Sponsored by:

Flat tire means new tire!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 10:14 AM
ML
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat tire means new tire!!!

So I make a quick pit stop. Get back in the car and my TPMS alarms goes off (flat tire). Get out and indeed, front right is deflating as I look at it. Tried using the filler to no avail. Call roadside assistance, 2 hours later someone shows up to pick up car and drops at dealership.

Was then told that I needed a new tire because I drove on it, even if it was only 10 feet. I tell them that I simply followed the instructions of the owner's manual that tells you to drive 35 feet to spread filler around!!! So even though I followed insructions, I am told that side wall is ruined and that I need a new tire.

I call service manager to complain and am told that they have been instructed by Porsche not to fix any hole in tires but to automatically change the tire (story changed, apparently no longer a side wall issue). This means that everytime I get a flat, I must replace tire.

Anyone out there experienced this?

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:43 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ML
So I make a quick pit stop. Get back in the car and my TPMS alarms goes off (flat tire). Get out and indeed, front right is deflating as I look at it. Tried using the filler to no avail. Call roadside assistance, 2 hours later someone shows up to pick up car and drops at dealership.

Was then told that I needed a new tire because I drove on it, even if it was only 10 feet. I tell them that I simply followed the instructions of the owner's manual that tells you to drive 35 feet to spread filler around!!! So even though I followed insructions, I am told that side wall is ruined and that I need a new tire.

I call service manager to complain and am told that they have been instructed by Porsche not to fix any hole in tires but to automatically change the tire (story changed, apparently no longer a side wall issue). This means that everytime I get a flat, I must replace tire.

Anyone out there experienced this?

Thanks.
Yes, that is Porsche policy.. several times at the dealer they found small leaks with small nails, etc. PAG policy is that the dealer must replace the tire (I bought a tire/rim policy and it was a GREAT investment).. that is not however what you can do somewhere else.. PAG's policy is in place because a repaired tire can blow out at 120 - 150 MPH and thus they'd be liable by allowing it to be patched if you rolled the vehicle (died, etc) after having a PAG approved dealer patch it.. so if you're staying under 80 or so.. I'd get it patched at NTB, TireRack, etc. if it is a small leak i.e. a small nail etc. if it is a larger hole.. new tire makes sense.. and if you buy an aftermarket tire policy.. you don't care and get a new tire everytime!
Old 10-12-2006, 03:52 PM
JPhillips-998
Cows-4-Rent
Rennlist Member

I carry a plug repair kit along with the goo that Porsche provides. If you pick up a screw and get too large a hole, the goo will not fill it. If you haven't plugged your own tires, it is very easy and I have never had one fail after the repair.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:55 PM
sigs
Racer

Interesting. My dealer found a nail in one of my tires that I didn't know about a while back during an oil change and patched it without mentioning this "policy."
Old 10-14-2006, 07:49 AM
GM Austin
Pro

It is possible to repair most tires and maintain the speed rating, as long as the injury is in the tread portion of the tire. Finding the right place to get this done can be tricky though. In Austin there is an independent shop, SoulSpeed, that does an excellent repair that will maintain the tire manufacturers speed rating. Certain skills and patch materials are necessary, not things you find at NTB for example. See this link: http://www.retread.org/PDF/Rolwing.pdf
Old 10-14-2006, 10:15 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sigs
Interesting. My dealer found a nail in one of my tires that I didn't know about a while back during an oil change and patched it without mentioning this "policy."
I would venture to say that your dealer "winked" at the policy on your behalf if it is very superficial... my dealer would not do it and the service rep. insisted that it was their corporate (my dealer is in the SONIC Group) AND PAG policy ----- I think a guy named Larry thinks the policy is all about "profit".... whoops.. waking the Larry monster can be dangerous...........................

A guy named Larry while medicated once said.. "profit motivations as the primary concern for PAG, surely you jest!!"

Example of what happens I bet all across the "fruited dealer plain"... you're in for service, tech finds a nail in your tire.. Svc rep. calls and says, "PAG will not allow your tire to be "fixed" it must be "replaced" .. thus two options when they call you on the phone.. "go ahead and get a new tire" (my dealer is at least competitive but not the cheapest) or take it somewhere else and find a ride to go to work because no "loaner" at tires shops while it is installed (and oh, do they have a hunter machine??? see old posts) or go sit a few hours and watch daytime TV... i.e. watch "the" Oprah in the waiting room.. I think 90% of the time they pick up some more $$$ by quoting the "policy" and "us" saying "go ahead".

As Larry says, "class dismissed".
Old 10-15-2006, 12:56 AM
sigs
Racer

At the interest of getting flamed for a bad pun, MadFox, I'll bet you've "hit the nail on the head." Now, to make it even more interesting, I DO have the tire damage insurance, which was purchased through the dealer, but is from a third party (not PAG and not the dealer), but the policy specifically states the tire has to be "non-repairable." The nail was near the center of the tread, and I was told they pulled the tire off the wheel and did an appropriate "stem and repair," as alluded to by GM, followed by rebalancing (the side benefit was that the minimal residual vibration from the previous rebalancing disappeared). My bet is that it will hold up to anything I am likely to throw at it before the tread is gone. At least I have an official service record of it for my merry widow to use in court, if it doesn't.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:47 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sigs
At the interest of getting flamed for a bad pun, MadFox, I'll bet you've "hit the nail on the head." Now, to make it even more interesting, I DO have the tire damage insurance, which was purchased through the dealer, but is from a third party (not PAG and not the dealer), but the policy specifically states the tire has to be "non-repairable." The nail was near the center of the tread, and I was told they pulled the tire off the wheel and did an appropriate "stem and repair," as alluded to by GM, followed by rebalancing (the side benefit was that the minimal residual vibration from the previous rebalancing disappeared). My bet is that it will hold up to anything I am likely to throw at it before the tread is gone. At least I have an official service record of it for my merry widow to use in court, if it doesn't.
No flames here... we're a nice place still amazed that they repaired it.. I asked and was emphatically told that PAG no can do.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:03 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sigs, I had a TPMS low pressure warning (snow tire down 10 lbs) after truck was sitting a week. When the avatar pic was taken. Filled it up with air and drove 600 miles on it. Had local tire dealer look at it. Removed nail and patched it and have put another 4000 miles on tire. Would think the repair would hold unless you are putting the truck in extremis.

Quick Reply: Flat tire means new tire!!!