Sponsored by:

steering wheel buttons paint peeling off

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 08:19 PM
LuxuryGuru
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering wheel buttons paint peeling off

Is anyone having problems with the paint chipping off their steering wheel buttons? I have the tan interior and it seems my problem is getting worse. I have several scratches on the buttons I frequently use and the other day cleaning the wheel a larger peice just peeled off.

Curious if anyone else is having this problem and if anyone knows if this is covered under the factory warranty. Thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 08:37 PM
gaurang
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

My dealer won't cover this but I assume some will.. I have found that a lot of warranty issues are in the hands of the dealer
Old 06-09-2005, 09:08 PM
hellion
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. Only a very little piece but I see it is very delicated. Perhaps I tell it to my dealer.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:03 AM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES! I have this problem....dealer said that Porsche rep has to see it and maybe it can be replaced. If not it is a 600+ part as the buttons cannot be replaced alone just the whole wheel! let me know what you heard from your dealers...almost all buttons are peeling and it looks like crap!
Old 06-10-2005, 01:24 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JARO
I have this problem....almost all buttons are peeling and it looks like crap!
I've forgotten about this issue.. but I have had my S now two years (47K+) with the gray interior and the buttons all have small white nick spots (last 6 months). I, too, think that it is pretty annoying to have happened so soon.. this is something you'd expect in a toyota/nissan after about 10 years on the "cheap" plastic dash components.

I'm going in Monday (again).. arghhh. My car all of a sudden is missing (no CK ENG light). We suspected bad fuel about a month ago.. but twice in a month??.. don't think so!! Now going to look at plugs (2-3 hours) and poss DME re-load (idle issues).

I will ask my DEALER who has really been great about this and report back here. I've been at my dealer so much that the GM (I am always nice) comes over and BS-es. So, I'll hit him about it too. Now, I'm really thinking ext. warranty or trading for one of the twelve '05's that they have sitting on the lot!
Old 06-10-2005, 03:52 PM
JARO
Pro

great....let us know!
Old 06-10-2005, 11:51 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Your dealer should warranty this. Its a defect in materials. As long as there are no huge scratches or something right where its peeling off you shouldnt have a problem getting this taken care of under warranty.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:09 PM
JARO
Pro

doesn't sound like that's the case...they want someone more senio to take a look at it...it's a shame to have a issue like this with a 60k+ SUV
Old 06-16-2005, 07:00 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JARO
doesn't sound like that's the case...they want someone more senio to take a look at it...it's a shame to have a issue like this with a 60k+ SUV
UPDATE: Called dealer today.

Can't believe it.. maybe its because my SUV has been in the shop for four days now and may not make it out tomorrow either (waiting on parts?!). but, the svc. rep. said the good news is that they replaced the buttons on the steering wheel for the volume/mute. I may have heard him wrong but said PCNA approved as it meant a new driver air bag too? Can that be right and no wonder they don't want to do it. Wonder if this was an appeasement for the lengthy stay.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:27 AM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All the buttons are attached to the airbag. New buttons, new airbag.

Quick Reply: steering wheel buttons paint peeling off