Old 01-24-2006, 05:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dension breaking news..

from the 997 Forum:

One more thing. I called Dension today and spoke to a human. I am told they got the iPOD adaptor working and they are entering into production mode with the goal of product availability in 1.5 months! Say.... March 15 by my calculation.

I inquired further...they say they got it working on a Cayenne but it will work on any Porsche MOST bus. They say it will cost slightly under $600.

Break out your parkas......it looks like hell is about to freeze over if they actually deliver something.
Old 01-24-2006, 06:03 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG on their calendar what does that actually mean ? Doesn't the 08's have the adapter in the design already ?

I for one am holding my breath, good bye world

Old 01-24-2006, 07:24 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mudman2
Doesn't the 08's have the adapter in the design already ?
You know if I told you the answer to that question, I'd have to kill you.

I for one am holding my breath, good bye world
Hey, no cutting in line....
Old 01-24-2006, 08:49 PM
zumaron
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm on the sidelines with oxygen when you guys are ready.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slightly under $600! Is it because its MOST or because its Porsche that makes it 3 times the cost of the adapter for my wife's Acura? Perhaps both?
Old 01-24-2006, 10:28 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Its mainly because by the time its released only 2 people will want it. Both naked vintage Cayenne owners.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Its mainly because by the time its released only 2 people will want it. Both naked vintage Cayenne owners.
Yes, and I'm not one of them.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:41 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Shamus
Slightly under $600! Is it because its MOST or because its Porsche that makes it 3 times the cost of the adapter for my wife's Acura? Perhaps both?
Dension probably has to:
1. recover the NRE costs, amoritized against what it believes the total sales will be
2. pay it's fees to maintain membership in the MOST cooperation
3. likely pay PAG for access to the PAG speciific MOST extentions in the protocol.....probably in the form of royalties or a yearly licensing fee up to a certain # of units....hard to say exactly how they structured it.

The H/W BOM costs for the adapter are likely around $50 or so.

If you think MOST is bad, try working with Apple on iPod integration.
They used to charge 10% of the RETAIL selling price of the product the iPod would be used with.....so for a Bose SoundDock, it would be 10% of $299 ($29.90) sent to Apple for EVERY SoundDock sold.....same for BMW iPod adapters, etc. Apple has since come down a bit on their royalties...I think it's between 5-6% now for larger OEM's.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:23 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I'm not one of the two naked MOST buyers either! For $600 bucks, all 3 kids (daughter got a nano for xmas) can put their headsets on and blow their ears out to whatever they want individually (i.e. no fighting) and then on the rare occasion that all 3 are in the car anyway, I'll go "vintage" in my naked-ness and play 5 CD's worth of jazz or occasionally when some lame BMW X5 tries to pass.. punch over to the 6th CD (since I leave my Nav CD in the dash drive) with Top Gun and assorted other fast driving tracks!! i.e. crank it up and let the lame BMW see my twin tailpipes!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:48 AM
JARO
Pro

holly crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!....I'm running out to get some downers....i'm so excited I just can't hide it!!!!!! I think they will cut us a deal since there will be like what.....5 of us left with cayenne's out there all naked....meds meds meds meds please.....this is not happening....it is just a dream...!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 11:50 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JARO
holly crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!....I'm running out to get some downers....i'm so excited I just can't hide it!!!!!! I think they will cut us a deal since there will be like what.....5 of us left with cayenne's out there all naked....meds meds meds meds please.....this is not happening....it is just a dream...!!!
Do you feel pretty? or just excited? NAKED is such a beautiful thing... I just wish I hadn't PAID for my naked-ness.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:46 PM
JARO
Pro

EXCITED MAN!!! plain excited!!! yeah...not there yet....but i think you naked dudes are more like naked and have your backs turned to a 7 feet 350 pound prisoner in county jail who just asked you to pick up the soap in the shower room...I think that is how I would feel...ok I'm taking stupid here...all becasue of that stupid dension adapter!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 11:02 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Jaro thats what it does to you eventually :-)
Old 01-26-2006, 12:35 AM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been reading you people for some time now ... only lately I'm beginning to KIND OF understand what you are all taking about. It's hard to decipher things between the kool aid and anime derriers in straight jackets :-D

So, be gentle, I said KIND OF, is this thread about an upcoming software that will integrate iPod with the Nav system?
Old 01-26-2006, 01:04 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
I've been reading you people for some time now ... only lately I'm beginning to KIND OF understand what you are all taking about. It's hard to decipher things between the kool aid and anime derriers in straight jackets :-D --- So, be gentle, I said KIND OF, is this thread about an upcoming software that will integrate iPod with the Nav system?
Welcome.. pretty and smart! What a combination --- and, you own a Cayenne too? Yes, it seems that these cool old "naked" geezers may actually get past FM static to listen to their kids' iPods (some even own their own!) directly into a over-priced MOST interface to the Bose sound system. It only took five model years!

Quick Reply: Dension breaking news..