Sponsored by:

Cayenne Turbo in for laundry list of service items

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 01:40 AM
QKENUFF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil consumption on TT

My 04 Cay TT also loves its oil. 3 qts in 4,500 mi. getting better though with use. Seems high though considering emmissions regs etc. It's not a Lawnboy" after all.
Old 11-30-2004, 01:44 AM
Vino
Racer

Ben,

I have heard a few people go to a 10-30 or 10-40 dino oil for 6k+ miles or until oil consumption stopped to help seat the rings better after having the oil consumption problem. I don't know, maybe our engines didn't have a full break-in done on the test bed at the factory.

May be worth giving a shot as it won't hurt anything and may solve your problem, then go back to
M1 0-40 or a higher quality oil which we eventually plan to do after 15k.

For some inspiration, the 1qt/ 1000 is not a defect. Bring it up to temp with care and have some fun with it for 2000 miles and see if the consumption lowers, it's just a matter of time when it gets better.

Your tire issue sucks, our front had very minimal wear, no problems on the rears.
Porsche needs to buy you some tires.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:59 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Ben,

You may want to approach some of these questions.

When was the build date on your CT? I am assume you took care durring the break in period, was there any mileage on the car when you bought it? First 500 miles are most critical. Do you constantly run the rpms to red line or are do you keep it in the lower range? What kind of driving conditions do you experiance traffic/city or open highway? Do you allow the engine to come up to operating temp before pushing it hard? IMO these areas can be of concern regarding oil consumption and engine life.

I have 3k miles on mine now and see absolutly no drop in oil at all. I did have problems with the remote learning the settings initially but it eventually resolved itself. I can open and lock my doors from 30 feet through the walls. I have had some strange issues with the CD changer and once the stereo shut off for no reason and would not come back on unless I turned off the ignition but all else seems to be fine other than the condensation in the headlights, which I will bring it in for eventually.

I have to agree with the others though 1 qt/1k miles is too much. I do not see that kind of oil consumption on my 94 turbo and I would expect it more form the earlier air cooled cars.

Good Luck
Old 11-30-2004, 11:10 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Ben,

You may want to approach some of these questions.

When was the build date on your CT? I am assume you took care durring the break in period, was there any mileage on the car when you bought it? First 500 miles are most critical. Do you constantly run the rpms to red line or are do you keep it in the lower range? What kind of driving conditions do you experiance traffic/city or open highway? Do you allow the engine to come up to operating temp before pushing it hard? IMO these areas can be of concern regarding oil consumption and engine life.

I have 3k miles on mine now and see absolutly no drop in oil at all. I did have problems with the remote learning the settings initially but it eventually resolved itself. I can open and lock my doors from 30 feet through the walls. I have had some strange issues with the CD changer and once the stereo shut off for no reason and would not come back on unless I turned off the ignition but all else seems to be fine other than the condensation in the headlights, which I will bring it in for eventually.

I have to agree with the others though 1 qt/1k miles is too much. I do not see that kind of oil consumption on my 94 turbo and I would expect it more form the earlier air cooled cars.

Good Luck
Unfortunately, I thought I was being wise waiting until 6/04 to buy a CT (after hearing of all the bugs) only to realize later I bought a fairly early 04 build that had been sitting for a while. It had about 30 or 40 miles on it if memory serves, and my wife has driven it like a grandma since it was new. I highly doubt she ever redlines the car even after it's warmed up. My driving is a completely diff story but I drive it so seldom (well under 5%) that it shouldn't be relevant.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:29 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

That shoots those ideas in the foot. Mine is about the same although I have put about 50% of the miles on it. Your wife sounds like she drives like mine so the problem is not there. Unless she is out drag racing when you are not looking. Very low mileage on delivery so no chance of being used for test drives and pushed to hard when new. The build date may have something to do about the other issues but i don't think it should cause excessive oil consumption. Have you tried following your wife around to see if there is any evidence of burning oil? It has to go somewhere?
Old 11-30-2004, 12:15 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ben in lj

The car is 95%+ driven by my wife who drives it like a grandmother.
Ben:

That may be the problem. Your rings may not have seated yet and your consumption is probably oil bypass. They may never seat if driven like a grandmother.

My .02; don't change the breakin oil until 18-20K and you drive the sucker like it should be driven (bring it up to 6K-lower gears). Ring seating is managed wear.
Old 11-30-2004, 12:22 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Have you tried following your wife around to see if there is any evidence of burning oil? It has to go somewhere?"

Yep, I've been behind her and there is no visable smoke.

Originally Posted by Torags
Ben:

That may be the problem. Your rings may not have seated yet and your consumption is probably oil bypass. They may never seat if driven like a grandmother.

My .02; don't change the breakin oil until 18-20K and you drive the sucker like it should be driven (bring it up to 6K-lower gears). Ring seating is managed wear.
Maybe I need to drive the **** out of it for her :-)
Old 11-30-2004, 02:13 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ben in lj
Maybe I need to drive the **** out of it for her :-)
Yup........ enjoy....
Old 11-30-2004, 11:26 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default looks like i forgot one...

little to no air coming out of rear vents (love this wonderful luxury feature since my infant daughter rides back there). then again, one of the items needing repair (TSB for the fogged up headlights) is awaiting receipt of parts which will necessitate another trip anyway.

they did fix the remotes which were a MAJOR source of frustration with this turd.

1 qt/every 1k was considered normal.

intermitent "warning air suspension failure" notices were addressed via "performed code retrieval and found all pass codes". so i guess this can't be fixed unless it miraculously decides to act up while at the dealer.

hesitation issue was addressed and while mildly better, still sucks ****. "test drove and operates to spec". pretty damn sad "specs" for a vehicle whose justification for being $10s of thousands above the competition is it's sporty performance.

memory seat forgets settings and goes blank - "operates to spec". oh ok, i wasn't aware spec was to periodically forget and clear the settings.

rear park assist much weaker than when new (ie: we have to get right up against the object - within about a foot - before it goes off and by that time it's almost a solid notice). "system only recognizes objects directly behind vehicle, not at sides". gee, no schit?

needless to say, i'm SO glad we leased this POS instead of buying it. they can have it at the end if we don't just chuck it before.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:35 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 92 Posts

ben,
Wow, those are some of the strongest words I've heard to describe the Cayenne. Sorry to hear about your dissapointment. I've had the complete opposite experience with my CTT. I would not trade mine for anything else on the road.
Maybe you should try a lexus LX 470. Nice truck and very reliable.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:48 PM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Truble10
ben,
Wow, those are some of the strongest words I've heard to describe the Cayenne. Sorry to hear about your dissapointment. I've had the complete opposite experience with my CTT. I would not trade mine for anything else on the road.
Maybe you should try a lexus LX 470. Nice truck and very reliable.
The GX470 was our second choice (we didn't want a vehicle as big as the LX) but we paid the almost 100% premium over the GX because I had such afantastic 4 year experience with the reliability and quality of my 996. Further, we took it over the GX for the extra power which I most certainly wouldn't have done had I known it isn't available until you count to "one thousand one"+. My wife and are so bummed the GX is so ugly because at this point, it's a no brainer.

BTW, this all has me worried about what I am in for when the CGT gets here in December. Will it be like our POS Cayenne or our wonderful 996?
Old 12-01-2004, 12:41 AM
Vino
Racer

Wow, I guess some of us are sorry to hear you have a POS.

Our TT has been great.
I am almost ready to swear that 03 builds are better than 04, maybe demand was slow and they took their time to build them better, ours is 8/03 build.

There has been a lot of unhappy Porsche owners this last month.

Maybe your dealer isn't up to par.
When we took ours in, we had the same stuff done on ours and all parts were there and was completed promptly.

The hesitation is amazing, when I drive the car, I drive it like a grandma, when my mother drives it for a week or 2 and I get in it, the hesitation seems to go away, she is a more agressive driver. No matter who is driving and the car is hammered, the power is instant. Maybe you need to adapt it to your driving style.

I think the only thing shared with the CGT is the stater. Other than that should be an impressive car.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:17 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ben, who is your dealer ?
Old 12-01-2004, 10:42 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vino
Wow, I guess some of us are sorry to hear you have a POS.

Our TT has been great.
I am almost ready to swear that 03 builds are better than 04, maybe demand was slow and they took their time to build them better, ours is 8/03 build.

There has been a lot of unhappy Porsche owners this last month.

Maybe your dealer isn't up to par.
When we took ours in, we had the same stuff done on ours and all parts were there and was completed promptly.

The hesitation is amazing, when I drive the car, I drive it like a grandma, when my mother drives it for a week or 2 and I get in it, the hesitation seems to go away, she is a more agressive driver. No matter who is driving and the car is hammered, the power is instant. Maybe you need to adapt it to your driving style.

I think the only thing shared with the CGT is the stater. Other than that should be an impressive car.
Is it hesitation you are feeling? Or is it the system adjusting for driving habits of the individual driver. The CT adjusts boost pressure prior to the throttle valve constantly optimizing it for low fuel consumption. This is done by only allowing low pressure ahead of the throttle valve. If it senses an aggressive driving style it adjusts to a higher boost pressure ahead of the throttle valve. The purpose of this is that when the valve is opened at part throttle the turbos are already running at a higher speed attaining full boost very quickly. This is done to reduce turbo lag or in your case obtain maximum fuel economy.

I find when my wife drives the car for a while and I get in it has a rather sluggish laggy feel to it. All it takes is a full punch to the throttle and a more aggressive driving style to go back to its normal aggressive nature.

I am sorry to here all of these problems, for me so far it has been the best new car experience i have had in quite some time.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:05 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Is it hesitation you are feeling? Or is it the system adjusting for driving habits of the individual driver. The CT adjusts boost pressure prior to the throttle valve constantly optimizing it for low fuel consumption. This is done by only allowing low pressure ahead of the throttle valve. If it senses an aggressive driving style it adjusts to a higher boost pressure ahead of the throttle valve. The purpose of this is that when the valve is opened at part throttle the turbos are already running at a higher speed attaining full boost very quickly. This is done to reduce turbo lag or in your case obtain maximum fuel economy.

I find when my wife drives the car for a while and I get in it has a rather sluggish laggy feel to it. All it takes is a full punch to the throttle and a more aggressive driving style to go back to its normal aggressive nature.

I am sorry to here all of these problems, for me so far it has been the best new car experience i have had in quite some time.
I'm not sure, but she's had a buttload of cars in the 12 years we've been together, and this is the first one that exhibited Ford Pinto characteristics when it was my (or her) turn to drive it. You hammer the acclerator and count to "one thousand one" plus before you get any response. Porsche engineers have got to be proud of themselves.

Hoehn is my dealer with whom I'm quite satisfied. They are just repeating the "we don't give a schit" type responses PCNA has seen fit to give their dealers.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Turbo in for laundry list of service items