Sponsored by:

car keys

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 04:02 AM
cruisin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car keys

hey lost one of my car keys, just wondering if anyone knows what's the cost on them? I'll be in the US in a month so if it's cheaper somewhere in Florida I'll get it there. Live in Montreal now.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
IIRC, you need to go to your dealer for this, as after the key is mechanically ground, it will have to be programmed to match the car. Just give your dealer a call.

Just a guess....did you lose your key after throwing it at the Cayenne in an effort to get the door to open (due to the poor range of some fobs), it bounced off the Cayenne and fell down a storm drain? It happened to me.........
Old 11-30-2005, 11:08 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
IIRC, you need to go to your dealer for this, as after the key is mechanically ground, it will have to be programmed to match the car. Just give your dealer a call.

Just a guess....did you lose your key after throwing it at the Cayenne in an effort to get the door to open (due to the poor range of some fobs), it bounced off the Cayenne and fell down a storm drain? It happened to me.........
Liar Liar Pants on Fire... You lost your keys due to a "taunting incident" by your sarcastic (like their father) kids after your wife took them from you while you are in the "villa". One of the kids put it on your pencil while you were sleeping in your straight jacket to torment you.. when you woke up you shook so violently that it flew off the pencil and went in your bedpan and the nurse thought that you had schitzu-ed her a new vehicle... after her arrest the embarassed Warden delivered the feces soaked key to you and put it again on your pencil whereupon you you shook again and it flew into the Kool-Aid dispenser.. after the adult mixer seeped in -- it shorted the FOB battery and you had to go to the dealer .. this is also the reason you have schitzu spouting from your mouth everytime you hear the word CAYENNE or see a !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 01:01 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought my version sounded a little bit better.......
Old 11-30-2005, 01:03 PM
cruisin
Track Day

nah I just picked up a 05 cayenne, and it was used, with only 1 key. I also need to change the cluster, it's in miles, and I need KMS. Digitally it says KMS though. That's an expensive one, quoted 1920 + labor (1-2 hours) cad to do that....oh well, at least the car is fun to drive.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:15 PM
thecleaner
Instructor

Originally Posted by MadFox
Liar Liar Pants on Fire... You lost your keys due to a "taunting incident" by your sarcastic (like their father) kids after your wife took them from you while you are in the "villa". One of the kids put it on your pencil while you were sleeping in your straight jacket to torment you.. when you woke up you shook so violently that it flew off the pencil and went in your bedpan and the nurse thought that you had schitzu-ed her a new vehicle... after her arrest the embarassed Warden delivered the feces soaked key to you and put it again on your pencil whereupon you you shook again and it flew into the Kool-Aid dispenser.. after the adult mixer seeped in -- it shorted the FOB battery and you had to go to the dealer .. this is also the reason you have schitzu spouting from your mouth everytime you hear the word CAYENNE or see a !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-01-2005, 10:05 AM
Cay-ute
Addict
Rennlist Member

Replacing a Cayenne key costed me about $175 bucks. My dealer, not sure about others, is not able to cut the key at their shop, must get it from PCNA and it requires them to have your VIN number. After that they need to code your remote to the vehicle, takes about 20-30 mintues.

I just went through all of this as my wife mistakenly (or deliberately) tossed the keys to my Cayenne and 996 into the trash (at least that is what she thinks she did). Total replacement for both sets and recoding.......$395.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:15 PM
ScottS
Instructor

I did the same- actually parking attendant broke one. Cost 175 but the dealer had my car well beyond the promised time ( with my wife waiting) and included it with the service ( free). The other question is whether other keys will work in its place ( smaller and keep remote functions - hatch for trunk etc)

here is one on ebay ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PORSC...18349223QQrdZ1
scott
Old 12-02-2005, 01:17 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottS
I did the same- actually parking attendant broke one. Cost 175 but the dealer had my car well beyond the promised time ( with my wife waiting) and included it with the service ( free). The other question is whether other keys will work in its place ( smaller and keep remote functions - hatch for trunk etc)
Okay... I'm going to start to sound like LTC... uh-hum.. let's see I have had oh... maybe 3 or 4 Fob sets and 5 or 6 keys drilled. I went for a day with the inability to even withdraw my key from the ignition.. isn't that a wonderful feeling for car jackers.. I took the little plastic key and tried to lock it ... can't do with key in ignition.. thought well.. I'm not taking off a tire and rolling into my office like a scene from an obscure movie called Rocketman.

The reverse Polish engineered key tab is so NOT precise that it took 3 or 4 times and two weeks (they were fedex-ing them by the second week) before I had keys that would slide in/out and work in the door properly.. if they don't get it the first time just sit on the floor and start

doesn't help your current situation but it may get you a deeper discount on a 911!!

Quick Reply: car keys