Sponsored by:

Right Turn Signal and other problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 11:40 PM
bobdog
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Right Turn Signal and other problems

I have a recurring warning about the right turn signal. It does not always happen but every so often It warns the turn signal has malfunctioned. It is always the right front bulb that fails to work. The bulb has been replaced, the socket for the bulb and once again the bulb. The problem is that it sometimes works and sometimes does not.

Does anyone else have this problem or heard of it? I think it is further up the line, like in a control unit but have had no luck convincing Porsche as it is easier for them to say it is a bad filament that occasionally separates and that gets me out of the shop for another 6 months.

As to other problems that seem(ed?) to be unfixable:

1. Hesitation, tried resetting the memory, etc but a recurrent and embarrassing problem when loaning the car to someone. It seems ridiculous to have to warn them not to jump into traffic in a Porsche as the delay could get them killed. Tried updating software, etc, finally just gave up and do manual shifting if needed. Anything new on this front?

2. Vibration. 18" rims, vibrated always around 60-75 mph depsite multiple balancing and alignment tries. Continentals wore out at 18K, Turanzas wore out at 12K with same vibration, but this time I went with non Porsche rated Michelin Diamaris. I had given up on this issue, but the vibration has never recurred once I changed to Diamaris and I now have 8K on them with minimal wear so far.

3. Key. Never would work well, replaced twice with worse performance each time. Then on the last visit they changed to the latest key version. It actually opens the doors each and every time and has reasonable range as well. No idea why it took so long, but at least this valet embarrassment is gone.

Still love the car even with the warts.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:05 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Only problem I have had is with your #1. I have complained about the fact of about getting t-boned due to a delay in the launch and have been told that is the nature of the beast! In a stick shift P car or other type, there is NO delay. So when is Porsche going to fix this insane shortcoming??
Old 10-18-2005, 10:47 AM
djdinaz
Track Day

I have the same problem. Leave the lights on the 'automatic' position, and every once in a while, the drivers side halogen high beam won't work (the small, but bright, lights that come on in addition to the bi-xenons). When that happens, there's usually a 50/50 chance the passenger side turn signal (in the headlight cluster) doesn't work either. Odd part is that it's ALWAYS the same two lights, never any others.

No rhyme or reason as to why it happens, but leaving the lights in the off position (instead of letting the lights come on in the garage when I start it) overnight tends to cure it. Dealer looked at the lights, connections, etc, and could find nothing wrong. Just a gremlin I'm forced to live with.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:54 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by pdxjim
So when is Porsche going to fix this insane shortcoming??
Please allow me to venture out on a limb here......
Hmmn, THEY'RE NOT?
Yeah, that sounds about right. I could rattle off many reasons as to why they're not, but it doesn't really matter.

Turn off PSM (Please Save Me) and your hesitation will be gone...and don't worry, the minute you need to STAND on the brakes, PSM will re-engage and life will be good once again.
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/221174-cayenne-hesitation-learn-to-live-with-it.html
Old 10-18-2005, 12:37 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobdog
I have a recurring warning about the right turn signal.
same deal a few times the right cornering light would fail. It hasn't happened now in over a year? Software upgrade? For no apparent reason it stopped and I never replaced a bulb etc. Do you have all software upgrades?
As to other problems that seem(ed?) to be unfixable:
1. Hesitation, ... Anything new on this front?
Yes and no. Part of the issue is just the fact that this is "drive by wire".. however I have never had it and Brent89GT and a few others report "none" as well. Try another dealer and be sure to see that all TSB's have been completed. Lastly, LTC is correct, Porsche designed PSM to kick in during "extremis" situations whether or not you have it engaged.. this appears to fix the problem.. but you do get the PSM off light<@ (ltc doesn't like the exc. point and he reads all, sees all<@).
2. Vibration. 18" rims, vibrated always around 60-75 mph ....Continentals wore out at 18K, Turanzas wore out at 12K ---- non Porsche rated Michelin Diamaris. I had given up on this issue, but the vibration has never recurred once I changed to Diamaris and I now have 8K on them with minimal wear so far.
Michelin generally, not always, has a better "manufacturing tolerance" tire due to its patents this is known as "road force"... which means to you that the road force on each Mich.tire is probably below 20 for sure and most likely below 15. Read posts/search on forum for "shimmy" and "road force"..it explains it all. You are indeed FIXED.. I had Conti's and Bridgestone and after 36K finally was vibration free with Diamaris (all had road force under 10) as well.. Ain't it wonderful?.
3. Key. Never would work well,
Ditto and then voila' a remote key that actually worked (about one year on that one).

So if we can get your hesitation cured, you'll be like me 100% glitch free?? IT is a MIRACLE<@<@<@.. Praise the Lord, Hallelujah.. Can I get an Amen?
Old 10-18-2005, 03:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Please allow me to open my response with the classic:
"Jane, you ignorant ****"......love that one.
Originally Posted by MadFox
Do you have all software upgrades?:
Which ones? There is an update of the week list going somewhere at Porsche. The latest was W555, reprogram (rear) ECU, a.k.a. rear comfort control module...which has NOTHING to do with comfort.....it is responsible for things like:
1. being able to open the rear hatch (no, having it open itself does not count)
2. footwell lighting
3. door locks
4. yes, control of the dreaded tow control unit.

Yes and no. Part of the issue is just the fact that this is "drive by wire".. however I have never had it and Brent89GT and a few others report "none" as well. Try another dealer and be sure to see that all TSB's have been completed.
TSB, software updates will only get you so far...after that it's time to ask/beg for module replacement (ECU and transmission control). Of course, since there is nothing 'wrong' with the units (no specification or written document stating EXACTLY how they should work.....kind of like the fact that "Check Trailer Lights" shows up NOWHERE in the owner's manual, it's unlikely that PCNA will authorize the dealer to replace the modules

(ltc doesn't like the exc. point and he reads all, sees all<@)
Well, when you have nothing to do, wearing a straight jacket, velcroed to your bed in your "vacation villa", typing with a pencil between your teeth and STILL WAITING FOR THE BLONDE NURSE TO GIVE YOU THE SPONGE BATH SHE PROMISED.....I guess you do read a lot.

Ditto and then voila' a remote key that actually worked (about one year on that one)
There is Cayenne forum legend that if you actually throw your key/remote the car hard enough, the doors will open.

So if we can get your hesitation cured, you'll be like me 100% glitch free?? IT is a MIRACLE<@<@<@.. Praise the Lord, Hallelujah.. Can I get an Amen?
Thank you Reverend. Now, after we pass around the Porsche Cayenne collection plate/disaster relief fund for owners who have expired warranties, I will then ask you all to drink this Purplesaurus Rex Kool Aid
Old 10-19-2005, 12:04 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Please allow me to open my response with the classic:
"Jane, you ignorant ****"......love that one.:
First and foremost. I am married therefore calling me a **** is an oxymoron<@. Secondly, I'm in Alabama not California so calling me Jane could result in not only you being in the "villa" for protracted lengths of time but in me heading north with a shotgun because "ain't nobody gonna call me some girlie name<@". However having said all of that my response would be: "I'm Gumby dammit<@".

Originally Posted by ltc
Well, when you have nothing to do, wearing a straight jacket, velcroed to your bed in your "vacation villa", typing with a pencil between your teeth and STILL WAITING FOR THE BLONDE NURSE TO GIVE YOU THE SPONGE BATH SHE PROMISED.....I guess you do read a lot.
When you call your fellow forum-mate and one who defends you regularly an ignorant ****, let me tell you where to put the pencil<@ I'm thinking of another orifice that excretes real schitzu not just the verbal kind<@

Originally Posted by ltc
There is Cayenne forum legend that if you actually throw your key/remote the car hard enough, the doors will open.
Actually this may be your wittiest and funniest line ever<@

Originally Posted by ltc
Thank you Reverend. Now, after we pass around the Porsche Cayenne collection plate/disaster relief fund for owners who have expired warranties, I will then ask you all to drink this Purplesaurus Rex Kool Aid
As a past 50K owner, I have bought an extended warranty to take me to 100K miles. As your pastor/priest/rabbi, let me advise you to place extra $$$ in the collection plate so that you can re-enter Cayenne forum heaven. Now regarding drinking the Kool-Aid, you again get extra points for providing a rallying drink to try and forget some of the PAG "bend-over" "glitches" (when spiked with adult beverage coolant).

Lastly, my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek... but God help the Reverend if he was not a member of the ltc fan club.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:02 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Look out! Lewis is on a tear! Who let him out of his tapered and tailed "white jacket"??
Old 10-19-2005, 11:56 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Look out! Lewis is on a tear! Who let him out of his tapered and tailed "white jacket"??
Toby !!!!!! (BTW, that's a happy "!", not a "!" ,Beep, Your name is 'Check Trailer Lights' "!")
Where have you been? Haven't heard from you much since the early days of the Cayenne forum.
Can I offer you a glass of Purplesaurus Rex Kool Aid (the offical drink sponsor of the Cayenne forum).
Don't be a stranger.........
Old 10-20-2005, 12:19 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I need to get some shirts made up...
Old 10-20-2005, 09:03 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JFScheck
I need to get some shirts made up...
I am a bit disappointed that my Cayenne forum T shirt thread died

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/222166-this-forum-should-have-tshirts.html

Some of the forum regulars seemed to be behind the idea......and there certainly is NO shortage of creative ideas on how to depict the Cayenne (and it's associated add ons......Purplesaurus Rex, "!", Trailers, tire vibration, fogged headlights, keyless entry remotes being thrown at the doors, rear glass open al by itself, A506 cowboy rear seat belt buckles.........Porsche INTENDED for this thing to have a T shirt)

My wife has a T shirt (the couple who bought my RSAmerica..... why the hell did I sell that car .....gave it to me ) which reads on the back:

"It's not a Porsche....unless it's got an air cooled engine stuck up it's ***"

Love that T shirt. Gotta get a few more.

If anyone wants to champion the cause (sorry, it's hard for me here at the '"vacation villa" and you try drawing with only a pencil between your teeth), I'll gladly kick in $100 to help cover silkscreen setup charges, etc.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:41 PM
tracker1115
2nd Gear

i found the turn signal problem is the headlight. you see the socket turns into the headlight housing and when turned to lock into place goes to far and doesn't make contact to work. so as you drive it moves a little over time and stops working
Old 10-20-2005, 09:22 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Turn off PSM (Please Save Me) and your hesitation will be gone...and don't worry, the minute you need to STAND on the brakes, PSM will re-engage and life will be good once again.

for some reason that;s the first time I've seen Please Save Me,almost fell off my chair, my coworker thinks i'm going nuts,LOL
Old 10-20-2005, 11:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I first heard it at the track one day from an instructor talking about his new student.
Not that far from the truth when you think about it......

Quick Reply: Right Turn Signal and other problems