Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can PASM be added to a non-PASM truck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 03:52 PM
curveraider
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can PASM be added to a non-PASM truck?

I have been looking for a used CS for many months. However, I can not seem to find one with the options I am seeking. I did find one that has everything except for the PASM. Can it be added or am I better off to continuing my search? The other ride that I did find has PASM, but no nav or tow package, am I better off upgrading that truck?

Thanks,
Old 10-19-2005, 04:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
No, it can NOT be added to the truck, for a multitude of reasons, first and foremost due to the nature of the VIN specific wiring harness in the Cayenne.

On the other hand, it IS possible to add PCM/NAV to a CDR23 equipped Cayenne (it is sold as a standard Porsche Tequipment item) at a cost of approximately $4000

AND

option 1D6 (trailer tow option) can be added as well, at a cost of approximately $2000 (this requires removal of the rear bumper (to install mechanical tow bar unit) and rear passenger side rear cargo area surround (to install tow control electronics module....don't get me started on that)

I can not comment on the financial implications of upgrading adding PCM/NAV and 1D6 to an existing Cayenne, as I'm not allowed to handle my own finances....not very good with money... so I'll leave that opinion up to another forum member.

Good luck,
Old 10-19-2005, 05:11 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by curveraider
I have been looking for a used CS for many months. However, I can not seem to find one with the options I am seeking. I did find one that has everything except for the PASM. Can it be added or am I better off to continuing my search? The other ride that I did find has PASM, but no nav or tow package, am I better off upgrading that truck? Thanks,
As ltc has stated so eloquently... at least not economically. IMHO, I would think that you should be able to do a nation-wide search of new '05's and see if you can negotiate a significant discount (you should be able to). The used prices still haven't come down that much and obviously if you're wanting to tow etc., you need to consider this as a long term investment and:
a. part with a little more cash
b. not have to worry about all the '03 and '04 glitches

Now, if you're towing a big trailer with lots of lights, did we mention an annoying little problem revolving around a warning indicator... WHOOPS.. I had an out of body experience... I don't do tow light commentary... NEXXXXXXT - OH, ltc, ltc, are you there?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:42 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MadFox
obviously if you're wanting to tow
Who in their right mind would want to tow with a Cayenne?

not have to worry about all the '03 and '04 glitches
Glitches?! In 03 and 04 Cayennes? What glitches?

Everytime I turn on my headlights, the trailer lights go out, the rear glass opens by itself and when I get out of the car and throw the remote control at the door, the headlights no longer get fogged up and my doors unlock.
See, works perfectly, no glitches

Now, if you're towing a big trailer with lots of lights, did we mention an annoying little problem revolving around a warning indicator... WHOOPS.. I had an out of body experience... I don't do tow light commentary... NEXXXXXXT - OH, ltc, ltc, are you there?
Trailer lighting and the Cayenne.....
Grab a cup of Purplesaurus Rex and relax, this is like that bedtime story......

This bed is TOO soft.....translation: you have an insufficient number of trailer lights or LED lights (see ltc and JFScheck)
This bed is TOO hard....translation: you have too many trailer lights (see skl)
This bed is JUST right.....you have the exact number/type of lights Porsche guessed at...of course, this is documented NOWHERE in the known universe.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:11 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Arlen,

I would take the one with PASM, you can always upgrade the PCM( or get a better one) and the towing package. Find a CPO '04 or make sure all the TSB's are done. good luck
Old 10-19-2005, 09:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by alex911s
Arlen,
you can always upgrade the PCM (or get a better one) ......
Upgrade to a PCM better than the OEM Becker unit? Now THAT got my attention.

Exactly how many companies in the world are currently producing MOST headunits?
Let me see.....hmmmn, there's Becker (check) and then there's Panasonic Japan.....I remember now, yes, they tried to produce a MOST headunit for Mercedes S Class vehicles in Japan.....I'd ask them how that turned out after their trip to Germany for their MOST certification/validation/inspection, but I'm pretty sure those involved are still not willing to relive that experience.

Of course you can replace the headunit with just about anything you desire (assuming you can get a trim and mounting kit), but then you have to replace the amp, CDChanger, DVDNav unit, amplifier, run all sorts of copper wire in place of the plastic fiber optics, lose functionality of the steering wheel controls, explain to the vehicle's security/alarm system that the headunit really wasn't stolen....I'll stop there.

Sounds like a fun weekend project!
Old 10-19-2005, 09:44 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Upgrade to a PCM better than the OEM Becker unit? Now THAT got my attention.

Exactly how many companies in the world are currently producing MOST headunits?
Let me see.....hmmmn, there's Becker (check) and then there's Panasonic Japan.....I remember now, yes, they tried to produce a MOST headunit for Mercedes S Class vehicles in Japan.....I'd ask them how that turned out after their trip to Germany for their MOST certification/validation/inspection, but I'm pretty sure those involved are still not willing to relive that experience.

Of course you can replace the headunit with just about anything you desire (assuming you can get a trim and mounting kit), but then you have to replace the amp, CDChanger, DVDNav unit, amplifier, run all sorts of copper wire in place of the plastic fiber optics, lose functionality of the steering wheel controls, explain to the vehicle's security/alarm system that the headunit really wasn't stolen....I'll stop there.

Sounds like a fun weekend project!
Yeah I mean aftermarket.
I saw sfbimmer's eclipse unit and lapiscayennes pioneer avic d1, both are touch screen and are more user friendly. They got it done here in the Bay Area, but like you said you will loose other functionality like steering button and security.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:00 PM
curveraider
Racer

You guys are a hoot I spent most of the day reading about the kool-aid, by the way the revers engineering was great and I will be putting some additives in my verison... I have also read about all of the lighting issues and the back seat belt "upgrade" thing. It sounds like the best bet is to find something with the PASM and deal with the other stuff. Can I just add an aftermarket tow bar? Is the truck going to shut down or blow up or some crazy thing? I can live without the NAV, but towing with the PASM sounds like the ticket.

Thanks again,
Old 10-19-2005, 10:58 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

You guys are a hoot
Did you guys hear that....he thinks we're a hoot!
Psst, should we tell him about the "foaming at the mouth Defenders of the Cayenne Faithful"....those forum members who defend the Cayenne against all enemies? Nah, let him meet them on his own.....

Can I just add an aftermarket tow bar?
Our distinguished moderator (and adult day care provider for some of us), Mudman2, IIRC has information/post regarding an aftermarket install. I would suggest sending him a PM, email, Help Me Post, setting a small fire in the forum to get his attention, etc.
I would also suggest checking out this past couple of issues of Panorama, as a Porsche dealer was advertising the tow package for $618 or so... good price, even with installation.

Is the truck going to shut down or blow up or some crazy thing?
Yes, it will shut down
Yes, it will blow up
Yes, it will do multiple crazy things (I think the Cayenne has more personalities than I do....really)
Yes, but that is what gives the Cayenne its "CHARACTER"

I can live without the NAV, but towing with the PASM sounds like the ticket.
Those of us who tow quite a bit (myself and skl have 20' enclosed aluminum car haulers...I tow an average of once-twice a week) have PASM and do quite well. JFScheck also tows quite a bit and IIRC has PASM as well. I don't have NAV and dont' really miss it....the NAVTEC CD's have huge regions of 'nothing but green'

Thanks again
Whoa, wait a minute. Don't thank us yet, as your feelings will likely change if you buy a Cayenne.
They will definitely change depending on exactly WHAT you intend on towing.
However, Purplesaurus Rex Kool-Aid appears to be an effective antitode against long term Cayenne ownership.....however, I seem to have developed an immunity, which is why I find myself in a straight jacket, typing with a pencil in my mouth, in my "vacation villa", my Cayenne in the shop (out of sight, out of mind), heavily medicated (MadFox checks in on me from time to time and helps "adjust" my medications, and generally trying to make people in this forum laugh a bit, swear a bit, cry a bit......
Old 10-19-2005, 11:22 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are a hoot I spent most of the day reading about the kool-aid, by the way the revers engineering was great and I will be putting some additives in my verison... I have also read about all of the lighting issues and the back seat belt "upgrade" thing. It sounds like the best bet is to find something with the PASM and deal with the other stuff. Can I just add an aftermarket tow bar? Is the truck going to shut down or blow up or some crazy thing? I can live without the NAV, but towing with the PASM sounds like the ticket. Thanks again,
Hmmmm, I may have to change my name to MadOwl and hoot some more about all the fun we have in our vacation villa sipping Purplesaurus Rex

You could always just use a Garmon handheld GPS ... and U-Haul has real pretty towbars with orange stickers that cannot be removed with U-Haul all over them... looks classy at the PCA meetings. Oh, now regarding the forum guy formerly known as ltc now known as the "man in white with no arms" he was just kidding about the blowing up part.. that is only when you have a visitor from the middle east who is upset when you say "democracy" ... now shutting down is always a possibility - last one I heard of -- was this guy who was in west Texas on I-10 100 miles from the next exit... and his MTE reading in the dash was 0... sure enough it "shut down" -- outside of being "stuck on fuel STUPID" have never been stranded yet and don't know of anyone that has been.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:32 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

This drinks for you!

Quick Reply: Can PASM be added to a non-PASM truck?