Sponsored by:

CPO vs non-CPO

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 01:06 PM
curveraider
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO vs non-CPO

What do you guys think about non-CPO cars from Porsche dealers? I have found a '05 with fairly low miles and all of the options that I am looking for, but it is not a CPO. I assume that means that I can not extend the warranty to the 100k point either. I do plan to tow with it so I feel like I should hold out for a CPO and get the 100k coverage. I would appreciate any feed back

Thanks,
Old 03-24-2006, 01:08 PM
eugkim
Rennlist Member

If buying from a Porsche dealer, they will certify for between 1500-2000.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:08 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do not buy a car from a dealer without the CPO.

If they can't do it, there has to be a reason, and that should be your reason to walk.

It should be the last step in your deal...."OK, I'll take it provided you throw in the CPO"
Old 03-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CPO well worth the cost. My dealer charged $1700 and that seemed like a minimal amount of money for a tremendous amount of peace of mind for me. I have another 4.5 years and/or 78,000k left. Smaller epairs out of warranty can easily exceed this up front cost. Dealer should be able to certify the car if you are buying it from them and if it did not pass hands in between not, then something is wrong with it.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:53 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Hey Arlen,

What dealership? they could certify it for you, do it...well worth it, i agree with everyone
Old 03-24-2006, 04:24 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also,

Be sure to get a computer printout (DME) of the car. That is the only way to protect yourself (baseline) from previously chipped cars, that have been "overlooked" and certified by some dealers.

If a problem arises you will need proof that there was not a pre-existing condition. Make them prove to you that the car was not chipped.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Arlen,
Owning a Cayenne 'naked' (post warranty) will get you committed to the 'vacation villa'...and since my "divorce" from the Cayenne and subsequent release/discharge, there IS an available bed.

You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Cayenne....they're not exactly produced in limited quantities. I can't imagine you couldn't find a new one (05 or 06) at a good price or at least one that is CPO....sales #'s for the Cayenne are way off.

The fact that the dealer won't CPO it, as mentioned, activates my BS meter (still highly calibrated....the Cayenne hasn't been gone THAT long)......and we all know about the longevity of aftermarket warranty companies (no names, please).

I agree with Colm... if it's the exact Cayenne you want, have them CPO the car...or have them tell you why they won't.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:39 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

..usually dealer refuses to certify a car, if he knows, that car has accident history/ major "paint work" or excess wear SIMILAR to the possibilities listed above...

...if he doesn't certify the car, that's a pretty good indicator for you to WALK away FAST...

OZRacing
Old 03-24-2006, 08:01 PM
curveraider
Racer

Hello current and past inmate of the Cayenne order,

Yes I am concerned about going naked on the car as all of the past post I have read have lead me to drink kool-aide.

Actually there are 2 different CS's at 2 different dealers. The first is at Maplewood Imports in MN. Yes, I am in California, but it is a '05 is PASM, heated seats Bi-xenons and the tow package. It does not have NAV, but I really don't want it because I think there are many aftermarket solutions that are very good. This truck is below $50k asking and has 11k miles. I am a little worried by the fact that they are real agressive on the price, the CS is fairly new, with low miles but no CPO. I have asked them about getting it certified and they have not gotten back to me... However, JimB on the 993 board, who is in MN and knows a few guys at Maplewood has stepped up and is going to find out the real story on this truck.

The second naked CS is at Sonnen Porsche here in California. This one is $6k more the one in MN and is a '04 and has twice the milage. Although the pricing is higher, it seems to be more in line with other PASM CS's that I have seen. At least this one I can drive by and look at myself. The only problem is that this one does not have the tow package and it does have NAV. I can live with the stock NAV, as long as they give me the latest CD's that I have recently read about on this board.

Anybody have any dealings with either of these dealers?

Thanks again guys,
Old 03-24-2006, 08:28 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by curveraider
Hello current and past inmate of the Cayenne order,.
Hello.....I seem to prefer 'Cayenne Survivor'........

Yes I am concerned about going naked on the car as all of the past post I have read have lead me to drink kool-aid.
OK, good. The first step is facing your fear. I was butt naked (but I do have the figure for it) for 13K miles (63K miles when the Cayenne was 'abandoned').....everytime you turned the key, it was like pulling the handle on a slot machine....or as Forrest Gump would say:
"Naked Cayenne ownership is like a box of chocolates...you never know what error message or component failure you're gonna get"......very wise man.

..... It does not have NAV, but I really don't want it because I think there are many aftermarket solutions that are very good..
Please remember that your Cayenne (and all MY03+ Porsches) infotainment system is MOST (plastic fiber optic based). Removing the CDR23 or PCM2 (and the amplifier) will disable your steering wheel controls, along with other minor functions (alarm LED, etc). An aftermarket solution is a bit of a larger project than just the headunit......

....The only problem is that this one does not have the tow package.
You CAN install an OEM 1D6/1D8 tow package on the Cayenne (I can't believe I just typed those words.....), thus giving you that option on this vehicle. The dealer can do it for a reduced/negotiated price.
I'll skip the part of asking you what you're going to be towing.......better off that way I think.

....and it does have NAV. I can live with the stock NAV, as long as they give me the latest CD's that I have recently read about on this board.
Please see the Thread at the top of the forum regarding the differences between updates for CD NAV vs DVD NAV.

As I mentioned, Cayenne sales are very soft at the moment, and the current model will soften up a bit more when the facelift is revealed.....so keep looking around. PASM and an S is still not the typical S configuration.
(Personally, I'm not really a fan of it....if I were ever given electric shock and in the market for a Cayenne again, I would prefer the 'new' Cayenne slated for 2010)
Old 03-24-2006, 09:01 PM
Kooser
Pro

Originally Posted by Colm
Also,

Be sure to get a computer printout (DME) of the car. That is the only way to protect yourself (baseline) from previously chipped cars, that have been "overlooked" and certified by some dealers.

If a problem arises you will need proof that there was not a pre-existing condition. Make them prove to you that the car was not chipped.
Not necessarily true here. If the previous owner purchased a second DME (which some do) and keep the original and mod the second one and drive like a bat out of hell on it, then when they turn the car in replace the original DME - then there is NO evidence that PIWIS can detect that any tampering has been done. The dealer reinstalls the original DME and does so properly to avoid any PIWIS error codes.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:05 PM
Kooser
Pro

Hello current and past inmate of the Cayenne order,

Yes I am concerned about going naked on the car as all of the past post I have read have lead me to drink kool-aide.

Actually there are 2 different CS's at 2 different dealers. The first is at Maplewood Imports in MN. Yes, I am in California, but it is a '05 is PASM, heated seats Bi-xenons and the tow package. It does not have NAV, but I really don't want it because I think there are many aftermarket solutions that are very good. This truck is below $50k asking and has 11k miles. I am a little worried by the fact that they are real agressive on the price, the CS is fairly new, with low miles but no CPO. I have asked them about getting it certified and they have not gotten back to me... However, JimB on the 993 board, who is in MN and knows a few guys at Maplewood has stepped up and is going to find out the real story on this truck.

The second naked CS is at Sonnen Porsche here in California. This one is $6k more the one in MN and is a '04 and has twice the milage. Although the pricing is higher, it seems to be more in line with other PASM CS's that I have seen. At least this one I can drive by and look at myself. The only problem is that this one does not have the tow package and it does have NAV. I can live with the stock NAV, as long as they give me the latest CD's that I have recently read about on this board.

Anybody have any dealings with either of these dealers?

Thanks again guys,
You gotta go for the '05 - less cost (with tow pkg. and you said the nav issue is a non-isssue), plus less miles = better deal. I agree with above comment that you should negotiate the deal and then say that you'll take the car if they CPO it. See if they will trow it in the deal or give you a decent price on it. Or did I read you post incorrectly and you are saying that the dealerships WON'T certify it?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:05 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Arlen is that the silver one?
Toni Villa is not there anymore she moved to Monterey Porsche did you go straight to
the GM? Let me call someone for you...
Old 03-24-2006, 09:18 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

They can always tell if the car has been chipped, but they won't necessarily tell how they know.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:48 PM
curveraider
Racer

Hold up, did I read this right... ltc if the car does NOT have NAV, and I pull the head unit and install an aftermarket NAV/stereo system I am going to have problems?

Neither of the dealers have said that "won't" CPO yet... The guys in MN just have not responded to my question about the history of the CS... this maybe a bad sign, but the price is right, and I have not spoken to the Sonnen guys yet.

I know that prices are getting softer by the day. But my wife really wants her own Porsche and with 2 kids under the age of 5, there really is no other option. I have actually been holding her at bay for nearly 2 years. I really don't think that I can last much longer.

Alex, yes it is the silver one... do you know something about this one? Should I be scared? I am actually thinking about driving up on Sunday to take a look at it. Let me know if there is a sales person in particular you think I should talk too.

Regarding the towing issue... I hope to be towing a 944 Spec car in the near future.

Thanks again guys,

Quick Reply: CPO vs non-CPO