Sponsored by:

ECU upgrads

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 12:12 PM
JoJocayenneturbo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile ECU upgrads

Hello everyone, I am new to Rennlist and I'm hoping I could get some advice. I just picked up a 2004 CTT. I love this car!! I am planning on a few upgrades, Fabspeed Cat bypass, Wheels and ECU. I've been reading the threads and I'm not sure what direction to take. Do I use the ECU in the Cayenne and have it reprogamed? Do I buy a new one and have that one reprogramed? What model do I buy: GIAC, Revo, Upsolute, Powerchip. I have 30k on the car and one year left on the warrenty. Can I switch ECU's when I need the Cayenne serviced? Thanks for you help.
Old 04-08-2006, 06:44 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome JoJocayenneturbo. I had some of the same quesions you pose.
I just had the Fabspeed pipes put on and a set of Evolution diverter valves. This very minor change made a modest but notceable diference in sound and performance. So I can highly recommend them. As far as a DME flash is concerned - I am stuck between GIAC and Revo. And I am leaning toward GIAC because it seems that everyone who has used this tuning has been pleased, whereas I haven't heard as much feedback from Revo users. Revo claims a more significant HP increase (530HP) than GIAC. Air intakes, like the soon to be released EVo-V-Flows seem to be promising and that is what will go in my truck when they come out in May. They will prove to give an increase in HP moreso than just upgrading the stock filters to BMC or K&N.
As to whether or not to use your original DME or have a new one intsalled so as to modify it - I had a new DME installed upon the recommendation of my dealer ($770.00 installed). They claimed that then if any major issues came up with the car which required reading of the DME, the original could be replaced and "modification" would be unreadable by PIWIS. All I can do is trust their advice. You can get the DME swapped when you bring the car in for service provided you have a "mod friendly" dealer. Check around not all are so be careful. Did they want to make more profit and could I have just gotten a handheld flashloader and switched the DME programming from "performance" back to "stock" - perhaps. But I do know that tampering, even with the DME switched back to stock program is still detectable by PIWIS from other threads that I have read.

Wheels - what size were you looking for? 20's 22's?
I just got a set of 22's and I couldn't be more pleased with how they fill out the wheel well and how they look and feel. No vibration issues, no faults in the car's system. You have many choices here. it is also a frequent topic of discussion. You have to decide on size first.

Happy mod shopping.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:48 PM
JoJocayenneturbo
Intermediate

Thanks, thats great information. Where did you get your evolution diverter valves? That sounds like another option also. I will look into the GIAC and ask my local dealer and find out how "mod" friendly they are. I am looking a 22' wheels, I've found a few on Ebay and some other web pages. Can I hook up the tire sensors on aftermarket rims? Or do I need to turn off the sensors on the computer. Thanks for your help, buy the way I just G-teched my CTT in stock form and ran a 13.71 at 105 mph. "5.0" 0 to 60.

JoJo
Old 04-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Kooser
Pro

As far as the blow off valves and some other goodies - http://www.evoms.com/Cayenne%20TT%20main.htm
I do not have the TPSM so I purchased tires without this option. as far as I know you should still be able to utilze this with non OEM wheel/tire combinations -but I can't say for sure so I hope someone else will pick up on this for you.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Kooser
Pro

Originally Posted by JoJocayenneturbo
buy the way I just G-teched my CTT in stock form and ran a 13.71 at 105 mph. "5.0" 0 to 60.

JoJo
Sweet run. I am curious what your numbers will be post mods!
This kind of info is great to have posted, as well as dyno runs, like Alex911s posted - which will all numerically demonstrate the "non-futility" of dumping even more money into these beasts
Old 04-09-2006, 03:53 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

You should be able to get the TPMS sensors from dealer or Tirerack.com and install them on your new rims. I did the latter when I bought 18" rims on ebay.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:47 PM
JoJocayenneturbo
Intermediate

Thanks, The G-tech runs were a lot of fun. That web page Evolution is great, Lots of great stuff to get me introuble with my wife and wallet. Quick question, Can I buy the GIAC and change it back and forth for performance and stock. This way when the truck goes in for warrently work the computer will show no changes to the DME? I can ask the guys at Evolution also.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Kooser
Pro

Originally Posted by JoJocayenneturbo
Thanks, The G-tech runs were a lot of fun. That web page Evolution is great, Lots of great stuff to get me introuble with my wife and wallet. Quick question, Can I buy the GIAC and change it back and forth for performance and stock. This way when the truck goes in for warrently work the computer will show no changes to the DME? I can ask the guys at Evolution also.
Yes, just purchase the handheld flash loader for $150. Alex911s had his CTT in for some engine trouble and switched it back and forth without a hitch.
Changes are always detectable - it just depends how hard they want to look and how much they want to know!
That is why a "mod friendly" service manager is much needed and appreciated.
Old 04-10-2006, 04:11 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey guys,

Sorry just saw this..LOL I agree with Kooser, you can switch it back to stock, but it's better to have the good ol service connection before I sold my CTT, i had it flashed back to stock, that way they wont see it at all, and the new owner wont be swearing my name in case he gets in trouble,LOL.. good thing with GIAC was they gave me a credit for my flash.. i just need to buy another turbo I'm still trying to find out if it's transferable so i can sell it to one of you guys for a cheaper price, dont think i would feel the difference if I flash my Q7,LOL
Old 04-10-2006, 07:36 PM
JoJocayenneturbo
Intermediate

Smile

That sounds great alex I've decieded to go with GIAC, because of the ability to change back and forth from stock to Race. I hope to be fashing within the next month or so. Good luck with your next turbo!!

P.S. how do you add your current cars list to your emails?
Old 04-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Kooser
Pro

I am gooing for the GIAC tuning on Wednesday afternoon. I will have to let you know how it feels post change. Unfortunately I will be driving back in the middle of rush hour from the performance shop and I will be very tempted to push the pedal and I won't be able to. So maybe I also need to purchase a roof mounted siren and pose as 5-0 to drive on the shoulder at blinding speeds!
Old 04-10-2006, 11:37 PM
JoJocayenneturbo
Intermediate

Let me know as soon as you are able to make a couple of passes!! I can't wait to here how it performs.

Quick Reply: ECU upgrads