Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 10:31 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wheels for the Cayenne?

What's the latest on wheels?
I'd like something like OZ Racing or BBS in a classic weave centre with wide polished rim, but tirerack.com and tires.com aren't cooperating.
I'll need 18's with M+S rubber with snow chains and 20's with dry performance stuff, probably both tyre selections will come from Nitto.
But the challenge is the wheel selection -- any and all advice welcome. I'm aware of the usual suspects (Champion, Kinesis, Cargraphic) but I'm a bit offset (ho hum) by the prices) so I'm wondering what else is out there.

Cheers,
Old 08-06-2005, 11:43 PM
trozenhorse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kahn wheels....i have a beautiful set of 20's....could not use 22's with the roads here in montreal....need some pics? go to their website.....projectkahn.com.......if you want the orginal porshce center caps....the 5 star ones they show need to be sanded down to give it enough clearance to click into place...the flat round porsche center caps fits no problem....good luck!!
Old 08-07-2005, 02:59 AM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
What's the latest on wheels?
I'd like something like OZ Racing or BBS in a classic weave centre with wide polished rim, but tirerack.com and tires.com aren't cooperating.
I'll need 18's with M+S rubber with snow chains and 20's with dry performance stuff, probably both tyre selections will come from Nitto.
But the challenge is the wheel selection -- any and all advice welcome. I'm aware of the usual suspects (Champion, Kinesis, Cargraphic) but I'm a bit offset (ho hum) by the prices) so I'm wondering what else is out there.

Cheers,
Check out my wheels if you like it, it's about $3K with tires from tirerack, the AT italia presa here's a sample pic. I used the original turbo wheels for winter Was gonna buy Cargraphic, just couldnt justify spending that much.
Dont know if NItto makes the Cayenne sizes, but I used Michelin Diamaris YR20 XL.
Attached Images   

Last edited by alex911s; 08-07-2005 at 03:41 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:24 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

These look just right, but I don't know the brand. How many miles have you done? Any off-road at speed or city driving with cavernous pot-holes? Have you had them checked as round and true? I'm trying to find a wheel strong enough for the abuse of an SUV.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:34 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

What are the lightest wheels for the Cayenne? (OEM, in at least 19")
Old 08-07-2005, 03:44 PM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gents, still believe that the Sport Techno's 20' are the best looking wheels for the Cayenne.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:58 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JARO
Gents, still believe that the Sport Techno's 20' are the best looking wheels for the Cayenne.
The Techno's a great choice and looks even better painted to match -- it gives the wheel a great "spoked" look without being weak. But they're expensive and they're factory -- I'm looking for something distinctively not "yet another Cayenne with Sport Techno" wheels.

I've checked out all the brands and Web sites I can bring to mind, but maybe there's a site I'm not finding that has the wheel that will work for me. Any links or brands or designs or pics welcome, please.

For the most part, the bling-meter goes FSD when I see Cayenne wheels -- too much -- and I'm looking for something that doesn't require me to rap or greet strangers with a shoulder-thumping hug. : ) yo yo yo - Yo-Yo Ma ...
Old 08-08-2005, 02:07 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schvetkaaks
What are the lightest wheels for the Cayenne? (OEM, in at least 19")
The lightest wheel/tire package will probably be an 18" wheel and this will lead to the best NVH. I've heard subjective comments that 22's improve road-holding, presumably by removing a lot of side-wall roll and flex. The increase in upsprung weight and the impact on harshness would be a compromise for people with a lot better roads than anything I've experienced in the USA.

Keeping the width down will also reduce wheel weight. You might even get down to 8" or 8.5" if you can find a wheel maker capable of doing the work.

I'm fairly confident Forgeline, Kinesis and Fikse will be able to accommodate you with a light and yet appropriately strong wheel for the Cayenne, but be prepared to bring that check-book on your equity line of credit ... : ) ... I saw some impressive (if too shiny) MoMo wheels today ... list $10K with rubber ...

There are wheel weight sites where people have built up databases of various wheel weights in numerous sizes -- I haven't tried to find Cayenne wheels there, but 911 drivers have a wealth of data there to make the right choice ... if you Google and browse enough, I'd imagine you'll find some numbers.

Cheers,
Old 08-11-2005, 03:29 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 21" bbs rxII wheels are great (reversed lip). btw: rears are wider. was told upon purchase bbs designed these for the cayenne. also, if you are looking for the lightest & best performance... this is the wheel (almost did the$e) btw: no aff'l w/ this co.: http://www.wheelenhancement.com/inde...elDetail&id=59 ... extremely light!!!

here's a shot of my my05 cs.... basalt black from wheel enhancement's site. (not a great shot)

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/getp...3_95_Black.jpg

ps- wheels & tyres totaled a bit over $5k (tax inc.)

here's a shot... gives ya an idea of the dish of the wheel (also not a very good pic)

bol on the search.

Last edited by 24FPS; 08-11-2005 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 10:38 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, what's that alien creature there captured in the pic? Quick, call the Mirror...
Old 08-12-2005, 04:58 AM
24FPS
Drifting

i'll try & dig up a nice c.u. side view... w/o the alien
Old 08-12-2005, 03:06 PM
LegoDoom
Instructor

I also like my BBS wheels... I just don't like cleaning them.

http://members.verizon.net/~vze25jy6/cayenne2.jpg
Old 08-12-2005, 03:58 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Tried that power-ball thing? Mothers? Meguires? Seems like a time-saver if it's small enough to get into the narrow gaps. If time is less of an issue than the tedium, I suggest jacking up the car, pulling off the wheel and cleaning it on a plastic bench (outdoors, on an old beach-towel or something to protect it) at a comfortable working height -- this way you can also clean the wheel-arches and the back of the wheel. It's also a good time to inspect wheels, tyres, brakes, suspension, wiring etc. and re-torque the wheel lugs, all of which should happen as frequently as you wash the car, especially if you tend to drive hard at high speed or on winding roads when the consequences of an otherwise minor mechanical failure become potentially catastrophic. Not that I'm so thorough ...
Old 08-12-2005, 04:58 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Check out this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-955-957-2003-2010/182956-best-aftmarket-wheels.html

I'm not a Cayenne guy, but these Techart wheels make me want to become one
Attached Images  

Last edited by The_Phantom; 08-12-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:23 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Originally Posted by LegoDoom
I also like my BBS wheels... I just don't like cleaning them.

http://members.verizon.net/~vze25jy6/cayenne2.jpg
sweet ride...convinced me... i've gotta' change my frnt turn signals to smoke grey ones.

btw: don't have too much of a prob cleaning... i spray 'em w/ cleaner, then i use one of those brush wands inside (behind the spokes) & mitt w/ soap. a lot of times i do my wheels twice a week b/c of break dust. those techarts look too easy to clean

Quick Reply: Wheels for the Cayenne?