Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Cayenne - Is it a girls car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 12:45 PM
SteveWT
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Cayenne - Is it a girls car?

I'm considering getting a Cayenne and having spoken to some colleagues, I'm getting feedback that it's considered to be more of a ladies car.

I would be interested in reading the views of the group about this. It this the general perception or bad research on my part?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:12 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

It's a SUV, so yah it's most commonly used just as fancy grocery getter for husbands who don't want their wives driving a mini-van or a mini-van in the driveway. Most women get the groceries so I guess it could be considered a girls car just like any other SUV.
Funny thing is that boxsters are considered a girls car too. As well as even the 911 because they are so small and pretty.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Phil S
Advanced

SUV's by their nature tend to get driven by women a high percentage of the time. In my area SUV's are the vehicle of choice for families and they tend to get driven during the week by women dropping their kids off at school, etc. I hate to make general statements, but that is what I see a lot of in my area. The men take over on the weekends when the SUV's are used to tow the boat or pick up the lumber. Women even drive Hummers around here.

Since the Cayenne is more of an enthusiasts vehicle than most of the other SUV's it tends to attract more men than other brands. From discussions I have read here and elsewhere there are many men who enjoy the ability to own and drive the Porsche of suv's. There are many other brands that seem to appeal more to women than the Cayenne. My wife wouldn't have picked a Cayenne (she wanted a Mercedes ML). In discussions with the other women in my extended family (young and old) they also wouldn't have picked the Cayenne, but the guys sure seem to like it. I have a standing offer from my nephew to buy mine when I am ready to sell it.

All of this is just my opinion and isn't based on any facts that I can confirm.

Phil
Old 09-26-2006, 02:20 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most definitely a girl's car, so if you're a real man & wish to remain as such, don't bother with a Cayenne :-D
Old 09-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Grssypond
Advanced

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Most definitely a girl's car, so if you're a real man & wish to remain as such, don't bother with a Cayenne :-D

Soooo, what is a real man's vehicle??

Trucks...like an F-350? Plenty of women driving these in my neck of the woods, and they look good driving them.

Oh..cars < $100,000.....who wouldn't want a stable like 'magwheel'...even one of those babes..
Old 09-26-2006, 03:29 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Grssypond
Soooo, what is a real man's vehicle??
Want to be a real man - get one of 'em tanks Ahnuld's driving around :-D
Old 09-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Grssypond
Advanced

Want to be a real man - get one of 'em tanks Ahnuld's driving around :-D
Don't need to hide or shelter
Old 09-26-2006, 05:20 PM
mjw930
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 209 Posts

What exactly is a "girls" car?

I suppose my wife's Boxster S is a "girls" car because all I hear is whining everytime I blow away the 911's at an autocross

If you can call a vehicle with 450 HP, all wheel drive and a 7700 lb towing capacity a "girls" car then I guess we have 2 "girls" cars.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

mjw930 - No. You have one "girl car" the Cayenne. The Boxster and Cayman are metrosexual. I am surprised that I have to explain this to you
Old 09-26-2006, 06:54 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Interesting topic--

I see the Cayenne as more of a guy's car. Porsche has marketed it that way...Think back to the original TV commercials for the car with the guy in his pajamas putting the phone down on the driveway so his buddy could hear the engine. My wife says she prefers her ML styling wise etc...

In my neighborhood there are 5 Cayenne S's and one is driven by a woman. As base Cayennes have become prevalent, I seem to see more women drivers, but it seems like the S's and Turbos are more often driven by men. Not sure why this is, but it just seems to be that way. Same with the Range Rover, although the Discovery seems to be driven more by women.

As far a the Boxster goes, I see the "chick car" thing being more of a regional stigma. In California, it certainly has that reputation. But, on the East Coast where they are often bought as 3rd cars for the nice weather, I don't think that is the case. In fact, 90%+ of the ones I see are driven by men.

Before I bought my CS, I was considering a C4S, but I reasoned that I could buy BOTH a CS and a 987S for about the same price as one C4S, and I would use the Cayenne as a daily driver and the 987S for the weekends in the summer only.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:31 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Like I said before many-a-times, ANY car can be a "girl's" car, but if a car is painted in hot pink, it is certainly not driven by a man :-D

http://www.pbase.com/image/55778110/original
Old 09-26-2006, 07:33 PM
alcantara
Advanced

Funny...I have an S2K and a Cayenne...some would consider both to be girls cars...but my lady drives the S2K majority of the time.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Either way - this car/truck/SUV is sweet. It is all how you style your car, what model it is, color, what shoes it has, mods, etc.

Not a girls car at all - it is a WOMAN's car, or a MAN's car.

What is amusing is that it seems to work only in one direction though:
You put my shorty in an Abrams military tank and it will look like a chic's vehicle,
but if you put me in a VW cabrio or Mini or similar tiny car it looks like I am having an identity crisis in an "Erikson" kinda way.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:44 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Like I said before many-a-times, ANY car can be a "girl's" car, but if a car is painted in hot pink, it is certainly not driven by a man :-D

http://www.pbase.com/image/55778110/original
To quote a certian celebutante.... "That's Hot!"
Old 09-27-2006, 01:44 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Girls car - why do you even CARE what others are thinking about the car you are driving?

If you like it - BUY IT!!!

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayenne - Is it a girls car?