Sponsored by:

PHC unavailable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:11 AM
droptop
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PHC unavailable?

have been getting a PHC unavailable warning the last couple of times i have started up. any thoughts before i take it to the dealership?

DT
Old 08-02-2006, 02:39 PM
turbo187
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's happened to me while I am driving! It'll go away for me if i restart the car. When i took it to the dealership, they didn't even know what it meant!
Old 08-08-2006, 10:46 AM
droptop
Pro

well, mine has been accompanied with "clunking" as i slow down, feels like the torque converter is still partially locked up as the transmission downshifts (have no idea if that even relates to this tranny, putting it in GM terms), one "clunk" was so bad i thought i had been rear-ended. have had it to two dealers now, they have both reset the electronics ("don't know nuthin about the black box, so that MUST be it"), and said to try it again. after the last reset, the PHC warning keeps coming on. i am about to get irritated about it.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:25 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Since my manual is out in the garage, and not near my trusty computer, what does PHC stand for??
Old 08-10-2006, 02:09 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Originally Posted by droptop
well, mine has been accompanied with "clunking" as i slow down, feels like the torque converter is still partially locked up as the transmission downshifts (have no idea if that even relates to this tranny, putting it in GM terms), one "clunk" was so bad i thought i had been rear-ended. have had it to two dealers now, they have both reset the electronics ("don't know nuthin about the black box, so that MUST be it"), and said to try it again. after the last reset, the PHC warning keeps coming on. i am about to get irritated about it.
See previous posts by both EnigmaWmn and myself about transmission clunking. In both cases, the dealer replaced the TCU (not just reprogrammed it, REPLACED it). In my case, that seems to have corrected the problem--for now anyway. In her case, the vehicle is still in the shop undergoing the repair as we speak. BTW, mine is a V6, hers a V8, so it does not appear to be at all related to the rest of the drivetrain.

Hope that fixes it for her and you, too...
Old 08-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Since my manual is out in the garage, and not near my trusty computer, what does PHC stand for??
Porsche Hill Control. The hill-holder function on Tiptronic S (or Porsche Drive-Off Assistant on vehicles with manual transmission) allows the driver to stop on a hill and drive off again without having to operate the brakes. It also enables a steady slow descent down steep slopes or icy mountain roads at speeds of up to 20 km/h (12.5 mph) using engine braking. This is provided by the engine drag-torque control (EDTC) system, which prevents wheel lock-up on overrun or following downshifts on low-grip surfaces. Selective braking is applied to individual wheels resulting in a considerable increase in steering precision.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:55 PM
droptop
Pro

well, i dropped my car off at the oklahoma city porsche dealership, and rented a car to continue my trip in the continuing saga of "trying to get my transmission fixed". i dropped it off tuesday and called today (friday) to find out how it was doing. was told it was done. asked what was wrong, and was told the 40k service was performed, the tires were rotated, that PHC unavailable is not an existing error code on the cayenne and that they were unable to replicate my problem with the clunk/thud.

it will go back in wed with the lemon law letter. is there a place in the midwest that can actually work on these cars??? the fact that the service MANAGER told me the error didn't exist (i imagined it? along with the definition in the owners manual??) points out that the OKC dealer service department couldn't find it's third point of contact with both manipulative appendages and an illumination instrument.

trying to find my blood pressure meds,

DT
Old 08-25-2006, 09:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Perhaps he was trying to say that there was no logging of PHC errors accessible via PIWIS. There are many MFC display warnings/errors that are not stored/logged in the vehicle.

Lemon law paperwork, huh......
Old 08-25-2006, 10:49 PM
droptop
Pro

nope, english is my first language. he said (to nearly quote, wish i had recorded it) "PHC is only on manual transmission cars, it doesn't even exist on the automatics."

i hate knowing more about the bloody cars than the folks who are servicing them.

DT

ps, don't bother to say it. i KNOW you told me so.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:56 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there is a bulletion on clunking on decel as you come to a stop, i dont remember the number offhand search for clunck should find it.

as far as phc, i have never seen any display on the dash or on the piwis, but it really sounds like a coding issue (programing) thats the first thing i would check.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:01 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fwiw,

The PHC not only works off road... but on the street you can stop at a traffic signal (uphill) and remove your foot from the brake (no rolling back) Very cool.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:08 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by droptop
ps, don't bother to say it. i KNOW you told me so.
Are you referring to me or Larry.......did we tell you something
Old 08-26-2006, 10:29 PM
droptop
Pro

itc, was refering to you, something about purple koolaid when i mentioned 200k. <G>

the conversation with the service manager monday should be interesting. as this broke it over into lemon law territory, hopefully the letter will get SOMEONE's attention. i like the vehicle, would hate to have to give it back, but they bloody well should fix the transmission too.

DT

ps, mine fell outside of the serial numbers for the TSB for the TCU replacement, but i suspect that is what the problem is.

pps, this was the third time on the transmission, the other two dealers could duplicate it, but just reset the computer to zero. this is 5 times total for various things which also breaks the lemon law (arkansas actually has a pretty good one). i suspect the fact that they are denying that a error enunciator actually exists probably would not weigh in well. the trick will be having a third party expert document the problem for the hearing, in which case them denying that they could find a problem will not work. of course, my HOPE, is that porsche will send/instruct someone too fix the problem.

but this isn't my first rodeo, i had audi take an A6 back a few years ago. it's one of the reasons i will only buy new now, because i know if you have too many problems it is possible to get them to take it back. problem is, i LIKE the cayenne....
Old 08-26-2006, 10:32 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its not really a lemon law situation if it cannot be dupluicated, at least that is my understanding, it takes 3 attempts to repair a verifed problem.................check your state laws though
Old 08-26-2006, 11:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

DT,
I have "HEARD".....disclaimer: of course, I have NO practical experience in these matters, that PCNA will drag it out and not immediately do the right thing (take the vehicle back).
I have "HEARD" that they will exhaust all other options, drag it out, and eventually agree to take it back.
I have "HEARD" that even once you get there, you will deal with 'depreciation' for use/mileage/age; you won't be offered purchase price.
Did I already state the disclaimer that I have NO practical experience in these matters.....good.

Huh, you LIKE the Cayenne.....OK.

Quick Reply: PHC unavailable?