Sponsored by:

Rust Warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 04:43 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rust Warning

This was found on another board, written by an 04 user, some may remember the door noise problem a while ago caused by sealing problems on the door.

"I have an 04 Cayenne S that rusted from the inside of the door and throught the paint. I am posting this message so everyone checks for rust on their cars.

The rust on my car was due to poor sealing of the metal on the inside of the door skin. The corrosion was found where the door skin wraps around to the door frame. This was not due to rock chips. Please check all four of your doors. The Porsche dealer just repaired my vehicle and stated that they will only warranty the rust repair until the factory warranty is up. I requested the warranty on this one item, this one door only, to be extended to me beyond the factory period. I was refused! I guess I have a 2 week warranty on a failure in factory manufacturing. Toyota has this problem and the permanent correction includes door replacement."
Old 09-28-2006, 05:52 PM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's odd, I thought all porsche bodies were galvanized steel, which I thought didn't rust.

From Porsches marketing/dealer education info:
" In order to meet objectives for vehicle fording ability at a water depth of 500 mm for a period of 10 minutes, the body structure had to be designed with a special sealing configuration. This design uses a “dry sill” concept (fully-enclosed door sill). The difficulty of having to seal a “wet,” flooded door sill to protect the passenger compartment is thereby avoided. Foam reinforcement in the form of barrier
panels are installed on the A-pillar, B-pillar, and rear wheel housing, as well as in the junction between the door sill and columns; while the body is in the baking oven, the foam expands to form a seal.

A high-quality anti-corrosion surface is applied to the two-sided galvanized sheet metal to guarantee long-term durability. In addition, sealing body cavities with wax likewise contributes to long-term body integrity. In this process, body cavities are first filled with wax, then drained. Compared to usual spray wax procedures, this method offers superior wax penetration into the cracks and provides adequate sealing.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:57 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I agree, but the fault I mentioned above was a manufacturing fault so all bets are off
Old 09-28-2006, 07:50 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I was under the impression that Porsche's corrosion warranty was 10 years.
I know of 993 owners who are having their corrosion fixed under warranty 8-9 years later.

Hmmmm, this is beginning to look like Porsche may be turning their back on the Cayenne...... Kinda like all their other front-engined water cooled vehicles.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:46 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
This was found on another board, written by an 04 user, some may remember the door noise problem a while ago caused by sealing problems on the door.

"I have an 04 Cayenne S that rusted from the inside of the door and throught the paint. I am posting this message so everyone checks for rust on their cars.

The rust on my car was due to poor sealing of the metal on the inside of the door skin. The corrosion was found where the door skin wraps around to the door frame. This was not due to rock chips. Please check all four of your doors. The Porsche dealer just repaired my vehicle and stated that they will only warranty the rust repair until the factory warranty is up. I requested the warranty on this one item, this one door only, to be extended to me beyond the factory period. I was refused! I guess I have a 2 week warranty on a failure in factory manufacturing. Toyota has this problem and the permanent correction includes door replacement."

What was the door noise problem caused by sealing problems on the door? I serached the forum for "door noise" "door sealing problem, etc. , and cam up empty.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:54 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott C
Kinda like all their other front-engined water cooled vehicles.
Hmmm... but I've yet to find any rust on my abandoned-by-Porsche front-wasser-pumpers.

Regardless of whether this is an isolated defect (pass Kool-Aid please) it is LAME that the 10/100 rust warranty isn't honored by Porsche. It's an '04 model and Porsche is going to let it rust? Bastages.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:02 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

I will check out why we cannot get back that far, but old timers will recall that whistling noises fron the drivers door (and passenger side) was caused by some plugs which were missing.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:12 AM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

I've had the whistling noise from my driver's side door, there are a number of previsous posts on this.

PS my 968 is rust free and well past any 10 year warranty
Old 11-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

My dealer stated today that the 6 yr. 60k mile rust protection was in effect. My '04 get's inspected by a regional P-car rep Monday unless the dealer can get it done with pictures. This post will help...Thanks!
Old 11-18-2009, 06:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you for digging thru the P!g Pen's archives...glad you found something helpful (and nostalgic)
Old 07-21-2010, 10:03 AM
jdcorbitt3
Rennlist Member

I have the rust on my 06 CS with 51k miles on it. This car has lived in Florida all it's life. It is the passanger rear door. PCNA is fixing it under warranty. I think it will come back though. Something happened to the mettal when the seam was made. I think the proper fix is to replace the door. I hope not to have this car too long. I do think there are build quality issues in this car. These are issues I have seen in VWs. Hopefully VW starts building their cars more to the quality of real Porsches. Suburbans were that way. In the 70s they all rusted. By 2000 you could buy one and not worry about rust for 10 years. Hopefully the Gen 2 and Gen 3 will be better.

John
Old 07-21-2010, 10:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jdcorbitt3
I hope not to have this car too long. I do think there are build quality issues in this car. These are issues I have seen in VWs. Hopefully VW starts building their cars more to the quality of real Porsches.

John
You are aware that the Cayenne and Touareg unibodies are made together at the same factory?
(hence the reason you can not get a 'paint to sample' P!g)...
Old 07-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
You are aware that the Cayenne and Touareg unibodies are made together at the same factory?
Could it be that the steel sourced at Bratislava is made from recycled Ladas?

Whenever any body panel is folded and a raw exposed seam develops, body sealer must cover this seam to prevent corrosion. Primer & paint alone are unable to protect exposed and vulnerable areas like these.

Body sealer is similar to a caulking joint. In the past, I've had corrosion issues with other vehicles where a caulking joint was absent. The body sealer is generally applied by a robot however, the robot is incapable of determining whether or not the sealant was properly applied. A good example is when air gets trapped into a typical caulking gun and will yield a void along a perfectly-applied caulking run.

Quick Reply: Rust Warning