Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing - Weight Distribution or Weight Carrying???

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 02:03 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Towing - Weight Distribution or Weight Carrying???

I have read alot of the threads on brake controller wiring - I will try to get my brake controller installed this week - but I was wondering if anyone out there uses a weight distribution hitch while towing with their Cayenne. I will be towing a 20' Featherlite enclosed trailer with a GT3, 2 extra sets of wheels, and some tools inside. I will weigh the trailer, but I estimate it to be approx. 6500 - 7000 pounds. I just ordered a tongue weight scale (Sherline) so I can measure that as well. But any help would be greatly appreciated. Anyone else tow their enclosed car hauler with their Cayenne?
Old 04-19-2005, 03:43 AM
Cannoli
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Though I don't have a Cayenne yet, I have owned a similar configuration - 88 Ford Bronco (shortened F-150 frame) and a Logan 2-Horse plus Tack Room Trailer. The Bronco has approximately the same wheel base as the Cayenne and the Logan was approximately the same length as the Featherlite you are describing.

Towing with a short wheel base vehicle as in the Cayenne (or Bronco) will promote "porpoising" if one does not use a weight distribution hitch (WDH). Using a WDH will place (distribute) more weight to the front axles. This will provide increased stability. After I installed the WDH, I could not believe how stable the Truck/Trailer tracked.

Though the towing vehicle should have good brakes, the trailer should have electric/hydraulic brakes rated for the GVWR of the trailer.

Here are a couple of links to discuss this further:

http://www.draw-tite.com/info/info/info_wgtdist.shtml
http://www.hitchesonline.com/WD/wd_main.htm#Weight
http://www.towingworld.com/catalog/WDHitch/index.html
Old 04-19-2005, 09:07 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Matt,
I tow my Cup car with a 20' enclosed aluminum (Cargopro), 2500# trailer and 2700# car = ~5200#. My Cayenne has PASM and I tow in 'normal/normal'. I get 10mpg or so. It is quite stable and not a concern when towing. (No, it's not like towing with my bride's 2005 Excursion Diesel, but it is fine)

I am well under the Cayenne tow capacity limit, which has changed a few times (IIRC, it's now 7716# tow capacity and 617# tongue weight?)
It sounds as though you will be close to the capacity limit.
(BTW, the Sherline scale is a good acquisition for learning where to put things with respect to tongue weight. Of course, Porsche designed the 911's to be tongue weight friendly!)

There are some other members of the forum who tow with their Cayenne:
skl, JFScheck. You could ask them to chime in or send them a PM.

As has been discussed numerous times in the beginning, PAG does NOT recommend using anyting other than their standard trailer hitch. NO weight distributing hitch nor sway bars. IIRC, this is also mentioned in the owner's manual as well, page 188)

As far as brake controllers go, install with anytihing other than a Prodigy is straight forward (4pin connector under dash); the Prodigy needs slightly different wiring to the brake switch directly (diagnostics conflicts).
Start with reading these:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...ad.php?t=189872
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforu...ad.php?t=186064

Best of luck.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:50 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 935 Likes on 566 Posts

I tow a 18' V nose ATC (aluminum) enclosed trailer so far with a spec Miata though also plan on towing the GT3 with a CS and the factory hitch in low or normal ride height. Shift manually and usually run in 5th unless I have a REAL good tailwind. It is sensitive to tongue weight, but when I moved my mouned rains around inside the trailer (not all in the V to reduce tongue weight) it made a big difference. I had to disconnect several of the running lights to make them work- it still throws an error and keeps on the ! on the dash, but the lights otherwise work fine. I'll try and enclose a picture of the setup.
http://images9.fotki.com/v169/photos...SCN2510-vi.jpg

rrdfrdfwbkgrfs
Old 04-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mentioned PAG does not reccomend using anything other than the factory hitch. The air suspensions self leveling and geometry were designed to do the job without the PIA wieght distributing hitches. I haven't pulled anything as large as you with the CS (have a big truck for big trailers) but my CS pulls a 4000lb boat perfectly. My biggest concern is mirrors. I had the CSP stop me for pulling my enclosed snowmobile trailer this winter. He snuck into my blind spot and hit the lights. When I noticed oncoming traffic pulling off I knew what he was up to. The law he quoted me was that you have to be able to see what is 200 ft behind you in your mirrors.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

To date, I have been unable to locate any suitable mirror extentions for a Cayenne.
The only thing I've come across is the **** universal extention mirrors, and I'm not impressed.
The search continues...
Old 04-19-2005, 02:01 PM
skl
Rennlist Member

I haven't found any good mirror extentions either and they're ugly as hell anyway. Just REAL careful changing lanes, etc. Made it through Kansas City in rush hour in one piece so I figure it's passable, just won't go to California!
Old 04-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by skl
Shift manually and usually run in 5th unless I have a REAL good tailwind.
What's the general thought here about towing in auto vs. manual mode? I normally leave it in auto and just give the throttle a good kick-down going up hills if needed, or sometimes I'll use the tip button on the steering wheel to get a downshift.

I have an open Trailex and tow the 951 with an extra set of wheels/tires on the rack, so the total weight is a little over 4000 lbs. The Cay-S pulls fine from a stop, starting in 2nd gear in auto mode. I haven't seen anything in the owners manual that recommends manual vs. auto mode for towing a trailer.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:02 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Renn 951
What's the general thought here about towing in auto vs. manual mode? I normally leave it in auto and just give the throttle a good kick-down going up hills if needed, or sometimes I'll use the tip button on the steering wheel to get a downshift.

I have an open Trailex and tow the 951 with an extra set of wheels/tires on the rack, so the total weight is a little over 4000 lbs. The Cay-S pulls fine from a stop, starting in 2nd gear in auto mode. I haven't seen anything in the owners manual that recommends manual vs. auto mode for towing a trailer.
My experience towing in auto is; the trans kicks to a lower gear frequently - especially going up in altitude. My Jeep was a lot worse.

the S seems to be OK on the flats, but alt still needs manual. My load is 6,000lb (boat)
Old 04-20-2005, 01:39 AM
skl
Rennlist Member

I think it is best towing in manual mode and starting in 1st with a load. Otherwise it would be shifting by itself all the time. I used to tow with first a Dodge Ram (which I'd take out of OD) and then a GMC 2500 with the tow mode but it had the huge V8 and would tow my house if I wanted to. The Cayenne is obviously a lot nicer to drive when not towing compared to the GMC. IMHO, shift yourself.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:41 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I agree, manual mode seems to suit towing better, especially if you are near any hills.
The CS lacks sufficient torque to make 6th reall worthwihle unless you're on flat highway cruising......unless of course you get up on the RPM/Torque curve, but then you are 75-80mph+. 5th is fine for 60-65mph, 4th gear you can accelerate up hills up around 4kRPM....kind of weird feeling to be accelerating up a hill while towing!
My bride's Excursion diesel could tow the Cayenne AND the trailer/Cup car and do it in automatic mode, but as skl said, the Cayenne (when it's not in the shop ) is nicer to drive.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:05 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
the Cayenne (when it's not in the shop ) is nicer to drive.
LOL! Mine goes in the shop tomorrow for the first time other than to get some TSB's done. Air bag fault light came on last weekend.

I'll make a point of using the tip mode and manual shifting when I leave Sunday to tow the 951 down to VIR and see how that compares to full auto mode.

Old 04-21-2005, 01:17 AM
gjb
Addict
Rennlist Member

Torags,

Buried deep in the Cayenne manual is the wording regarding tow capacity and altitude. If I recall, you lose 10% per ~3,000 ft of elevation. If you are pulling that 6,000 lb boat up to Tahoe and Donner Summit is what 8,000ft? You are down 30% of rated capacity - thus the extended downshifts......

It's a 40% hit on most Colorado passes/tunnels if you take the manual at face-value. Something not discussed in the showroom..........

Grant
Old 04-21-2005, 01:29 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

I agree. That's why I use manual going up the hill (&down). My Jeep used to scream (4500-4800 rpm - 3rd gear). Much better with the Pepper.

I use auto on the flats & never mash...

I remember the story of an early CT owner, mashing to pass while towing & blowing his transmission (don't know if true, but a good lesson)
Old 04-21-2005, 10:20 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Renn 951
LOL! Mine goes in the shop tomorrow for the first time other than to get some TSB's done. Air bag fault light came on last weekend.
My Cayenne has been in the shop more than all my other previous vehicles put together (folder at home is over 1" thick so far). It has been in since last Friday for a recurring Check Engine Light; currently waiting for parts.

Fortunately, my dealer is one of the few who actually do deserve all 10's, so I suppose things could be worse.

Quick Reply: Towing - Weight Distribution or Weight Carrying???