Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne vs. Touareg

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 08:52 PM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reguru, I bought my 03 S at the Loeber Motors in Lincolnwood. They are building new facilities and soon will be the larges dealer in Chicago. Good folks and great mechanics. Parts department willing to deal on parts and accessories. See Lance in sales. Where do you live?
Old 12-19-2004, 09:03 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ben in lj
. But, there is no justifying the hienous hesitation of their V8s by simplying calling them "new SUVs". A motor is a motor.
My hesitation was fixed with a DME remapping, as well as most other owners.

and a motor is not a motor. That comment is indicative of someone who is totally unfamiliar with the operation of a 4 cycle engine.......

I agree with your assessment that 1 qt per 1000K is unacceptable, but automobile motors are a hellava lot more complex than that comment.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:26 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Truble10
Ben,
I don't know of anyone else having the problems you are having. Everything you mention has been taken care of by Porsche through recalls. Mine had some of the issues yours had but not anymore.
Why don't you get rid of it and quite complaining.
So that's your suggestion to a Porsche owner who currently has three of them (all three bought new - and all three the top of their respective line at the time of purchase) including the latest $450k model? Does that seem the sort of solution that would be appropriate for that kind of customer? If so, then Porsche is in deep crap because all the poseurs who are sucking up today's cars (much less than are produced apparently) in place of the enthusiasts via leases up to their ***** so they can impress their neighbors are going to be unable to afford these things as their resale continues to plummet negatively affecting residuals and therefore payments.

Luckily my wife is not as bothered by the horrific hesitation as I am and that I don't drive the POS more than 5% of the time or I would indeed take the bath you think I should after less than 6 months of ownership. Also luckily, they fixed the heinous remote control and rear glass popping open problems which made the car absolutely intolerable for her. What a great experience though for her to get a new $100k SUV (it's a GD station wagon afterall!) and have to put up with that remote and rear glass crap until Porsche finally came up with a solution to it - and this after we intentionally waited a year after it came out to avoid just this crap!

PS. We've had the W516 TSB for hesitation performed and it didn't solve anything.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:38 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think we are seeing individual personalities coming through, people can draw there own conclusions.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:45 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
I think we are seeing individual personalities coming through, people can draw there own conclusions.
all those who want to dismiss reality as "personalities" make sure to read these:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...true#Post64877

anyone considering buying one of these things should do some checking on the internet and you'll find it IS a problem than is NOT currently solved.

it's just a "personality" thing afterall:

Consumer Reports:
http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/n...x.cfm/id/37626

"Both V8s feel very strong, but frustrate with nonlinear power delivery. S requires more-than-expected throttle application to really zip. Turbo responds with less-than-expected power in some situations, more than needed in others."

GM Austin
Rennteam Moderator

Reged: Tue
Loc: Texas Re: add "warning air suspension" light to the long list of [Re: bancu]
#60471 - Fri Nov 12 2004 07:35 PM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

Good find bancu.

It's hard to find reviewers who will speak openly about this. I think you know about the Edmunds review (web page) but I will post the relevant excerpt here again for others to see.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stomping on the throttle from a dead stop results in a half-second of tepid forward movement as the turbo spools up — then bam! Like Anna Nicole after spotting a Krispy Kreme, the Cayenne Turbo somehow ignores its considerable heft and simply springs into action.

A similar response occurs once the vehicle is in motion, though throttle response continued to be a notable issue for most drivers. Sometimes forward motion comes after a slight delay, other times it comes on stronger than expected (or desired). The effect is more subtle than overt, but drivers used to the refined nature of an Acura, BMW or Infiniti will notice it. We're not sure if this behavior is turbo- or transmission-related (or a combination of both), but after trolling the Cayenne car discussions boards we found several owners who had visited their local dealer to have the drivetrain controller "reflashed" with positive results.

The transmission itself proved capable of delivering positive upshifts under full-throttle conditions, and when set in "Manual" mode, it would respond quickly to up- or downshift commands sent via the steering wheel switches or shifter movement. But when left in automatic mode, with varying levels of throttle applied, it sometimes seemed to hesitate before choosing a gear. It's worth noting that Porsche has designed this transmission to "learn" driver behavior and respond accordingly. What this is supposed to result in is a transmission that "knows" when the driver wants it to hold gears during aggressive on- or off-road driving. To us, it seemed like the transmission performed well when fully engaged in either standard or aggressive driving mode, but it sometimes switched modes too early or too late (a difficult situation to avoid whenever a transmission is allowed to think for itself).

Look at all the other "personalities" having the same problem:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...fpart=all&vc=1
Old 12-19-2004, 09:47 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

right
Old 12-19-2004, 11:14 PM
boybike
Intermediate

My $0.02 Cents worth
I purchased my 05 S about 5 weeks ago. It does NOT use any oil (so far), the only problem is the PCM is a little flaky (and a new one is ordered). I have the 18" wheels with Pirelli Snow tires, Sticks to the road like glue, drives likes its on rails (5 weeks, 5K miles!), just got back from visiting my brother in VA (1K round trip), LOVE IT! great stereo and keeps me entertained!

Bruce
Old 12-19-2004, 11:24 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boybike
My $0.02 Cents worth
I purchased my 05 S about 5 weeks ago. It does NOT use any oil (so far), the only problem is the PCM is a little flaky (and a new one is ordered). I have the 18" wheels with Pirelli Snow tires, Sticks to the road like glue, drives likes its on rails (5 weeks, 5K miles!), just got back from visiting my brother in VA (1K round trip), LOVE IT! great stereo and keeps me entertained!

Bruce
Trust me Bruce when I say I am thrilled to hear you are having a great experience so far. I've got another friend who has the V6 and is similarly thrilled with his.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:37 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks like some more "personalities" are experiencing the problem that doesn't exist:

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...6940#Post67246
Old 12-20-2004, 02:39 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ben in lj
been to rennteam? we are NOT alone! when the main reason for spending an extra $50k over the S is power and that power is not available for at least a 1 second delay, that IS schitty.

the CT is the best $100k SUV that hesitates to the point of being a major safety concern (normal as per service dept), uses 1k oil every 1k miles (normal as per the service dept) and eats up tires every 6k miles (normal as per service dept). according to the service dept, not only am i not alone, but all this stuff is "normal". the other dealer in town has produced the same "success" on a friend of mines cayenne with regards to the hesitation issue as well. so apparently it is more a POS product than lame service depts.
Sounds to me like you need to switch to another dealer that has the abilities to fix these issues. Many Cayenne owners have experienced problems, but have had resolution with their dealers...
Old 12-20-2004, 09:55 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Sounds to me like you need to switch to another dealer that has the abilities to fix these issues. Many Cayenne owners have experienced problems, but have had resolution with their dealers...
Again, a friend of mine has taken his approximately a half dozen times to the only other dealer in town who has also failed to remedy the problem - and his is just the S (so not turbo lag).
Old 12-20-2004, 10:20 AM
yetis
Three Wheelin'

Just thought I would add my two cents. I have been given the CS twice in the last two months as a loaner and have driven a couple 100 miles with the loaner. While the appointment was all very nice, I know exactly what people are referring to when they say the lag. It is uncomfortable for the driver and more so for the driver. If there is a flash fix, one would think the dealer would make it as the loaner experience is essentially a very long test drive. (I tried for the GT3, but they said no....)

The loaner was an 04' with the window sticker glue still on the window (so not a customer reject). Further, I am definitely a candidate for this car. The fiancé is on my case no stop about getting a CS. So far however, the driving experience has not been a winner. That said, I was thinking the VW Touareg but now that I hear they have major issues, I don't know what to think. How anyone tried the 10 cylinder diesel Touareg?
Old 12-20-2004, 10:42 AM
REGURU
Advanced

Default Chicago Dealers

Jaro:

Thanks, Loeber was one that I was considering since it is right between where I live and work(Live near Wrigley Field & work in Northbrook). I was also considering THe Exchange & Napleton's, any thoughts? Also, does Loeber give Cayenne's as loaners when your truck is in for service or somthing else?
Old 12-20-2004, 10:46 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Truble10
It seems that you and one other person on this forum are the only ones not happy with the Cayenne. And to call it a ****ty vehicle goes too far!
Truble10,
I am going to assume (correct me if I am wrong) that I am the other person, along with ben in lj, who are not happy with the Cayenne.

Sorry, but as much of a fan of the Porsche marque as I am, I just can't get myself to drink the Kool-Aid Porsche is handing out.

I have reasons, both personally and professionally, to be disappointed in Porsche and their future plans/roadmaps.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:11 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Truble10,
I am going to assume (correct me if I am wrong) that I am the other person, along with ben in lj, who are not happy with the Cayenne.

Sorry, but as much of a fan of the Porsche marque as I am, I just can't get myself to drink the Kool-Aid Porsche is handing out.

I have reasons, both personally and professionally, to be disappointed in Porsche and their future plans/roadmaps.
Yep, too bad these problems are the fault our "personalities" instead of Porsche engineering and R&D. The only thing that pisses me off more than a material, non-fixable problem is the "it's normal" response and PCNA's lack of motivation to get involved until it starts screwing with PR - er: sales (ie: NHTSA)! I realize they're pretending it doesn't exist (at least to the customer) is just CYA'g themselves to help deal with the inevitable onslaught of liability arising from the first fatality caused by this terminal flaw.

Quick Reply: Cayenne vs. Touareg