Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 10:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Kooser
.....- then there is NO evidence that PIWIS can detect that any tampering has been done. The dealer reinstalls the original DME and does so properly to avoid any PIWIS error codes.
I agree with Colm.....you'd be surprised what PIWIS and the DME talk about when you're not around........you can detect a DME swap.

On a somewhat related note......
In order to mitigate MOST infotainment device theft, some manufacturers (no names) install S/W theft protection.
So, "remove" a MOST device from a "donor vehicle", thinking you are all set....and voila! Once the device powers up, if you don't access the correct location in memory and set the appropriate bit(s), after a certain number of power cycles, the unit will 'lock itself out'....thus preventing itself from working.

These vehicles are full of little electronic easter eggs.....and no, you don't want to know about 'black box funcionality' either.....
Old 03-24-2006, 10:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by curveraider
Hold up, did I read this right... ltc if the car does NOT have NAV, and I pull the head unit and install an aftermarket NAV/stereo system I am going to have problems?
To quote former President Bill Clinton.... "It all depends on what your definition of is is"

Apart from the obvious issue of voiding your warranty, removing the headunit will leave your steering wheel controls inoperative, you will not display headunit/radio/song information on the dashboard MFD, and you will lose your Alarm LED programming functionality, your ability to map for left and right side audio settings (not really a big issue) and some other misc items.
If you search rennlist, you will find people in the forums (996, 996TT, Cayenne, who have installed aftermarket audio systems.

I know that prices are getting softer by the day. But my wife really wants her own Porsche and with 2 kids under the age of 5, there really is no other option. I have actually been holding her at bay for nearly 2 years. I really don't think that I can last much longer..
Hmmmn, delicate situation here.
At first, my wife actually liked the Cayenne. Sporty (compared to a 7800# Excursion diesel anyways), comfortable, good brakes, towing capable.
Towards the end, she wouldn't drive it at night and kept track of how many times it had been in the shop for repairs.....there were some other words used to describe the Cayenne...not really suitable for publishing....I"ll blush if I type them.
In the end, the Cayenne 'disappeared, the Excursion became the official tow vehicle and she got a 968 Cabriolet for a summer fun car.....all thanks to less than 2 years of Cayenne ownership.
Translated: Buy the most recent Cayenne you can.....you don't want to relive some of the nightmares of the 03/04's.....but then again, if you buy a recent Cayenne, you won't be able to get your very own 'Cowboy Belt Buckles'.....

Regarding the towing issue... I hope to be towing a 944 Spec car in the near future.
Please tell me the next words out will be 'open trailer' and 'incandescent lighting' and not 'LED' and/or 'enclosed car hauler'
Old 03-24-2006, 10:27 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,050 Posts

... But my wife really wants her own Porsche and with 2 kids under the age of 5, there really is no other option.
Ok. I cannot resist. There is another option. And the seats are perfect for children until they get to about 4 and a half feet. Of course, this option is just on the other side of the road from the Cayenne's pasture on the Porsche Funny Farm.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2006, 10:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

One of the true classics in Porsche interior design.....which BTW is the basis for most of the Panamera interior design studies.....928 to 989 to Panamera.....sometimes you just have to wait long enough.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:27 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
One of the true classics in Porsche interior design...
Thank you Lewis. Of course, on the 928 side of the forum we don't even bother using water with our Kool-Aid; we just main line the stuff - having been abandoned by Porsche even before the last GTS rolled off the line.

Back to the seats, they are (apparently) very comfortable rear seats. I've had (short) adults in the back for 6+ hour trips without complaints. The shape, bucket depth of the rear seat and center console, coupled with the three point belt will hold a small child through a short adult very securely.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:52 AM
curveraider
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a small child those "belt buckles" can double as a bullet proof vest... therefore safer! Yeh thats it!

A 928 would be great so I could get my wife to the autox and maybe on the track. But then I would need a really big truck for towing.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:43 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Alex, yes it is the silver one... do you know something about this one? Should I be scared? I am actually thinking about driving up on Sunday to take a look at it. Let me know if there is a sales person in particular you think I should talk too.

Regarding the towing issue... I hope to be towing a 944 Spec car in the near future.

Thanks again guys,
I looked around fo ran S with PASM before I decided i'd go to the Q7..
I saw this one, but then I found out Toni wasnt there anymore.. I still know Stephen there and the other sales manager.. i'll call them for you.. No the car is fine, i didnt test drive though, but I bought my turbo from there and theyre pretty honest guys..let's see if toni still have a pull
Old 03-25-2006, 09:06 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

A 928 would be great so I could get my wife to the autox and maybe on the track. But then I would need a really big truck for towing.
A Cayenne with an open aluminum trailer (Trailex, Featherlite, etc) could tow a 928 with no problem.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:39 AM
Kooser
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by ltc
I agree with Colm.....you'd be surprised what PIWIS and the DME talk about when you're not around........you can detect a DME swap.

On a somewhat related note......
In order to mitigate MOST infotainment device theft, some manufacturers (no names) install S/W theft protection.
So, "remove" a MOST device from a "donor vehicle", thinking you are all set....and voila! Once the device powers up, if you don't access the correct location in memory and set the appropriate bit(s), after a certain number of power cycles, the unit will 'lock itself out'....thus preventing itself from working.

These vehicles are full of little electronic easter eggs.....and no, you don't want to know about 'black box funcionality' either.....
What if the correct location in memory is accesed properly and the appropriate bits are set correctly.....ha ha

Not pretending to know the inner workings of PIWIS but why do certain master technicians and service managers at certain dealerships absolutely positively guarantee that such a switch if done by them "properly" is undetectable??
Old 03-25-2006, 12:15 PM
Zin
Instructor

Hello current and past inmate of the Cayenne order,

Yes I am concerned about going naked on the car as all of the past post I have read have lead me to drink kool-aide.

Actually there are 2 different CS's at 2 different dealers. The first is at Maplewood Imports in MN. Yes, I am in California, but it is a '05 is PASM, heated seats Bi-xenons and the tow package. It does not have NAV, but I really don't want it because I think there are many aftermarket solutions that are very good. This truck is below $50k asking and has 11k miles. I am a little worried by the fact that they are real agressive on the price, the CS is fairly new, with low miles but no CPO. I have asked them about getting it certified and they have not gotten back to me... However, JimB on the 993 board, who is in MN and knows a few guys at Maplewood has stepped up and is going to find out the real story on this truck.

The second naked CS is at Sonnen Porsche here in California. This one is $6k more the one in MN and is a '04 and has twice the milage. Although the pricing is higher, it seems to be more in line with other PASM CS's that I have seen. At least this one I can drive by and look at myself. The only problem is that this one does not have the tow package and it does have NAV. I can live with the stock NAV, as long as they give me the latest CD's that I have recently read about on this board.

Anybody have any dealings with either of these dealers?

Thanks again guys,

I do, I actually bought my CS from Maplewood Imports and only live abut 10 minutes away! I like the dealership, had a great salesperson. Ask for George Andewig and let him know I sent you (Paul Zindrick..hence my name ZIN). He is a great guy and will bend over backwards to make you satisfied. If you like I too can take a look for you, just let me know. As a side note they had a super nice CTT a few weeks ago I was eyeing up. The 2004 CTT has 27500 miles,Nav,wood steering,park sensors and more.Listed at $74K.
You can contact George at gandeweg@hotmail.com or call him at 651-483-2681.
Good hunting!
Old 03-25-2006, 12:53 PM
curveraider
Racer

Alex, I appreciate the effort. When did you first here about this CS?

Lewis, yes I am thinking about an open trailex for the weight and I am sure that the CS will pull a single car and gear. But if my wife gets too involved and gets a 928 for track then I would have to tow 2 cars, her 928 and my spec 944 Maybe I just need jump straight to a diesel

Paul, thanks for the offer another Rennlist member is already doing some leg work for me. I love this forum
Old 03-25-2006, 01:08 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kooser
What if the correct location in memory is accesed properly and the appropriate bits are set correctly.....ha ha

Not pretending to know the inner workings of PIWIS but why do certain master technicians and service managers at certain dealerships absolutely positively guarantee that such a switch if done by them "properly" is undetectable??
Because they don't know the inner workings!

All OEM hardware that is software driven, has many levels of "protection" built-in by the original manufacturer (e.g. Bosch, Motorola and their suppliers) and end-user (Porsche in this case). If a part is tampered (removed, reinstalled, etc.) with, in any way, a record is created. that record may not be accesible to the Tech or Aftermarket installer ( who might not be as smart as they think), just because you don't see something it doesn't mean it's not there. If there is a reason (suspicion) to go looking, changes can be found .

The reason being:

When parts fail, or cause other failures, it's going to be someone's responsibility for damages, Often, given the potential for consequential damages on failures, i.e. a $100 part "blowing up" an engine, OEM manufacturers and their suppliers will install many levels of protection, from process controls to hidden monitoring, to be accessed in the event of a dispute, nobody wants (or can afford) to be left holding the bag.

Contrary to what you might think, the costs and risks of providing a defective product are too great. Testing is comprehensive, rigorous and nothing is left to chance, and even then stuff happens.

If you choose to believe some Master technician, or Aftermarket tuner, instead of believing an OEM automotive parts manufacturer.....well at that point you're just rationalizing.

I've said it many times before, mod if you want, but don't think you can mod, keep your warranty where the mods have the potential to impact it; and outsmart the Manufacturer and its Suppliers. Those who tell you any different that have only two purposes, 1) to deceive you and 2) to sell the particular mod.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:05 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

... if my wife gets too involved and gets a 928 for track then I would have to tow 2 cars, her 928 and my spec 944
Drive the 928 to the track. Heck the 928 is rated to tow 4500 pounds IIRC. What's the lightest open trailer you can get?

alex911s - Will the Q7 tow anything?
Old 03-27-2006, 02:41 PM
curveraider
Racer

hmmm... so get the 928 and tow the 944 with it. Niiiice, and I live close to DEVEK. But to be honest, I think the wife is still going to want the Cayenne.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:47 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

hey Arlen,

Saw this last night on Craiglist, 04 10K miles has everything,LOL not certified though but check it out nice color and fully loaded from one of the pics I think the park assist works really well, haha If Audi hasnt cashed my deposit I would've looked at this one,hehe
http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/car/145291912.html

Quick Reply: CPO vs non-CPO