Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

worst gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 10:36 AM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9-12 for me..if lucky I hit 13...dealer could not find anything wrong...I'm tired of this truck! allignment done, air filter changed although the previous was not at all dirty...I get 225 miles on a tank of gas!!!! and I do not frickin race this thing! mostly highway driving up to 80mph at times.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:19 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JARO
...I'm tired of this truck!
Welcome to the Dark Side of Cayenne ownership. Would you like an aisle or window seat?

Yes, after a while, your body does build up an immunity to the only known Cayenne ownership antidode (Purplesaurus Rex Kool Aid)

This is actually sort of interesting, the apparent discrepancies in mileage reported in this thread....I never get less than 17mpg (unless doing the "T" word), 400 miles or so on a tank, and I have never serviced the Cayenne.....you mean these things actually have an air filter AND a dipstick?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the dipstick in the driver's seat?
Old 12-06-2005, 10:23 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lewis, I think the 'track appliance" fits your personality perfectly!!! Mine does me!!! Go with it!!!!

happy holidays

tom
Old 12-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Budget M3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torags
Is the dipstick in the driver's seat?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:44 AM
bigdog
Advanced

itc the best i seen with my truck was 16.5 ,,and that was wheni first bought it ,,now i am getting 13.5 and i just did a 30 k service but dealer did not change spark plugs b/c he said it wasnot needed at a 30 k service,,,i find that hard to believe so i insisted (argued )untill he said he will add it into the service i'm goin this morning to dealer to have them changed hopefully it will go up a lil bit thank guys
Old 12-07-2005, 11:33 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I'm afraid that the best you can hope for is your dealer to try and determine the root cause of your apparently lower than average mileage.

You are in the "no man's" land of PCNA/Porsche ownership...let me explain.

Many Cayennes actually are able to have the MFD stay where you left it...say "Range" or "Avg MPG", unlike some other Cayennes where the display ALWAYS defaults to "AVG MPH". You talk to other Cayenne owners, you get a Cayenne loaner vehicle, all of which actually have a display that stays where you left it. You mention this to your dealer and the response is something like " there's nothing wrong with it".
Now, since there is NOTHING in the owner's manual/sales literature/documentation that says its SUPPOSED to stay where you left it, there will be no fix for the vehicle....although PCNA and PAG certainly COULD fix it, they simply chose not to in order to save $$.

Your situation is the same, just substitute "mileage" for "MFD display". It's obviously MUCH lower than others can get, but there is nothing that says you're SUPPOSED to get xxx MPG. So even if there is something wrong, its unlikely they'll go replacing major components (or spending major technician hours) trying to locate it.

Such is the reality of the 'new' Porsche.
Hopefully your dealer can work with you to try and resolve it somewhat.
Best of luck,
Old 12-07-2005, 08:35 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

9-12 for me..if lucky I hit 13...dealer could not find anything wrong...I'm tired of this truck! allignment done, air filter changed although the previous was not at all dirty...I get 225 miles on a tank of gas!!!! and I do not frickin race this thing! mostly highway driving up to 80mph at times.

I know you dont race it but 80mph is really not an economical speed

Last edited by alex911s; 12-07-2005 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by alex911s
I know you dont race it but 80mph is really not an economical speed
In that case I would suggest folding in the rear mirrors to reduce drag in an effort to improve mileage
(it also tends to cut down on side window wind noise.....try it)
Old 12-08-2005, 12:08 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
In that case I would suggest folding in the rear mirrors to reduce drag in an effort to improve mileage (it also tends to cut down on side window wind noise.....try it)
Now, now.. you know that the cotangent reverse hypothetical reduction of drag only is measurable at 150+ mph.
Old 12-08-2005, 01:25 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
In that case I would suggest folding in the rear mirrors to reduce drag in an effort to improve mileage
(it also tends to cut down on side window wind noise.....try it)
Old 12-08-2005, 09:01 AM
JARO
Pro

perhaps removing the seats and driving with only about 5 gal in the tank might help huh? I'm close to giving up on Cayenne....might give Porsche a try with a pre-driven 05 911 and get a beater Japanese car for winters....
Old 12-08-2005, 10:17 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

perhaps removing the seats and driving with only about 5 gal in the tank might help huh? I'm close to giving up on Cayenne....might give Porsche a try with a pre-driven 05 911 and get a beater Japanese car for winters....
Jaro, I have a S and thought the same and then I start doing a little research and I keep driving "das beast". Get to a different dealer and really challenge them on the fuel issue.. again, I routinely get 18 to almost 20 if I keep it around 76-78 on the highway.. around town and I have lots of stoplights etc. on my drive to work.. it is 14 or so.. mixed it is 15 -16. now if I idle a lot and I have "played" a lot.. i.e. fast take-offs.. fun interstate take-offs.. on ramp to 75 as fast as it will go.. then the worst I have gotten is 13.. but surely mileage is not the reason you're thinking of retiring?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

What I find unnerving is seeing some of these posters get their Pepper with so much enthusiasm and then have that turn to disappointment. We're here to witness the entire cycle. The internet can get real personal...
Old 12-08-2005, 11:37 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Torags
What I find unnerving is seeing some of these posters get their Pepper with so much enthusiasm and then have that turn to disappointment. We're here to witness the entire cycle. The internet can get real personal...
Yes, but then I think some of these folks are not educating themselves before they buy.. not the case with Jaro, but, I think with any true sports car brand that you must realize:
a. they are thoroughbreds and thus temperamental
b. they are going to be fuel hogs
c. they'll be exhilarating and frustrating at the same time (ltc more on the f-side!)
d. they are expensive in every sense of the word, insurance, repairs, operating costs, parts, etc.

Now, I have my days, I'd like to shoot "das beast" but they are far outweighed by the good days. Don't tell me "et tu brutus?"

Quick Reply: worst gas mileage