinds of warning lights for minor or nonexistant problems and the wonderfull ! they will start and run and drive, its pretty rare for us to see a cayenne that didnt make it in under its own power the drive train has been bulltproof. But anything eletronic or mechincal can fail, wherter its your wtach, your walkman or your car.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:54 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I got a used 03 S first and then ordered my T. Have 33K miles on it and never a break down. Had one drive line problem that was fixed in a day which I drove into the dealer.. Downside with the P model is they have never heard of Bluetooth!
Old 11-15-2006, 11:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Maybe if you're good, Santa will bring you Bluetooth with PCM 3.0 H/W.....or then again, maybe he won't......depends on his medications........very hard to predict.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:28 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

19 yrs old??????
choices should be:

bud or bud light

blonde, brunette or redhead

And your dilemma is Cayenne or M5?

Am I missin something here???????????
Old 11-16-2006, 09:27 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SCOTITUDE
19 yrs old??????
choices should be:

bud or bud light

blonde, brunette or redhead

And your dilemma is Cayenne or M5?

Am I missin something here???????????
Tough choices... this one does not sound like it will end well. (thank god I didn't own an M5 at 19, as I wouldn't be here right now!)

My decision to buy a CTT was a compromise. Owning two cars in NYC was just a bitch. Why do you want a CTT, or an M5 at 19? Are you in Dubai? Unless you are a hard core skier/snowboarder, why do you want an CTT? Wait, you also want an M5, so you cannot be thinking about going off road.
Personally, if I had $100k burning a hole in my pocket to buy a car, I wouldn't buy an M5 or a CTT. Maybe an RS4 or maybe a used Cayenne S and 997!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

I'll take a blond with a bud light in her hand (okay, New Castle) ............and a CAYENNE TURBO!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 11:25 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

ltc, please don't tease me with h/w solutions! I am looking for s/w solutions-as on the cheap!
Old 11-16-2006, 11:33 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

On the cheap S/W solution for a Becker OEM MOST headunit......you must be dreaming.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:28 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

As an owner of a Cayenne Turbo and an M5, ask your friend about the "red cog of death" associated with a HIGH number of M5's. If he doesn't know what you're talking about, he doesn't know the M5 very well. The M5 is a fabolous car, but if you want reliability...go with the Cayenne. The nav system on the M5 is as slow as waiting for the roses to bloom. The overall complexity jammed into the M5 lends itself very welll to gremlins of all sorts. When it works, it works well. But it won't work as often. Get both so that you can use your Cayenne to tow the M5 when it breaks down.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:47 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Man, if they had the internet when i was 19 here would have been my post:

i am looking at a 69 vw bug or a 71 ford pinto. can anyone tell me their opinions of these 2 cars. i hear that the bug is a little harder to drive because of the rear engine. But on the other hand i heard pinto's BLOW UP if rear ended.
i've worked for the last 2 years and have saved up $1200.00 to spend. any of your opinions would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: Question!! Need Help Please