Sponsored by:

Cayenne vs. Touareg

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 03:55 PM
REGURU
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne vs. Touareg

I am about to get rid of my Touareg V8 because of all of the problems that I have been having and had a couple of questions for you guys. The only other truck I am considering is a Cayenne S, but want to make sure I am not going from the frying pan to the fire. Do the later build CS's have many of the bugs worked out of them? If so, what if any manufacturing date should I look to buy after? Should I even consider a leftover 04 or just get an 05? Also, I am real tired of dealing with VW dealers and was wondering if the service experience is better at Porsche? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 92 Posts

I had an early build 04 that I bought brand new. It had some of the usual problems- throttle lag & poor range on the key remote. After it was in for service recalls the vehicle was perfect. I traded it in for a Cayenne turbo beacause I loved it so much. Had the same issues with the turbo but again the service recalls took care of all my complaints.
It seems like others here have had issues that the service recalls could not take care of. I don't know if their complains are legitimate or not.
I have had great luck with both vehicles and could not be happier driving a Cayenne.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
REGURU,
You are jumping from the frying pan into molten lava, although Porsche will make you feel nicer about it than VW.

You're likely to experience similar issues, although I would guess Porsche service will be far superior to VW service (I had an Audi S4 and dumped it simply due to the service departments).
The platforms are very similar and Porsche doesn't do electronics, they are all VAG or it's suppliers.

My Cayenne has been so far below expectations, I may end up sending it to a car crusher and videotape it, just for grins. The car is an ongoing disappointment and is the sole reason I chose not to buy the Carrera GT (not that Porsche could care). But, that's just me.

The Cayenne fulfilled all of Porsches objectives, and owner satisfaction was not one of them.

Truble10,
Most of the rennlist members who post problems or complaints seem quite legitimate and sincere.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:51 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

When I was deciding in Sept '03; I opted for the S & pay more - rather than deal with VW dealers. I'm glad I did. My 7/03 build is lightly optioned PASM w 18" wheels. It came w 19's and had the dealer pull them.

I have had the wheel alignment problem (PCNA replaced tires @ 16K) and niggling little issues. Rear window adjustment and Euro trailer receptacle replacement. Oil changed at 16K and had all updated electronic TSB's done then.

With over 20K the truck is a charmer that is used for construction work daily (do I have rear seats?) and I tow a 6,000K boat load weather permitting.

My favorite SUV were my previous Jeeps - but this is the only one I desire to drive. It's a kick and it winds up real easy.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:56 PM
Harbormaster
Instructor

I have had a late build 2004 TT for a year now. It has been the best motoring experience I can remember in years and years. My experience with the S has been limited to the 2-3 times my dealer has picked up my TT for change of tires ,oil change, etc and I was very impressed with the S left on those occassions.......The S is not thr TT as a non turbo coupe is not a turboed one.....period. Just had a one year service including oil change plus 3 updates by Porsche and my hot honey is ready to go again. The dealer can make or break the experience......mine is 45 miles from me.....there are 3 closer ones......my choice was providential for me. Service with a smile.....no redoes ever. Oh yes the 1 year service with oil change was just over $200. If the dealer isn't up to the product he is selling than you aren't buying the product you thought you were buying.......PERIOD.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:18 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Reguru,

As far as customer satisfaction goes, our '05 TT hits a 10. I can't think of anything I'd change, except styling perhaps. The looks grow on you but don't knock your socks off like a 911 or CGT.

ltc,

I'm not calling you out by any means, but how does a bad experience with a Cayenne S prevent you from buying a Carrera GT? You've got your reasons and maybe it's just guilt by (brand) association. However, if I had >$400k allocated towards a car right now, I can't think of another new car I'd like instead. Let alone, a car from the same company that is 1/6th that cost and a first attempt SUV at that, preventing me from buying a sports car from one of sports cars' premiere manufacturers. Just me. It was just a curious remark...that's all.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:04 PM
ozr
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by REGURU
...The only other truck I am considering is a Cayenne S, but want to make sure I am not going from the frying pan to the fire. Do the later build CS's have many of the bugs worked out of them? If so, what if any manufacturing date should I look to buy after? Should I even consider a leftover 04 or just get an 05?
If you get 2004 CayS with VIN ending >= ...LA68*** you'll be fine and safe with minor car updates. I have one of them...

All 2005 CayS are safe bet.

P dealer IS better, than VW and Audi, but INSECURE worse, than Lexus, MB and BMW...but acceptable...

...car is GREAT...get it, it's joy will erase all minor inconveniences...

Old 12-19-2004, 06:38 PM
REGURU
Advanced

Default Chicago area dealers

Thanks for all of your help! I can handle some minor problems here and there that can be fixed, but what I can't handle is the monthly visits to the dealer and they can't seem to fix the problems or they say VW is working on a fix and it will be out soon. It seems a good dealer is half the battle.

Does anyone here know of a Porsche dealer with great service in the Chicago area?
Old 12-19-2004, 06:52 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phantomias33
I'm not calling you out by any means, but how does a bad experience with a Cayenne S prevent you from buying a Carrera GT? You've got your reasons and maybe it's just guilt by (brand) association. However, if I had >$400k allocated towards a car right now, I can't think of another new car I'd like instead. Let alone, a car from the same company that is 1/6th that cost and a first attempt SUV at that, preventing me from buying a sports car from one of sports cars' premiere manufacturers. Just me. It was just a curious remark...that's all.
I'm not he, but if my dealer would have refunded my deposit I wouldn't have taken the CGT either. And, it was LARGELY owing to the grave dissatisfaction with the POS CT we own. The logic goes something like this: Porsche made a schitty vehicle with VERY common concerns amongst many many owners and has to date failed to remedy them. If they can't get it right on a mass produced volume vehicle like the Cayenne (the M96 engine RMS issue - 6 model years and counting - is but another example of their mass failure), how can we be assured they'll do a better job with the much more limited production CGT with which they have tons less R&D and experience? I understand his CGT reservations based on his crap CT he received and Porsche's lame **** attempts to fix it. How Porsche designs, builds, and services one vehicle is extremely relevant to ALL of their vehicles.

PS. Early indications are that there are some pretty nasty 997 early model issues as well. Time will tell if they FINALLY got the RMS issue fixed which through 2004 they had NOT. FWIW, I do find myself loving the CGT in the same way if not more so even that I did with my four years with my bulletproof 996 cab.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:57 PM
DEETZ22
Racer

its all based on luck, cayennes 04 first production have a lot of problems and thank God, mine never gives me that much headache
Old 12-19-2004, 07:32 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

I would have to disargee with just about everything Ben in the above post wrote. They have fixed the problems. It seems that you and one other person on this forum are the only ones not happy with the Cayenne. And to call it a ****ty vehicle goes too far!
Old 12-19-2004, 07:36 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Truble10
I would have to disargee with just about everything Ben in the above post wrote. They have fixed the problems. It seems that you and one other person on this forum are the only ones not happy with the Cayenne. And to call it a ****ty vehicle goes too far!
been to rennteam? we are NOT alone! when the main reason for spending an extra $50k over the S is power and that power is not available for at least a 1 second delay, that IS schitty.

the CT is the best $100k SUV that hesitates to the point of being a major safety concern (normal as per service dept), uses 1k oil every 1k miles (normal as per the service dept) and eats up tires every 6k miles (normal as per service dept). according to the service dept, not only am i not alone, but all this stuff is "normal". the other dealer in town has produced the same "success" on a friend of mines cayenne with regards to the hesitation issue as well. so apparently it is more a POS product than lame service depts.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:41 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

ben in lj-

I can follow your logic and it sounds like you've got more experience with Porsche vehicles than I. It would seem however that the argument could be made that a first production, first ever SUV that was a joint effort with VW would and ought to be very different from a years-in-design sports car. Porsche has a heritage in racing, not SUV-ing. Watching those guys in Leipzig so meticulously assemble and test those CGT's, I just can't imagine huge issues or lag concerns. It would seem a much more limited production could allow for greater scrutiny and quality control.

I follow your argument though. What it comes down to for me is I'm not willing to part with ~$200k just yet. As far as cars go, I usually just assume (albeit varying and perhaps innaccurate) that I'll lose half of whatever I spend. That's what prevents me from purchasing the CGT as of yet. And I have browsed the 997 boards and have held off because of issues people have brought up there.

I understand your reasoning though. I wasn't disagreeing with ltc as much as I was just wanting to understand better.

(*I actually ordered a mini cooper s conv. two weeks ago. Judging from it's HIGH resale, I plan on driving that for a year while I circle and wait for the 997S to get by those first year gremlins. The Mini's resale is unheard of. I can basically drive it at no loss for ~1 year)
Old 12-19-2004, 07:46 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phantomias33
It would seem however that the argument could be made that a first production, first ever SUV that was a joint effort with VW would and ought to be very different from a years-in-design sports car. Porsche has a heritage in racing, not SUV-ing. Watching those guys in Leipzig so meticulously assemble and test those CGT's, I just can't imagine huge issues or lag concerns.
This argument unfortuneately fails to address the 6 model year (and counting) RMS failure on the M96 motor (as crappy as BMW is about admitting and fixing mistakes, at least they extended the motor warranty on their grenading M3 motors to 100k miles and 10 years). Maybe the guys in the small CGT assembly dept should make all the M96 motors and help the engineers in the Cayenne design dept. Incidentally, Porsche hasn't contributed to it's racing history since 1998. Instead, they have moved to a more profitable customer "R&D" program.

PS. Porsche made the first 4X4 EVER for the German military decades ago. So they've been SUV'ing longer than any other manufacturer. But, there is no justifying the hienous hesitation of their V8s by simplying calling them "new SUVs". A motor is a motor.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Ben,
I don't know of anyone else having the problems you are having. Everything you mention has been taken care of by Porsche through recalls. Mine had some of the issues yours had but not anymore.
Why don't you get rid of it and quite complaining.

Quick Reply: Cayenne vs. Touareg