Old 12-18-2005, 07:48 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Post Cayenne tire vibration issue

From December Panorama, page 136:

Cayenne tire vibration issue: My local Porsche service center acknowledges the vibration issue and agrees that it is in fact prevalent in Cayennes. He has the latest balancing equipment including a load balancer and cannot correct the vibration. My neighbor has a Cayenne S and she has the identical problem with her car. Porsche Cars North America in a response to an irate customer letter called the vibration problem "characteristic" of Cayennes. This is a real problem. Do you have any suggestions on how to resolve this vibration short of trading the car in?

Smith: We have had this same scenario on a few Cayennes. Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot a dealer can do without the assistance from Porsche. They pay the bills and if they tell you it's not broke you can't fix it. I think some of the vibration might be coming from the drive shafts; there are six in the Cayenne and if one if out of balance you will get a vibration and it will seem like a tire vibration. Now the next question is which one and will Porsche pay for it? Not at this time; something might come up in the future to cure this condition. Stay tuned.

Huh, my Cayenne has a "characteristic" too...apart from tire vibration detailed above, I have the "!" characteristic when towing. I guess I'm lucky, as these "characterstics" were N/C options.
Will Porsche pay for it? Not at this time.....Stay tuned. Stay tuned for what?
Pure Marketing, Pure Profits, Pure Porsche.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:10 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

La la la la... Sing with Smith.... It's beginning to look like Christmas... every where we go... we interrupt this Smith Panorama Christmas... scratttttttttttttttttttcccchhhhhhhhhhhh

Audio switches to German Polka music... Vee here @ PAG vill not do zee Xmas gifts "fixes" for zee owners for zee crap like !!!! or other Cayenne glitches! Happy News Yearz.. PAG profits zay zet new recordz.

Last edited by MadFox; 12-18-2005 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:51 AM
trozenhorse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what size tires do you have on it and what type? i went thru the same thing....do a search on road force issues.....
Old 12-21-2005, 04:28 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

For some reason I never had the vibration , i had 3 cayennes. Then again I never had the Continental
Old 12-21-2005, 04:38 PM
marquiz
Cruisin'

On my CTT (currently with Continental 4x4 Sport Winter Contact 275/40 R 20 106V) absolutelly no vibration problems at all !

But on my previous set of tires (the same type and dimensions) have some problems at approx. 70 km/h (not mph - I'm from europe).

So - this is not vibration problems, this could be your tire-replacement crew problem !
Old 12-21-2005, 09:01 PM
356driver
Racer

First I didn't have the problem. Then as my Conti's wore down I started to feel a little vibration. Then I got Toyo Proxes and they had a horrible vibration. I took them back to the tire dealer for a re-balance and they got better, but not good enough. So I had them Roadforce balanced and the problem went away.

I have to conclude those big 20" rims with huge offsets are very sensitive to the type of equipment used in balancing. From now on I will only deal with a tire shop that has Roadforce.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:39 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 943 Likes on 574 Posts

Guess I've been lucky- essentially no vibrations with original Pirellis- was a liitle nervous when I replaced them, with Michelin Diamaris I got at Costco. No problems with those either- no vibrations (and I assume they just did a regular balance without road force.)
Old 12-22-2005, 01:02 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Had the vibration with the 19's - was balanced out but came back after 18,000 miles. Placed the 18's on for this winter and ZERO vibration from the get go!

It's all in balancing the tires. This spring will get some new Michilin 19's - balanced and all will be well!

Old 12-28-2005, 06:33 PM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

I had the vibration from day one. The Pirelli's were replaced with new ones from the dealership...it got a little better but its still there. What can I say, this POS will be gone before the warranty is up....lesson learned.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:54 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I firmly believe that the dealers do not know how to use the balancing equipment they have or they give it to kids to use.

It took my dealer 3 times to get it right AFTER I got 2 free tires from Porsche. It has not vibrated since, changed tires a few times as well. I put it down to then not taking the balancing seriously initially. My dealer is very good but from all the posts over the years I think 90% is bad balancing.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:38 AM
MeanMachine
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the continentals that come with the factory 20 inch sport designs its comfortable and there is no vibration what so ever i faced loads of vibrations with the 22 inch wheels iu had because there is no road force balance in kuwait.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:26 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

When they changed my tires which at the time never had any vibrations suddenly on a long road excursion it exhibited the vibration at around 70-75 mph. Took it back to dealer and had it rebalanced. All is gone : ). Regards. Mike
Old 12-29-2005, 04:48 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, when we're in the market for a bigger everyday car I will not consider a cayenne until this issue is cleared up by porsche (we'd be looking at certified pre-owned). This is nuts and would **** me off to no end if I had spent all this money and the dealership couldn't correct the problem. No excuse on the part of Porsche.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:02 PM
Filledukke
AutoX

I have no problems with vibration. And it is not only a question of unballance if you have vibration. You who have problems, are you measuring out of roundness and also checking wether the rim and tire are within the spec? PAG has a clear spec on this. However, the car is somewhat more sensitive than normal.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:41 AM
426H
Advanced

I haven´t had any vibrating issues with either of my set of wheels. I have OEM turbo 18´s with winter tires and 20 inch sport technos with summer tires.

Quick Reply: Cayenne tire vibration issue