Sponsored by:

Daily Driver SUV Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:53 PM
GS Lee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daily Driver SUV Recommendations

Embarrassed to admit it, but made the mistake of purchasing a new BMW X54.6is back in '02 and it's been a nightmare with one repair after another as I piled the miles on using it as my company vehicle.

I'm a Porsche guy from way back and still own a 97 993 Cabriolet I purchased new and will probably never part with.

I searched the archives, but still need guidance and recommendations as to which Cayenne year and model to purchase pre owned for use as a daily driver with performance valued over comfort.

Also what problems or recalls have come about so far.

Any input will be a help.

Thanks,
Old 06-07-2006, 02:28 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Earlier-- '03 and '04 models had lots of little problems, well chronicled on this board. There seem to be very few complaints about the '05 and '06 models. I have an '06 CS with 16K miles and it has been bulletproof.

I'd pass on the base model because, to me, it is underpowered.

I think the CS performs very well, especially for an SUV. Prior car was an X5 4.4, and the CS is better, especially if you want a sporty feel (as opposed to a sedan-like feel).

Looking back, I am a little regretful that I didn't go for the CTT, but realistically, where I drive (and for daily driver purposes) the CS has plenty of boost.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rome
Earlier-- '03 and '04 models had lots of little problems, well chronicled on this board..
Well put.

Originally Posted by rome
There seem to be very few complaints about the '05 and '06 models.
Agreed.

If you are considering a pre-owned Cayenne (and I won't ask why), I would suggest considering only the CPO vehicles.....I don't think you want to start out naked.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:53 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

GS LEE: Check out this link--

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=34752

See alfie's post-- Looks like they have lots of inventory of new '06's and it's summer time. Don't know how much you are willing to spend, but you may just be able to get a really good deal on a new one. When the '06 CS's came out, there were people reporting discounts on the left over '05's of more than $10K, which if true, is a lot of bang for the buck.

Last edited by rome; 06-07-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:16 AM
GS Lee
Intermediate

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:03 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

I guess I'd like to echo this question as well. Looking for a daily driver for wife and the baby. Is the Cayenne practical as a daily driver and would it be too rough around the edges (suspension wise)? Also, is the facelift due in '07 and how much will change?
Old 06-15-2006, 06:26 PM
VinceV
4th Gear

I have no experience with the daily driving of a Cayenne. I guess it would depend on what you are coming from. I myself have always had American trucks/SUV. I would think that the Cayenne would be a huge improvement in everyday driving for me. They have felt way more responsice and planted on the test drives. For the facelift, I am just waiting for it till I order mine. I have heard expect them in Sept. of 07 to Febuary of 07, so in other words everything from 15 month to 8 months. Some claim just a little front update with headlamps and intakes and rear taillights and apron. To interior updates and horsepower boost for all models, as oppsosed to just the V6. I know that is not very specific, but so far that is what's out there as far as info. Have also heard there will be no 07 year just straight to 08.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:17 PM
charlieXS
Pro

I drive my V6 every day... and the ride is QUITE nice, even with steel suspension. I test drove X5, ML, X3, FX35 and Touareg. The ride is firmer than the ML and the Touareg. The ML leans a LOT more than the Cayenne, in fact on the "rapid" test drive sans car salesman... my wife felt a bit carsick. It's pretty "floaty". IMHO, the Cayenne feels MOST similar to an X3, just BIGGER. Your X5 has a similar ride firmness... but I think the Cayenne "feels" lighter on its' feet, more like an X3.
Now if you get PASM, the AIR suspension... you get REALLY nice ride quality.

Oh and YES the V6 is frustrating to drive if you have the gofast "bug".
Old 06-15-2006, 08:19 PM
charlieXS
Pro

Originally Posted by CAA
I guess I'd like to echo this question as well. Looking for a daily driver for wife and the baby. Is the Cayenne practical as a daily driver and would it be too rough around the edges (suspension wise)? Also, is the facelift due in '07 and how much will change?
Oh and the ride is much more PLUSH with the 17" and 18" tires... the 08 model has revised headlights, front grill and different taillights and lower rear valance. I think it's a mild makeover, ala 996>997.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also drive a V6, except for days when I feel the need for speed (at least once a week) when I drive my multi-role street/track car Around town, IMO there is really not much difference between V6 and V8...slightly better fuel economy with V6 (maybe 2mpg), and much better stoplight to stoplight drag race times with the V8.

I drove an X5 3.0 with sport suspension and 20-inch 4.6is wheels for two years before getting the Cayenne. I put 20-inch wheels on my Cayenne, and much prefer the ride and handling of the Porsche.

BTW, what year was your 4.6is? Much like early teething problems with the '03-04 Peppers, the '00-'02 X5s had lots of issues, as did the early 4.6is (don't remember what year BMW intro'd that model though).

Good luck...
Old 06-16-2006, 08:58 AM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

Thanks to all for the replies - I think I may wait for the restyle and get something else in the interim. A little digging came up with this link:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...178.A9916.html

Quick Reply: Daily Driver SUV Recommendations