Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So my brakes stopped working in the snow..

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005 | 09:49 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin M.
going 5 MPH in thick snow ... Also suprisingly the airbags did not deploy!
Airbags only deploy at 20-30 mph or some much higher speed, no?
Old 01-02-2005 | 11:57 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I believe redundant accelerometers are employed in most airbag deployment designs.
This would allow for deployment in an impact where you are not moving and someone drives directly into the front of your car (or a side impact if so equipped).
Think change in velocity, not absolute velocity.

This is most likely the reason why airbags would/did not deploy in a 'slow' rollover. You are dealing with the derivative not the integral of velocity; so you could put your Cayenne on a rotisserie and spin it (about any axis really) and you would not deploy airbags.

(sorry, back in the 80's, I designed inertial sensors for most weapons systems...most of which sit in their silos quietly waiting)
Old 01-02-2005 | 01:38 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Lewis, "sorry" not necessary. Thanks for the information...
Old 01-02-2005 | 11:32 PM
JeffES
Pro

Lewis,
You are spot on. These SRS sensors "arm" at somewhere around 3G's, and "trigger" at higher levels.
The original post revisits a question that really plagued product planners - namely, how does one achieve the demanded high speed dry weather performance whilst giving some "utility", especially in poor weather. Unfortunatly, there's no good answer (BTW - the BMW X5 tire is NOT rated to the same top speed as the Cayenne), so the decision was taken to advise purchasers/owners of the need to fit proper tires for a given scenario. With personal experience, the "summer" tire set gave very reduced grip during a recent "cold snap" (lows in single digits). Since I've taken up storage space with winter tires for the Box, I don't have good snows for the CS, so I leave it alone in very poor weather. Once the Box goes away (after next summer the lease is up), I'll spring for a good set of winter wheels/tires.
J
PS - here's a thought - invent a tire that can handle 2+ tons and 500hp on a track AND stay flexible in cold temps & snow. You'll make $$$
Old 01-03-2005 | 08:25 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

V-rated Pirelli Scorpions - will not get to the highest speeds the C is capable of but will get past 100+ and still remain flexible in cold temps & snow
Old 01-03-2005 | 08:35 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Torags
If you drive 70 on the freeways with your Pepper - Park it and buy a 4runner. You thru your money away.

I have my fun in the turns. If you just mash the gas in a straight line, buy a Mustang Cobra, 'casue you threw your money away
Old 01-03-2005 | 08:45 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pesky 914
I have my fun in the turns. If you just mash the gas in a straight line, buy a Mustang Cobra, 'casue you threw your money away
Oh, I thought everyone went more than 70 in the turns on two wheels or four..

Quick Reply: So my brakes stopped working in the snow..