Sponsored by:

PCM scrolling for POI's & Street names, etc

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Biz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM scrolling for POI's & Street names, etc

Got my '05 CS a few weeks ago and have PCM question. Anyone aware of whether or not there is a better way to scroll thru POI's and street names than simply turning the rotary **** and going 1 at a time (i.e. let's say I want to find directions to a restaurant in a city, and a gazillion restaurants are in that city, it appears that I need to scroll thru starting in the A's, 1 restaurant at a time which is a painful process if the restaurant starts with a letter later in the alphabet). I looked thru PCM manual and can't find an alternative to rotary ****.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:34 PM
tjm
8th Gear

You're not the only one, I can't find anything either.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:56 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Can't answer you specific question, but I imagine the **** is the only way to scroll. What I would do is call the restaurant and ask for their street address.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:58 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

excellent question. I have only used it twice (I usually know where I'm going LOL!) but hearing the Porsche Factory Babe giving you directions is nice. I too wonder about a search rather than scroll feature...
Old 01-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Biz
Track Day

Good idea Sloth. Though it would obviously be nice to not have to go thru that extra step while on the road ... just hard to believe that there isn't something more intuitive built into a modern nav system. Perhaps we are all missing it, but I don't think so. Someone please prove us wrong! With that said, I'm not bitchin'... the truck is awesome.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:58 PM
SF CAYENNE S 05
Intermediate

Our nav system just plain sucks that all for the price we pay it should be atleast touch screen like the lexus, or atleast provide a scroll list i too regret every buying the nav unit, should of went with an aftermarket model.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:49 PM
Biz
Track Day

I just sent an email to Navteq. I have to imagine that this is something that is partially correctable in a subsequent DVD release where they could either give you the ability to search via input of restaurant name, etc, or at the VERY LEAST include the ability to page forward or backward like I had in my MB CLK CD based system (CLK system sucked much worse than the DVD based Cayenne system, trust me (no street names displayed on map, etc). Agree that Lexus has a great DVD based, touchscreen system as we have '04 Landcruiser with same system (though it's nice PCM allows you (er...I mean passenger) to input destination while moving, where our Landcrusier system you must be stopped to enter destination. I'll post everyone when I get a response from Navteq.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:24 AM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Or, another idea (stolen from Honda's system) would be to find a site by inputing their phone number.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:58 PM
dlipetz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Biz
I just sent an email to Navteq. I have to imagine that this is something that is partially correctable in a subsequent DVD release where they could either give you the ability to search via input of restaurant name, etc, or at the VERY LEAST include the ability to page forward or backward like I had in my MB CLK CD based system (CLK system sucked much worse than the DVD based Cayenne system, trust me (no street names displayed on map, etc). Agree that Lexus has a great DVD based, touchscreen system as we have '04 Landcruiser with same system (though it's nice PCM allows you (er...I mean passenger) to input destination while moving, where our Landcrusier system you must be stopped to enter destination. I'll post everyone when I get a response from Navteq.
NavTeq is just a content provider. It's the software in the PCM head unit that requires modification to enable page down scrolling or at least zipping ahead in the alphabet by scrolling to a letter. So that would be Porsche and/or Becker.

I too find this feature nearly useless. I was in Philly trying to find a restaurant that started with the letter T. After twirling that **** for ages, I gave up and called 411 on my cell. User interface not well thought through for this feature.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:25 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 963 Likes on 587 Posts

I"ve found the nav very helpful when in non-familiar locations, but it is not user friendly. My Audi salesman, who also sells Acuras couldn't wait to show me the new voice activated system in the Acura. I'm no fan of Japanese cars, but their nav system is LIGHTYEARS ahead of ours...and why did a satellite radio option only become available this year???
Old 01-25-2005, 10:40 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So in the voice activated system in the Acura, if someone in the car blurts out something like "Go to Hell" does the Nav system plot the driving route?

Quick Reply: PCM scrolling for POI's & Street names, etc