Sponsored by:

Minor Dissapointment

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:56 PM
schred
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Minor Dissapointment

We have been enjoying our new to us 04 CayeeneS for about 3 weeks and already it's back to the dealer for service.Just goes to show that a low mileage CPO car is nothing more than another preowned Porsche. All that talk of the dealers going over them to assure that all is right is a little blown out of proportion. We have a slight miss and hesitation off idle and a noticable miss when sitting in gear with foot on the brake.
I am also feeling that the hesitation has gotton worse just off idle and have read via searches that this is common and curable? Is this a factor of the E gas?
I still am loving this rig, If I can just get the off idle response to feel like my other P cars, then all will be well in my garage. Oh yeah, why does this car make me more aggressive in traffic than usual??? It seems to talk to me and always asked to be hammered. Wait, all my Porsches do that....
FS
Old 08-08-2006, 12:11 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Try turning off the PSM and see what happens. The hesitation has been a complaint forever, but our friends in Germany don't seem to care. Would have been a good opportunity here in Portland to bend the ear of one of the family members, but did not sign up for the dinners.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:32 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Slight miss....likely you have a cracked ignition coil, or two, or three......maybe even more. Should all be replaced with the 'updated' coils under CPO warranty.

Hesitation....yes, you have eGas, sorry.
As you have the beta version of the Cayenne, I would ask your dealer to verify the latest ECU/TCU updates have been installed/performed (both H/W and S/W). No, they won't like it, since it's $$...

As for getting the throttle response to fee like your other P cars, MAYBE with working ignition coils and PSM off, you might find it acceptable.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:45 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
MAYBE with working ignition coils and PSM off, you might find it acceptable.
Why would the service manager along with his "best" tech look at me funny and say that I should "Never, EVER!" be turning PSM Off?
Old 08-08-2006, 09:08 AM
schred
Racer

Thanks for the input on this. I am adding these items to my list. Yes , I did ask if all the latest TCU updates had been done on the car and of course the answer was yes. I did not view the computor screen nor get a print out of this at time if purchase. We do have a good service advisor at our local dealer, so I am going to go in and hope that he will indeed have these installed.
Thanks,
FS
Old 08-08-2006, 09:16 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally don't believe the dealers do anything when they CPO a car, except collect $1500, $1,800, $2,000... it varies.

When I picked up my CPO'ed 996, I was less than 3 days into ownership and I was back getting the coolant expansion tank replaced. One of the MOST common issues on the 996.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:59 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
Why would the service manager along with his "best" tech look at me funny and say that I should "Never, EVER!" be turning PSM Off?
Strange, considering you can never turn PSM (completely) off anyways.....
The minute you 'stand on the brakes', even if the switch is off, it comes back on, based on the assumption that the car determines that PSM stands for "Please Save Me".
Old 08-08-2006, 11:21 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Strange, considering you can never turn PSM (completely) off anyways.....
The minute you 'stand on the brakes', even if the switch is off, it comes back on, based on the assumption that the car determines that PSM stands for "Please Save Me".
That's exactly what I told them, but hey, who am I to argue with those who will ultimately decide the fate of my car.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:27 AM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

To me CPO is just for the warranty. I've purchased 2 CPO'ed BMWs- one only had 4,600 miles and needed nothing, the other had 19K, and I gave them a list of several things to fix before I took delivery (a tweeter was not working, rim rash (admittedly not something they might offer to fix without asking), broken cup holders (e39 BMW- cup holders are pure crap), and new button panel for the HVAC). I wouldn't expect porsche to do anything but the bare minimum on the inspection, and I'd assume it's up to the buyer to tell them what to fix....it shouldn't be this way, but that's the way I believe it is (in almost all cases).

The CPO worksheets they gave me for the BMWs were BS- I think a line was drawn vertically down the list as "checked". If they had checked the stereo, why didn't they notice a speaker was out? Why was hardware good with broken cup holders sticking out?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
That's exactly what I told them, but hey, who am I to argue with those who will ultimately decide the fate of my car.
Perhaps, but the fate of your Cayenne is very different from the theory of opreration of your Cayenne.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:25 PM
schred
Racer

We all know that the CPO is indeed only about the warranty and the whole warm fuzzy story that they tell us about how the dealer goes through the car to assure that it measures up to this standard is BS. But I am still glad I bought the Pepper with the CPO. In the past I never cared to pay the extra dollars for this. I am not however going to let these glitches ruin my feelings for the car, as I know these bugs will get worked out and I will put many happy miles on this thing. Thanks again for all the tech help and suggestions. My letter to the dealer of items is ready to go for tommorrow and I hope that I at least get a newer Cayeene as a loaner!! Maybe not as It might make me want to trade up to soon.
FS

Quick Reply: Minor Dissapointment