Sponsored by:

Winter Tire/Wheel Storage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 01:34 PM
ajauch
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Tire/Wheel Storage?

Anyone have guidance on storing my summer wheels/tires over the winter? I just had my new Pirelli Scorpions installed on a spare set of rims that I picked up on e-bay. Now I have four wheels/tires in my garage.

I was thinking about just stacking them (on their sides) for the winter and covering them with a tarp or something. I've also seen advice to "over inflate" them a bit while storing.

Anyone have best practices on this?

Alex

PS: It's SNOWING in California!!! YEEEE HAW! CT will hit the snow for the first time Thursday!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 01:47 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Griots Garage has a nice cover for your summer/winter set stacked on top of each other. I have also heard to pump them up a bit to stop flatspots on sidewalls.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

You may wish to call around your area at various tire shops that do high-end vehicles. I just had the winter wheels put back on at T&T tires. They stored them for about $18. I got out the door for $21.32. When March rolls around I will have to pay another $20 to get the summer wheels back on. For me it is a real bargain.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:51 PM
JARO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blade, good recommendation. I was told once by a tire guy that one should never place the tires on their side as it weakens or damages the tire. Tire should stand upright and should have proper ventilation (do not suff into a plastic bag).
That is my .02....
Old 12-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jaro:

The tire guy you talked to didn't work for Tire Rack, because his advice directly contradicts theirs: tire storage

I don't think it reallly matters whether you store the tires upright on on their side - a tire shouldn't be permanently deformed by supporting its own weight, considering how much more loading it supports when mounted on the car. I've stored winter tires for my Audi on their side, stacked two high, for 5 years now with no problems at all.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:09 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,092 Likes on 1,256 Posts

Either way works. I would take the time to clean them. I clean them with citrus degreaser and wax them before storage but my wife thinks I'm crazy. Brake dust can reek havoc, especially on clear coat.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:16 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I have stored mounted tires for years, stacked on their side, with no problems ever occurring. I do clean up the insides and outsides of the rims before storing and they are nice and clean to move around and mount in the spring/winter time.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:18 PM
ArtL
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought 4 snow tires from Tequipment(on ebay). They came stacked.

Quick Reply: Winter Tire/Wheel Storage?