Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am pissed! And a warning to you new Pepper owners.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 02:21 AM
Elton in SoCal
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MadFox
Hey Elton --- any more insight?
Wish I did. I am going to talk with a few people at my dealer to see if this is a fairly common occurence. Certainly your opinion expressed earlier may be 100% correct.

I have some comfort that I am not completely alone in this, although I am still shocked that the pads couldn't have been replaced at least once before new rotors are required. I wonder if PAG had used cross-drilled, we would still be having this discussion.

Do you fly one of those (avatar)?

Thanks for the opinion earlier.
Old 02-27-2006, 03:06 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't have to remove the wheels to check pad life. "35%" isn't a rock solid 35.0 +/- 0.5% figure based on a micrometer measurement, but an estimate based on the tech's eyes and experience.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:53 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
The easiest way is to head over to www.renntech.org
Become a contributing member (you can use PayPal):
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...nt&code=donate
then you will have access to TSB's (and other info) via the OnLine Docs pulldown menu at the top.
Much like rennlist, it's the best $40-$50 you will ever spend. Loren is a great guy.
actually you can sign up for free
Old 02-27-2006, 07:22 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
actually you can sign up for free
IIRC, if you are non ($) contributing member to renntech, you will only see a list of TSB's in the OnLineDocs menu; not the actual TSB contents (in pdf format)....
Old 02-27-2006, 07:37 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heard some issues about brakes on the cayenne and tires too...hope i dont experience this issue!
Old 02-27-2006, 08:43 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Based on previous posts there is a wide variance in the life of pads on the Cayenne. I don't regard myself as a heavy driver but I dont think its the weight of the foot, its more the type of commute you have.

Freeway commuters seem to get much longer life that urban/suburban commuters.

The Rotors are a dealer thing on most cars, I think because there is a view that the pads and the rotors bed together and need to be matched due to grooving.

A friend of mine's wife works in Philadelphia, a 16mile commute, she drives a Camry. No one thinks she is a fast driver but she goes through pads and rotors in less than 20K. Its normally 40K plus. I happen to be following her one day to a place she knew and I did not. She brakes 3 feet from every light, almost everytime we approached a light I thought we were going through and she would stop, I am amazed she has not taken one in the.....well you know what I mean.

My friend disputed this and thought I was lying as she does not drive like that when he's in the car, the only thing that saved our friendship was the dealer asking what the F she does with the car.

I got the pad warning light at 39K, the rotors were fine, smooth as a babies butt, but when I asked for a quote from the dealer they said pads and rotors must be changed.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:04 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Elton in SoCal
Certainly your opinion expressed earlier may be 100% correct.
Can I quote you to my wife?
I have some comfort that I am not completely alone in this,
Oh, this won't be the last time that you use that phrase in this forum!!
Do you fly one of those (avatar)?
Only in my dreams now. I am OLD. I fly Porsches now.

Let us know how it turns out. We care --- we may be smart asses but we care!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:06 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by MadFox
we may be smart asses but we care!
You've identified our two most endearing qualities.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:47 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the pad warning light at 39K, the rotors were fine, smooth as a babies butt, but when I asked for a quote from the dealer they said pads and rotors must be changed.[/QUOTE]

I think this is pretty much standard fare with the german companies now. We have 2 BMW's, and the dealer always says pads and rotors. Actually had one guy say it was because BMW wanted to have the highest performance by reducing unsprung weight, thus thinner rotors are used that can't/shouldn't be machined. I say B*$% Sh$(! It's a money maker, and nothing else.

By the way, I agree with the comments on pad usage vs. commute and style of driving, even if the driver isn't an aggessive driver. My wife's 325 got 30K on the pads/rotors, and I got 60K in my 540. I definitely drive faster than her, but my car is stick and a lot of my driving is highway. Plus, she doesn't drive quite as smoothly as me i.e. the camry applying the brakes 3 feet from the stop sign.

Speaking of Camry's, I notice an higher than average number of camry drivers apply the brakes at the last minute, and the suspension design is such that the *** of the car goes in the air! I hate driving behind them...don't know if it's the soft suspension design of the car, the drivers, or both! (nothing against camry drivers- probably the best car to drive on the road if you just want to get from point a to b)
Old 03-02-2006, 04:03 PM
T2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 48 Posts

FYI - even though the surface of the rotors was smooth there was probably a lip between the outside edge of the rotor and the pad/rotor interface (ie rotor material gone) hence the reason they are replacing the rotors (I am on my second set in the C-TT). As an FYI - I have a 2003 996TT with Generation 1 PCCB's and the rotors are the original set with 84,500+ miles on them and the second set of pads - no grooving on the rotors at all. This car is also driven in the city, on the highway and at DE's.......I wish they had this option for the C-TT also....however I can't disagree with your statement on the fact that they are trying to gouge us on just making us buy new rotors.....
Old 03-03-2006, 02:30 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also just had pads and rotors replaced at 20k miles in my '04 CT. Was not delighted, but 20k is about normal for me for pads. The rotors were a huge surprise, and an annoying bite to my wallet. My gut tells me I really didn't need them, but I wasn't there during the service, so who really knows for sure?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:04 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by k2kv
I also just had pads and rotors replaced at 20k miles in my '04 CT. Was not delighted, but 20k is about normal for me for pads. The rotors were a huge surprise, and an annoying bite to my wallet. My gut tells me I really didn't need them, but I wasn't there during the service, so who really knows for sure?
Originally Posted by wingless
The disc wear limits, for the S and Turbo are: 32 mm, front / 26 mm, rear and for the Cayenne are: 30 mm, front / 26 mm, rear.

This allows for only 2 mm of wear. These are the new dimensions, for the S and Turbo are: 34 mm, front / 28 mm, rear and for the Cayenne are: 32 mm, front / 28 mm, rear.

The maximum runout tolerance, for all models, is: 0.03 mm. The maximum thickness tolerance, for all models, is: 0.02 mm.

The pad wear limits, for all models, is: 2 mm.
The pad and disc wear limits are defined and may be measured.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:15 AM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Sorry to hear about your dealer experience.

I'm at 60K on original rotors....and I tow (yes, I used the "T" word...what next the "!") quite frequently.
I'm on my 2nd set of pads....first set was replaced at ~ 20K miles due to the 'squealing' problem that would not go away.
Perhaps brake wear is similar to tire wear...some Cayennes eat tires while others do not. I don't recall many people going thru a set of rotors so quickly.

Lewis did you have the rotors turned? or just repalced pads and left rotors alone?
Old 03-04-2006, 05:45 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin M.
Lewis did you have the rotors turned? or just repalced pads and left rotors alone?
Originally Posted by wingless
One interesting fact is that these rotors may not be refinished, except when new, go figure.
It is unlikely that the rotors were turned.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:01 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin M.
Pads replaced (under warranty for 'squealing') and rotors left alone @ 26,451 miles

955-351-939-12 Front Brake Pads
955-612-365-00 Warning Contact
955-352-939-01 Rear Brake Pads
955-612-365-30 Warning Contact

As an aside, it was at the same service they did the wiper blades under warranty:

955-628-039-00

(Just wanted to put the # down, in case anyone was going to contact Sunset Imports and get a cost + 15% price, as wiper blades were discussed recently)

Quick Reply: I am pissed! And a warning to you new Pepper owners.