Sponsored by:

STEERING WHEEL VIBES

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Tomciui
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STEERING WHEEL VIBES

My '04 CT w/ 20" Continental's gives steering wheel vibrations starting at 70MPH. I had a tire guy do the Hunter Road Force balancing. There was a little improovment. I went back the next day. He switched the left and right front wheels. There was still a little more improovement. But, it's not perfect. I have probably 5,000 miles left on these tires. Are they worth trying to get right....or, am I better off biting the bullet and putting new rubber on w/ the hope of eliminating the vibrations? What's the consenus best tire in 20" size? Michelin, Pirelli, Continental? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:51 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Go with Michelin. The Conti's are infamous for vibration issues. I am on my second round of Michelins and have never experienced vibration with these tires. I did with my winter Dunlops and had them rebalanced which took away the vibration. You have spent too much money on a vehicle to not be fully satisfied with the smoothness of the ride.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:48 PM
dlipetz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tomciui
My '04 CT w/ 20" Continental's gives steering wheel vibrations starting at 70MPH. I had a tire guy do the Hunter Road Force balancing. There was a little improovment. I went back the next day. He switched the left and right front wheels. There was still a little more improovement. But, it's not perfect. I have probably 5,000 miles left on these tires. Are they worth trying to get right....or, am I better off biting the bullet and putting new rubber on w/ the hope of eliminating the vibrations? What's the consenus best tire in 20" size? Michelin, Pirelli, Continental? Thanks.
I've got exactly the same issue (vibration starting at ~70mph) which has gotten progressively worse, now very noticeable at 21K miles. I have the original 18" Continental M&S tires and they have plenty of tread left.

Dealer has been of little help, says that tires have short tread life (21K for M&S?).

Am I also better served by switching to Michelin?
Old 06-07-2005, 01:12 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 963 Likes on 587 Posts

No vibration issues with my winter Dunlops mounted on AT Italia wheels from Tirerack. No problems with 19" Pirellis from the factory though they're going to need to be replaced by this fall with about 14K on them now. Been happy with the Pirellis other than the wear issue...
Old 06-07-2005, 05:12 PM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read post about Road Force. Continentals were the worst vibration and I finally got rid of them at 16K (little early because noise/vibration). Bridgestones always had vibration but made it 22K before I changed. Have 10K on Michelin Diamaris - no vibration - great tire - will definitely get more than 20K - and I got Y rated. All 4 Michelins had RF <10. Good posts are on roadfly.org as well. Search Engine the term "road force balance" and you'll get the technical explanation from some of the tire sites.

MadFox
'04 CayS
Avatar (Positano, north end of Amalfi Coast)
Old 06-07-2005, 05:17 PM
Tomciui
4th Gear

It's Michelin Diamaris 275/40 YR 20 XL for the ' 04 CT, right? Reggie at The Tire Rack recommended style "N 1" rather than "N 0". Same price. $315
Old 06-07-2005, 11:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The N spec simply refers to the # of times the tire has been homologated by the manufacturer in that size.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Mav
Racer

no vibration on my Pirelli 20". I did get a lot ot vibration on Continental.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:38 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

personally, I don't feel that alignment/tire balance is at the crux of intermittent wheel shake. It has something to do with the servo that controls the variable assist power steering. You see, when the car is going at slower speeds, there is more power steering added. The faster you go less power is added to the steering. I get it occasionally at 71-72 mph. Since it's been warm weather finally, I hardly notice it at all. I have 20" Cayenne Sport design wheels with Michelins....By the way, I had my truck hunter aligned/balanced perfectly. Both camber and toe measurements were done to match exactly on both sides rather than the range to be w/in spec. Wheels were balance twice, so I don't by the wheel/alignment cause for vibration. If they are off by a good bit, then yes, it will exasterbate the situation, but the primary cause is something in the design/software of the variable assist power steering, imho
Old 06-10-2005, 01:33 AM
MadFox
Pepper Bartender
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockitman
personally, I don't feel that alignment/tire balance is at the crux of intermittent wheel shake. It has something to do with the servo that controls the variable assist power steering.
I assure you that for 95% of the folks it is the tire road force issue! Now, you may have a power steering issue (God knows that it seems there are enough unique problems with our beloved Cayennes).. but, after 38K and 3 different tires with road force actually being calculated on each set of tires and now having four under 10..... I have NO issues. Low Road force and buy Michelins are my mantras!! And I'm not a French company employee of ANY sort!
Old 06-16-2005, 10:16 AM
dlipetz
Advanced

Originally Posted by madfoxcays
I assure you that for 95% of the folks it is the tire road force issue! Now, you may have a power steering issue (God knows that it seems there are enough unique problems with our beloved Cayennes).. but, after 38K and 3 different tires with road force actually being calculated on each set of tires and now having four under 10..... I have NO issues. Low Road force and buy Michelins are my mantras!! And I'm not a French company employee of ANY sort!
I may to replace my 18" Continentals (M&S) as I have bad front end vibration and front tires are wearing at only 21K miles.

What is the preferred Michelin M&S 18" tire?
Old 06-16-2005, 10:58 AM
1988carrera
Instructor

my pirelli scorpions are completely worn at 18k...getting Yoko Geolander tomorrow.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:03 AM
jase700
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the Toyo Proxes for my 19's. They ride great. get some steering wheel vibration only on certain roads, but on I-95, the ride is smooth as it can be even at 80+ mph. I've found that most of my road vibration is coming from the road surface and not the balance.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:56 AM
trozenhorse
Racer

i have the same problem with continental cross contact on 20's......sometimes it is perfect ...sometimes little vibration....sometimes more.....making me crazy...had the wheels checked 3 times....any other ideas what it can be.??? also have eibach springs.....help!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:31 PM
Sammamish
Advanced

I have Conti (18') and have slight vibration that I'm living with for the time being.
I will be replacing the tires in about 6 months or so. Getting something that has low probabilty of vibrating would be a priority but ride comfort is another big factor.

Which tire rides most softly?

Quick Reply: STEERING WHEEL VIBES