Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am pissed! And a warning to you new Pepper owners.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 12:22 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Elton in SoCal
My wife drives the Pepper and she does not drive it hard.
Is it possible to apply the gas & brake at the same time in that thing? If so, I suspect she's a left-foot braker, and not in the same way as a Schumacher or Röhrl...
Old 03-04-2006, 01:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MetalSolid
Is it possible to apply the gas & brake at the same time in that thing? If so, I suspect she's a left-foot braker, and not in the same way as a Schumacher or Röhrl...
I wouldn't think so, as the Cayenne eGas system will cut throttle/ignition/fuel if it senses the gas (at a certain threshold) and brake (on/off) being applied at the same time.

Experiment: Cayenne in D (PSM on, full auto mode), left foot on brake, press gas with right foot.........

Extra Credit: Cayenne in Park, foot off brake, press accelerator to floor......huh, I guess the rev limiter does work at around 4000RPM.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Zin
Instructor

With all this talk, who HAS replaced their pads and rotors themselves? I could have sworn I heard that Mudman2 has?!?! Mike? I've done brakes on many vehicles. With the proper tools and a garage to work in it is not that hard! How difficult is it on this car? And if done at home how much $$ can be saved? Just curious....
Old 03-04-2006, 07:28 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You are correct Zin, I changed my pads a short while ago. I did buy the rotors but when I got the pads out the rotors were in good condition so I did not.

The job is very simple, 1 bolt, drift it out, replace the sensors, ease in the new one 1 piston at a time and your done. Time about 90 minutes beginning to end.

The rotors are held on with one bolt, it has a tamper proof head which will require a special socket. The calipers have 2 big bolts. Loren posted the torque settings on Renntech.

Pictures on my gallery.

Old 03-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Zin
Instructor

Originally Posted by mudman2
You are correct Zin, I changed my pads a short while ago. I did buy the rotors but when I got the pads out the rotors were in good condition so I did not.

The job is very simple, 1 bolt, drift it out, replace the sensors, ease in the new one 1 piston at a time and your done. Time about 90 minutes beginning to end.

The rotors are held on with one bolt, it has a tamper proof head which will require a special socket. The calipers have 2 big bolts. Loren posted the torque settings on Renntech.

Pictures on my gallery.

Mike,
A few points of clarification if you don't mind. I checked out your pic's, great job. Let me go in order:
  • Jack up car, remove wheel, etc
  • Remove ONE large caliper bolt
  • Remove sensor? Can you clarify this point? How?
  • Remove old pads
  • Reverse process

Also, I DON'T have to remove the calipers to replace the pads, correct?

Is it easy to compress the piston(s) to slide in the new pads?

Did you do fronts and rears?

Anything else?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 03-04-2006, 08:01 PM
JeffES
Pro

"Cayenne in Park, foot off brake, press accelerator to floor......huh, I guess the rev limiter does work at around 4000RPM. "
This is a fairly common figure... and this is an "EPA" issue. Regs now cover no load off throttle, so the easy solution is to prohibit a full range of throttle inputs at P/N.
FWIW, all 4 cars in the family fleet have the same cutoff (2 P, 1 VW, 1 Ford).
J
Old 03-04-2006, 08:03 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jack up car, remove wheel, etc --Yes use axle stands (yuo cannot quite see them in my pics)

Remove ONE large caliper bolt ----- its about 13mm. This is the main bolt which goes front the back holding the pad retention spring in place.

Remove sensor? Can you clarify this point? How? ------The sensor cannot be removed without destroying it, it just comes out with the pad the wires snap.

Remove old pads----The pads slip out with a screw driver levering it up.
Reverse process

Also, I DON'T have to remove the calipers to replace the pads, correct? -- Yes

Is it easy to compress the piston(s) to slide in the new pads? Yes, I use a piece of hardwood, just do one at a time so the pad hold them in place. You will need pad grease.

Did you do fronts and rears? --- No the back were still more than 50%

Anything else? -- Not realy, very easy.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:06 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 97 Posts

These parts look like a cost effective option to the factory parts.

Quick Reply: I am pissed! And a warning to you new Pepper owners.