Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So my brakes stopped working in the snow..

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004 | 12:45 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

First turn off your PSM and you might be able to better control the truck. If you're on ice or icy hardpack - siping doesn't help, only studs that carve into ice, do.

This PSM thru me for a loop, it might have been your problem.
Old 12-30-2004 | 01:30 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

scott-you seem to not want to say what tires you are using, but if you are using 19" performance rubber, than i agree with everyone else. in the cold weather, those tires act like round metal discs. since you can't get any friction when you hit your breaks in the slippery stuff, your abs will continue to prevent lock up, thus they will continue to pulse and you will continue to slide. if this is the case, buy softer m+s or winter rubber, and then you will get the friction and traction to stop and let your abs work for you.
Old 12-30-2004 | 08:46 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by docjackson1
scott-you seem to not want to say what tires you are using, but if you are using 19" performance rubber, than i agree with everyone else. in the cold weather, those tires act like round metal discs. since you can't get any friction when you hit your breaks in the slippery stuff, your abs will continue to prevent lock up, thus they will continue to pulse and you will continue to slide. if this is the case, buy softer m+s or winter rubber, and then you will get the friction and traction to stop and let your abs work for you.
I have 19s with Yokohamas, and they work fine in the snow. It's about the same as the wife's Volo XC with all seasons.
Old 12-30-2004 | 05:58 PM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I am sorry but I find it hard to believe that some Cayenne owners are driving around in winter in the snow and ice on summer tyres.
Quite unbelievable. Porsche published a booklet a couple of winters ago showing why you need to be on winter tyres in winter.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Old 12-30-2004 | 06:05 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

They will learn the hard way
Old 12-30-2004 | 06:08 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

adrian.. You have to read the book...........

Unless there is a TSB on ESP........
Old 12-30-2004 | 06:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by M-Phibian
Offroad - To clarify, you're essentially saying that since the tires I have have on my Cayenne have so little traction in the snow...my ABS and PSM are working overtime to compensate for the lack of traction?

That makes sense, and it very well may be the answer....but then why does my wife's X3 not act in a similiar manner? Her tires are not snow tires either. ..yet when her ABS kicks in it does not provide nearly the same vibrating feel as the Pepper does.
How about this?
Why not go out, write down the tire sidewall information for the tires on the Cayenne and the X3, post it, and in about 10 seconds you'll have your answer.
(Hint: If you see a Snowflake Symbol on the sidewall, you get extra credit)
Old 12-30-2004 | 09:08 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Apparently Porsche is the only company who's $60,000.00 AWD vehicle needs snow tires in order to drive correctly in the snow. Every other AWD or 4WD vehicle I've owned over the last 18 years since I've been driving did perfectly fine. I've had Jeeps, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, Audi's, Ranger Rovers and BMWs...*none* of them with snow tires....and they all did perfectly fine in Washington State snow without snow tires. But yet, I need them for my Cayenne in Virginia with far less snow?

Now I've heard it all.

Originally Posted by Adrian
I am sorry but I find it hard to believe that some Cayenne owners are driving around in winter in the snow and ice on summer tyres.
Quite unbelievable. Porsche published a booklet a couple of winters ago showing why you need to be on winter tyres in winter.
Ciao,
Adrian.

Last edited by M-Phibian; 12-30-2004 at 10:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2004 | 09:26 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by M-Phibian
Apparently Porsche is the only company who's $60,000.00 AWD vehicle needs snow tires in order to drive correctly in the snow. Every other AWD or 4WD vehicle I've owned over the last 18 years since I've been driving did perfectly fine. I've had Jeeps, Toyotas, Chevy's, Fords, Audi's, Ranger Rovers and BMW's...*none* of them with snow tires....and they all did perfectly fine in Washington State snow without snow tires. But yet, I need them for my Cayenne in Virginia with half the snow?

Now I've heard it all.
How many of the cars you mention go 130-160mph? The original S & TT were "spec"ed for those speeds. That entailed performance plus tires for an SUV. Which in my opinion were too performance oriented (wide and sticky). I'm going down to H tires next time round.

Additionally how many of them were over 5,000lb? Laws of physics still rule.......

Old 12-30-2004 | 09:43 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

My Ford Excursion weighed in at 9,200 lbs. I never had snow tires on it, drove it in 2 winters that had deeper, slicker snow than I had here in VA...and never once had the problems I had with my Cayenne in only one night of relatively light snowfall. The same can be said for my other vehicles as well. One of which was a Chevy Suburban which weighed over 5,000 lbs.

I'm not doubting the Cayenne's performance on the road. It's the best SUV I've ever driven or owned when it comes to that...bar none. But all the posters saying you "must have snow tires" on a AWD vehicle that has arguably the most technologically advanced AWD and stability sytem in existance...in order to drive it in 3 inches of snow, when "lesser" vehicles are handling much deeper snow on their stock *non* snow tires far better...is ludicrous.

I don't know...maybe you guys are right. Maybe I need snow tires. But the fact that my BMW M5, with it's 200+ speed rated performance tires and RWD, does better than my Cayenne does with it's performance tires in the snow...well that just bothers me to no end.

Last edited by M-Phibian; 12-30-2004 at 10:16 PM.
Old 12-30-2004 | 09:57 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Adrian
Ciao,
Adrian.
Would it be better with dedicated snow tires? Of course. Do you have to have them? In my opinion, no. I drove my Boxster S on summer tires for one winter, and that was unliveable, mostly because it would get stuck. My Cayenne with 19s can get up the steep hill in my neighborhood no problem in the snow. In fact, when I first drove it, I purposely stopped 1/2 way up the hill just to see how it would do. No slipping, no issue. Granted, I do have quite a bit of snow driving experience between my days in Minneapolis, Ottawa and in upstate NY.

Originally Posted by Torags
How many of the cars you mention go 130-160mph?
Driving those speeds on public roads in the summer is dangerous, let alone in winter conditions. I drive a reasonable speed (~70 on the highway) if the conditions permit. If they don't, I slow down.
Old 12-30-2004 | 10:00 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

So, I take it the tires are summer type.

I drove this morning from Portland to Bend with snow on the road with some freezing fog and black ice. I have 18's with Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snows and love them. I use the ABS, in a safe area, to see how slippery the road surface is. Just love the ol' pepper in the snow!
Old 12-30-2004 | 10:07 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Sorry but you need to consider what you just said. The Ford and Chevy pass their weight to the road thru small cross section tires, therefore you are getting full benefit of their weight.

The Cayenne in comparison passes a much smaller weight to the road (per square inch) yet it has the body weight above the road = inertia = something your not used to. The M does not have the weight.

If you do not increase the weight per square inch and/or take into consideration longer stopping distances you will crash as some did last winter. Anyone still got the photos ?
Old 12-30-2004 | 10:20 PM
M-Phibian
Instructor

Points taken. And as frustrated as I am about hearing them, as well as the fact that my SUV *needs* snow tires...I appreciate everyone sharing their advice.
Old 12-30-2004 | 10:34 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pesky 914
Driving those speeds on public roads in the summer is dangerous, let alone in winter conditions. I drive a reasonable speed (~70 on the highway) if the conditions permit. If they don't, I slow down.
I didn't suggest that folks should drive those speeds, I suggested that PAG specified equipment for those speeds.

If you drive 70 on the freeways with your Pepper - Park it and buy a 4runner. You thru your money away.

Quick Reply: So my brakes stopped working in the snow..