Sponsored by:

!!! Attention ... opinions on warranties

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 06:48 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!! Attention ... opinions on warranties

Well I'm warranty shopping before 50K. I went to three Dealers and each had a different company. WTF.

Here are the companies - Has anyone had claims experience with any of them.

1. MPP Co.Inc

2. SGI Services

3. JM&A Group.

It appears that these companies are agents for insurances companies (whom I do not know)

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 05-03-2006, 10:57 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Torags
Well I'm warranty shopping before 50K. I went to three Dealers and each had a different company. WTF.
Here are the companies - Has anyone had claims experience with any of them.
1. MPP Co.Inc
2. SGI Services
3. JM&A Group.

It appears that these companies are agents for insurances companies (whom I do not know) Any help would be appreciated Thanks
Once you go naked .. you never go back.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:09 PM
TimC.
Racer

Thats all fine and great, but did you mention that you wanted to insure a CAYENNE????
Old 05-04-2006, 12:00 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TimC.
Thats all fine and great, but did you mention that you wanted to insure a CAYENNE????
Actually, the insurance rates on Cayennes are pretty reasonable ... now, extended warranties? I predict he'll find them outrageous (because they included dealer commission) and with lots of caveats and a deductible. READ THE FINE PRINT. The one GOOD thing about buying through the dealer is that you can STICK it to them if the company fails.. but, I'd add that in writing to your agreement that if the company fails that the dealer must find a replacement company at NO CHARGE or GO NAKED THEMSELVES>>>>> HA HA HA
Old 05-04-2006, 12:06 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

I went for the JM&A warranty aka Fidelity based in Florida. As I recall, my policy cost about $2,700 for 7 years, 70Kmi with $100 ded, platinum (comprehensive) for my 2004 Turbo. What I like about this policy is that the clock (7 years) starts on Jan 1 of the model year -- in my case Jan 1, 2004, even though I took delivery in April of the previous year. As far as price is concerned, you may be able to negotiate a lower price than initially quoted. Before purchasing the warranty, I spoke to the service manager at the dealership to assess his experience for claims processing, and he was quite positive. As I recall, my policy wants me to take the vehicle to the same dealership that sold me the warranty for claims service, but if you move, they will refer you to another dealership close to you. I purchased mine from Stevens Creek Porsche in San Jose.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:40 PM
hamiam
Instructor

I would suggest you find out who is writing the actual policy. If you are buying it thru a dealer who is going thru another middleman you are paying out quite alot in commissions to both of those people. (Extended warranties are a big profit center for car dealers.) You also want to know the credit rating of the underwriter as I understand that one of these companies recently went belly-up.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:10 AM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by hamiam
I would suggest you find out who is writing the actual policy. If you are buying it thru a dealer who is going thru another middleman you are paying out quite alot in commissions to both of those people. (Extended warranties are a big profit center for car dealers.) You also want to know the credit rating of the underwriter as I understand that one of these companies recently went belly-up.
In California, warranties are heavily regulated, which is probably a good thing given the number of company failures where the policy holder is left high and dry. It is my understandidng that in this state that you must buy these warranties from a dealer. As you mention, it is good to check out the company as best as you can; I checked the California Government web site to validate the license status of the company that I chose.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by philg3
I went for the JM&A warranty aka Fidelity based in Florida. As I recall, my policy cost about $2,700 for 7 years, 70Kmi with $100 ded, platinum (comprehensive) for my 2004 Turbo. What I like about this policy is that the clock (7 years) starts on Jan 1 of the model year -- in my case Jan 1, 2004, even though I took delivery in April of the previous year. As far as price is concerned, you may be able to negotiate a lower price than initially quoted. Before purchasing the warranty, I spoke to the service manager at the dealership to assess his experience for claims processing, and he was quite positive. As I recall, my policy wants me to take the vehicle to the same dealership that sold me the warranty for claims service, but if you move, they will refer you to another dealership close to you. I purchased mine from Stevens Creek Porsche in San Jose.
This is what I got:

1. MPP Co.Inc (Michaels - Fresno) 6 yr/100K,0 Ded = $3,820

2. SGI Services (Carlsen - Redwood City) 4yr/100K. Ded $200 = $4329

3. JM&A Group. (Rector - Burlingame) 6 yr/100K, no ded on Rector Serv, $3695

These were all top of the line plans. I've got a few months since I'm trying to use my car less ($75 fill sobered me up)

Quick Reply: !!! Attention ... opinions on warranties