Sponsored by:

Cayenne S Vs Tour-n-a-egg V10 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 06:24 PM
Curt911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne S Vs Tour-n-a-egg V10 TDI

I am seriously considering the TDI, but have not been able to drive one.

My local dealer (the dumb sales guy) says "you'll never see one of them in stock at any dealer, they're $100k" (only thing he wanted to do was sell what they had in stock, and I do have another dealer not too far that I will call first). I will not buy one without being able to test drive one first so I wanted to know if any of you have driven one, and if so what dealership has them and keeps them "in stock". I will prob. order it to suit my needs but I don't want to patronize a dealer that won't stock it.

Anyone else comparing these 2, any other feedback?
Old 03-24-2005, 06:56 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

VW has withdrawn the TDI from the NA market, because of incomplete EPA testing for 05. This test was not completed in time to continue selling MY05. However, the word is that there will be an 06 version when the EPA completes the testing for MY06. When that happens you should be able to do a comparison. Diesel is a whole different kettle of fish, it would make more sense to compare the VW V-8 and the Cayenne S (IMO).
Old 03-24-2005, 07:26 PM
Curt911
Pro

Originally Posted by Colm
VW has withdrawn the TDI from the NA market, because of incomplete EPA testing for 05. This test was not completed in time to continue selling MY05. However, the word is that there will be an 06 version when the EPA completes the testing for MY06. When that happens you should be able to do a comparison. Diesel is a whole different kettle of fish, it would make more sense to compare the VW V-8 and the Cayenne S (IMO).
I understand diesel is different, just curious if anyone else was between the 2. I would not consider the V-8 VW, I'd rather have the Porsche. Really I'd rather have the Porsche with the TDI if it performs like what has been claimed.

So did any of them make it here? Gee you'd think the sales guy would have known that... Thanks for the reply
Old 03-24-2005, 08:21 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

Our dealer did have at least one- I didn't get to drive it but heard from my salesman (who sells me all my Audis) that it had unreal torque. I seriously considered getting it as I'm towing an enclosed trailer but figured if I was going to spend that much I may as well get the Porsche! I wasn't aware they weren't bringing any more in this year. Too bad as I don't think the V6 or V8's are selling that well even though they are a nice vehicle- just not a P-car.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:54 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

consider fuel supply. It takes diesel #1. Very few US stations have it.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:56 PM
DEETZ22
Racer

it has so much torque... almost double Cayenne S
Old 03-25-2005, 12:19 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Question, are you towing something that needs all that torque because the premium on Diesel and the extra cost of maintence will eat up the minimal "savings" you would see in the fuel savings?

Last edited by JFScheck; 03-25-2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:45 AM
hamiam
Instructor

Extra cost of maintenance? I have a diesel in my boat. Its my understanding that diesel engines, given clean fuel and air, are alot less to maintain. Hence, their use in high mileage applications like semis.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Mark Weisser
Cruisin'

Perhaps I can help here.

I had ordered one of the very first V10 TouringEggs in the US.

It was delivered, I drove it, and it was pretty darn good. Awesome
torque, typical Vw / Touareg ride, etc.

But.

$63K. No discount. A VW. What if it breaks? Especially in, let's
say, Big Bend?

So I had to think about it. While doing so, stopped in at
Momentum Porsche (Houston) and drove the S.

I never went back.

They had a nice slightly used one, offered a nice discount.

I have never regretted that at all.

And I do pull a pretty good size trailer. And take it off road.

If you like the way a Porsche drives, the VW won't make you
happy -- it's really good, but softer around the edges.

And the diesel doesn't make sexy Porsche V8 sounds.

So -- a $60K VW or a $60K Porsche?

I know I made the right choice. I hope you do too.

And I hope this helps.

Best,

- Mark
Old 03-25-2005, 09:55 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove the TDI T-egg. It was awesome. The comments about maintenance and fuel are a bit absurd to me. Diesel fuel is readily available and maintenance on diesels is typically a lot less (like 500k engines, etc).

The torque was awesome, the fuel economy is awesome for what it is, the whole truck was awesome. The problem is the price. If this were a $40k truck, it would be undeniably the best thing going. But at $60k, I'd rather have a Porsche myself. That's a lot of clams...
Old 03-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Brent 89-GT
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are some problems with Bosch's new High Pressure Common Rail (HPCR) fuel system. MB has had a bunch of trouble with it on the 400CDi engine, even on Europes supposedly cleaner diesel, and it has been giving fits to domestic truck owners with Bosch HPCR systems in turbodiesel trucks, especially GMs duramax.

That said, I am not sure if this is the system used on the V10. If it is, I would definately not take my chances and buy the V8 Cayenne. If they are the same money as you guys mention, then it is a no-brainer.

Also consider that diesel fuel is not cheap right now, about on par with premium in my area. I don't think the milage increase will be there either, especially if you USE the power.

Then on maint., these days gas engines need very little. Spark plugs now go for 60-100k miles. On the diesel fuel is the current issue and I am changing fuel filters on my TD trucks every 10k miles. So you give a little and gain a little.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:00 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 941 Likes on 572 Posts

We don't have the low sulfur diesel fuel here that they do in Europe so I don't know long term what that would mean concerning maintenance. Unfortunately we don't get a lot of the really good oil-burners here that they sell in Europe. And they ARE NOT slow! (A friend of mine in the 70's had a Peugot diesel- great mileage as we went to several PCA tech sessions in it but it was SLOW...)
Old 03-25-2005, 11:06 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hamiam
Extra cost of maintenance? I have a diesel in my boat. Its my understanding that diesel engines, given clean fuel and air, are alot less to maintain. Hence, their use in high mileage applications like semis.
I am a fan of diesel's and have two in my boat and a few in my trucks, it's always the same, maintenance work costs more then gasoline engines and for no reason!

I presume it will be the same with the VW's...
Old 03-25-2005, 11:38 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I've own/had 3 PowerStroke diesels from Ford, never a single problem.

Diesels are known for torque, reliability and engine life (250K without even a concern).

I never had an issue regarding fuel here in the Northeast, even with blended diesel when it gets cold. Plenty of good truck stops. My wife's Excursions can go 800+ miles (not towing) on a single 44 gallon tank fill, so I dont' think I'll be caught looking for a station; even towing I can go from Boston to Watkins Glen with the trailer/Cup car and NOT stop for fuel. With the Cayenne S, I can't go more than 220 miles without needing to stop (26 gallon tank).

Due to business disagreements between VAG and PAG (over chassis royalties on the 'stretch' Cayenne/Touareg chassis', PAG will never be given access to VAG diesels.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:27 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

I had diesel cars in the 80's (MBZ). A couple of the issues that bothered me was slow pick up (VW solved that) and they were cold nosed starters. They don't like cold weather. The high compression is a load on the battery. Now couple this with e drive and all the electronics they have and it could be a problem.

I've had three dead batteries on my S after rainy, night city driving with everything on. Apparently the voltage regulator starts charging above what I had driven and the battery couldn't start the S.

"Due to business disagreements between VAG and PAG (over chassis royalties on the 'stretch' Cayenne/Touareg chassis', PAG will never be given access to VAG diesels."

Lewis what do you think of the rumors of a VW/PAG 4 door sedan?

Quick Reply: Cayenne S Vs Tour-n-a-egg V10 TDI