Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sad day might be approaching...

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004 | 10:45 PM
JARO
Pro

Default Sad day might be approaching...

I might be offered (95% sure of it) a business development role with my company back in Europe. Will know mid December or so. That will mean selling myu Cayenne S which I bought over a month ago. It was used 2003. I will not be able to take it with me due to the high risk of theft of such vehicle in the country I will be living in and the assignment might be as long as 2 years. Happy at the opportunity will open new doors and get me back to Europe.

Any suggestions how to sell my baby and how to deal with the loss if this indeed comes true?
Old 12-06-2004 | 11:08 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, if your company is going to transfer you back, as part of a relocation package, they will pick up incidental costs like this, or they may just give you a one time bonus to cover incidentals on each side of thee move.

Get an appraisal from a Porsche Dealership, and include the difference between what you paid for the car and the appraisal in your neegotiation.

If Europe was their idea they'll pick it up...if Europe was your idea, start sweet talking!
Old 12-06-2004 | 11:18 PM
umfan866
Racer

Jaro-

Where in Europe would you be going? I've lived in Germany and France
and never heard of a high rate of auto theft--that was always an American
thing. Course I haven't been back since the re-unification and the East bloc
countries joined the EU. Good luckwith the transition if it happens.

If you are thinking of selling...what options/mileage do you have, etc. -maybe
the guys on this board can come up with another unbiased estimate of what
it should sell for...
Old 12-06-2004 | 11:48 PM
JARO
Pro

well, I was born in Poland..every European will tell you that it is not a good dea to take a luxury SUV to Central or Eastern Europe although I saw 2 Cayenne S on Warsaw street few months back. Job will be based in Warsaw and I'm the only guy for the job as I have the langages needed (Polish and German)and experience in this division of the company (Top 10 global). If it was a 6-8 month assignment I would store by darling correctly and then dust it off upon return but that is highly unlikely. Sad part is that I will end up driving an Audi or VW or some other crap box trying hard not to stand out and risk carjacking. We might take my wife's 325i if makes sense.That will be the toughest part of it all. Taking a financial hit will not be bad as much as just not having my Cayenne.
Oh well..nothing is sad and done yet...just funny how out of everything else I need to worry about it is the car that that I have a hard time leaving behind. If I pushed hard I could possibly live in Hamburg but it is cheaper to live in Warsaw. Also bit more fun with the countrymen around.
Will keep you posted...
Old 12-09-2004 | 03:10 AM
JW3
Racer

Default Sad day might be approaching...

I live in Europe (Germany) at this time. Things have changed with the reunification - some good, some bad - and automobile theft is higher than normal (not an American thing anymore). But there is some consolation in this process - the Cayenne is not high on the theft. I mean let's face it, this is a special automobile with a special circle of owners. If you have an X5 or ML or Grand Cherokee - look out. I think you will find the BMW 325i way more likely to be stolen than your Cayenne (the 325i can be dumped by thieves real quick). And it is true that Poland is sort of know for it's disappearing automobile syndrome. But, if you have friends you should be able to get a grip on this aspect of life in Warsaw real quick.
And then there is the Hamburg or Warsaw thing. Man, if you can live in Hamburg GO FOR IT ! Fantastic place. Warsaw is nice and having the friends there is nice, but make it a favorite place to visit - live in Hamburg.
When all else fails, bring the Cayenne to Warsaw and sell it there (look at it as a sweet reward). With the current EURO exchange rate (0.7313 Euro cents to the US Dollar today) you might be surprised with what you get have your friends check it out for you. And last but not least, if you do sell your CS (in the US or Poland) remember, you are a short drive from the factory in Leipzig when it is time for a new Cayenne.
There are many Cayenne’s on the road here in Germany, France, Austria, Italy Switzerland (see them all the time) and although it may have happened, I personally have yet to hear of a single theft - of the vehicle. Some times you do hear of idiots stealing the colored wheel center caps (they are beautiful). But even that is rare because of the circle of ownership among Porsche-philes.
Good luck with your decision and enjoy Europe (nothing to fear over here but the exchange rate). Remember a great old American football saying - 'the best defense is a great offense'. JW
Old 12-09-2004 | 03:39 PM
JARO
Pro

JW3 thanks for the encouraging note and the info. Friend of mine told me that you are risking it if you drive around in a A8 or S class MB. I've seen several Cayenne's around town during my visit there few months ago. I'll se what I can get down there. I think Porsche either has or will be opening a service center in Warsaw soon. I intend on parking the car in a underground garage in best part of town. I'll let you all what my decision was. Indeed the good thing about a Beige Cayenne in Warsaw it that they are easy to be spotted and if it is outfitted with the right security optons it will make it difficult to be stolen.....I was actually surprised with the selection of late model cars on Warsaw streets...I can always insure it properly as well.
Where in Germany do you live?
Old 12-09-2004 | 04:40 PM
426H
Advanced

Bring a couple of 2005 Mustang GT:s as well. They are selling like hell for $56000 over here. I ordered one from canada today. It will be a summer toy and then I will sell it with a nice profit next autum.
Old 12-10-2004 | 09:11 AM
JW3
Racer

Unfortunately, the closest dealer to the Polish area is probably located either Rostock, Cottbus, Eberswalde or Berlin, Germany. I can't see a date for the grand opening in Warsaw.
I currently live in South West, Germany and it is a great area and lots of good driving to be done here. As you may have seen from my own threads, I am in the process of deciding on either the CTT or CS at this time (in addition to saving some large Doubloons). However, I did test drive the 'S' and I will tell you that doing 230 KPH (142.9 MPH) in the Cayenne S is very nice and cruising at 130 MPH is a true treat - LEGALLY. I am looking forward to a test drive in the CTT soon. But even that magic 'no speed limit' is in danger of extinction in Germany.
And the note about the new Mustang GT is true - very true. But remember the customs and added value tax adds about 22-24% to the price of the car if done legally. So, calculate carefully.
Good luck. JW
Old 12-10-2004 | 05:11 PM
DutchCS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JW3

And the note about the new Mustang GT is true - very true. But remember the customs and added value tax adds about 22-24% to the price of the car if done legally. So, calculate carefully.
Good luck. JW

Buy it 6 months before you leave and move it as part of your household inventory....no import taxes.

Quick Reply: Sad day might be approaching...